DOC Knives

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
conslade
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

DOC Knives

Post by conslade »

This weekend, at the Tulsa gun show, I picked a beautiful camp knife made by DOC Knives. His logo has what looks to be a bear paw on it. It is a really well made piece, with a super thin blade taper. Burl handle scales, nickel silver bolsters and a nice leather sheath, with his logo on it. Blade is 8" with an OAL of 12 1/2". Does anyone know who DOC is and where he is from. I want to find out more about this one.
Attachments
DSCN1020.JPG
DSCN1021.JPG
DSCN1022.JPG
DSCN1025.JPG
DSCN1026.JPG
DSCN1027.JPG
We are all smarter than any one of us. Let us learn from each other.
Eye Brand Man

Re: DOC Knives

Post by Eye Brand Man »

Don't have any info on DOC knives. But I can tell you thats a fine knife ::tu:: Defiantly made by a maker that knows what hes doing. Love the hamon on the blade.
Eye Brand Collector
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Don't know the maker but that is one drop dead gorgeous knife! Can't believe how thin that tapered tang is! ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Beautiful knife Slade. Looks like a forged blade with Hamon. Do you know what wood the handles are? They look like ironwood to me.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

The burl in that wood is just drop dead gorgeous!!
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

btrwtr wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:07 am Beautiful knife Slade. Looks like a forged blade with Hamon. Do you know what wood the handles are? They look like ironwood to me.
It looks a bit like osage orange wood.
conslade
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by conslade »

Not sure what the wood is, but it is a good looking piece of burl. The guy I got the knife from didn't know anything about the knife or the maker, but he said he was into it pretty deep. I traded him a new Voorhies subhilt for it. The taper on the tang almost comes to a knife edge.
We are all smarter than any one of us. Let us learn from each other.
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

What a beautiful knife!
I think it's terrific just for the size and the tapered tang.
Joe
buddyie22

Post by buddyie22 »

Not sure what a Harmon is ? Wise me up.
Honey do you have your pocket knife ? Do I have my pants on?
Montanaman

Post by Montanaman »

A hamon is a line of differential heat treat between the martensite and pearlite structure of the steel. The knife shown may or may not have a hamon, it can be easily etched to look like a hamon. I have searched and can not find anything on this maker, but the use of such a dramatic tapered tang would suggest he is a credible maker.
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Montanaman wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:48 pm A hamon is a line of differential heat treat between the martensite and pearlite structure of the steel. The knife shown may or may not have a hamon, it can be easily etched to look like a hamon. I have searched and can not find anything on this maker, but the use of such a dramatic tapered tang would suggest he is a credible maker.
I am far from being an expert but that hamon line does not look to be etched in the magnified versions of the pictures. What I find unusual when you magnify them is it appears that there is either a series of grind lines running parallel to the blade but they look like they continue right on to the tang(ricasso). I'm not sure if they were put in by sanding because the edge where the blade grind ends is very sharp and polishing with sandpaper would tend to soften that edge in my opinion. Anyone have any ideas on that? I still think it is beautiful knife.
Montanaman

Post by Montanaman »

knife7knut wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:20 pm I am far from being an expert but that hamon line does not look to be etched in the magnified versions of the pictures. What I find unusual when you magnify them is it appears that there is either a series of grind lines running parallel to the blade but they look like they continue right on to the tang(ricasso). I'm not sure if they were put in by sanding because the edge where the blade grind ends is very sharp and polishing with sandpaper would tend to soften that edge in my opinion. Anyone have any ideas on that? I still think it is beautiful knife.
The grind lines running parallel are consistent with a hand sanded finish. It is a nice knife and I am not saying that it isn't differentially heat treated, just hard to be sure with out knowing the maker. The O.P. could try posting in the Custom and Handmade on Bladeforums, Jim Cooper(Sharp by Coop) is very good at reconizeing makers marks and has some material to look it up. Most of my knives with a hamon, have a more whispi and non uniform look.

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”