IXL GEORGE WOSTENHOLM CELEBRATED CUTLERY KNIFE

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
olderdogs1

IXL GEORGE WOSTENHOLM CELEBRATED CUTLERY KNIFE

Post by olderdogs1 »

Pictured here is an IXL George Wostenholm Celebrated Cutlery Mother of pearl knife. It is 3 5/8" closed. The corkscrew seems too small for a wine bottle. It shows no use or country of origin. According to the books I have this stamp dated back in the 1800's. Can anyone shed some light on it. It came with a roll of very old knives, but the condition of this one is really good. Any help would be appreciated. ::tu::

Tom
Attachments
320.JPG
331.JPG
337.JPG
328.JPG
knife7knut

Re: IXL GEORGE WOSTENHOLM CELEBRATED CUTLERY KNIFE

Post by knife7knut »

This one is a bit of a puzzler. The stamp does not look like a Celebrated style stamp to me;something about the font doesn't seem right. The hand made corkscrew looks correct. The divided pearl handles are something that you usually find on German made knives pre-WWII. Also the clip master blade doesn't look right to me.
Maybe I'm being overly suspicious;I'll see what others have to say.
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
olderdogs1

Post by olderdogs1 »

knife7knut wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:16 am This one is a bit of a puzzler. The stamp does not look like a Celebrated style stamp to me;something about the font doesn't seem right. The hand made corkscrew looks correct. The divided pearl handles are something that you usually find on German made knives pre-WWII. Also the clip master blade doesn't look right to me.
Maybe I'm being overly suspicious;I'll see what others have to say.
Do you think the corkscrew was for a pill bottle?

Tom
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

olderdogs1 wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:08 am

Do you think the corkscrew was for a pill bottle?

Tom
It's possible;in that era there were no screw tops;most smaller bottles(perfume and medical to name two)were sealed with small corks. I don't think it is too small to remove corks from a wine bottle though.
Here is a pic of a tang stamp from that era(on a quill knife) and how it compares to yours. Both knives are about the same size. Note the difference in the letters.The ones on my knife look almost like they are individually hand stamped(I don't think they are)and on yours how even they are.
Attachments
Geo.WostenholmIXLQuillKnife1 002.jpg
337.JPG
337.JPG (20.6 KiB) Viewed 1717 times
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
olderdogs1

Post by olderdogs1 »

Thanks Knife7knut, it has me puzzled as well. The whole idea of counterfeiting a knife like this one doesn’t add up financially. The knife shows no evidence that I can see of ever having been apart. Frankly if it looked weathered and beat up I wouldn’t question it at all or if it showed evidence of being cleaned. I really appreciate your comments. ::tu::

Thanks,
Tom
raincrowe

Post by raincrowe »

Check this post see if it helps

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=62560
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Everything i say here is a guess or impression, not solid facts. I think the tang marking is o.k. The corkscrew is wine bottle size. The perfume/medicine bottle corkscrews are much smaller. What confounds me is the pattern and the 'cigar band' on the pearl handles look very much like vintage German knives. It does not look like a late 1800's Sheffield pattern to me.
A Sheffield collector of some experience is required here.
kj
olderdogs1

Post by olderdogs1 »

raincrowe wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:22 pm Check this post see if it helps

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=62560
Thanks, much appreciated.
Tom
olderdogs1

Post by olderdogs1 »

kootenay joe wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:04 pm Everything i say here is a guess or impression, not solid facts. I think the tang marking is o.k. The corkscrew is wine bottle size. The perfume/medicine bottle corkscrews are much smaller. What confounds me is the pattern and the 'cigar band' on the pearl handles look very much like vintage German knives. It does not look like a late 1800's Sheffield pattern to me.
A Sheffield collector of some experience is required here.
kj
Thanks Roland, I hear you on the wine opener but not sure about that. I open a bottle every week and wouldn’t want to risk this knife to do it. May look bigger in the pictures. Yes a Sheffield experienced person would be great. Actually I believe Knife7knut is as good as they come. I think the stamps look good to me in person as well but yes,the frame does resemble some vintage German knives I have seen. The thing that is perplexing is that the knife shows no signs of ever being apart and functions perfectly. Thanks for the comments, much appreciated.

Tom

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”