What do ya think

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

What do ya think

Post by garddogg56 »

Scales like an old Ulster ,bolster like my old Union Cut CO ::hmm:: ::hmm:: ::hmm:: blade and long nail nic like I don't know what ::paranoid:: nice well made knife I got at an antique shop,had to buy for ten bucks ::super_happy::tang stamp is wore off,what brand do ya think she is?????Thanx
Attachments
IMG_0941.JPG
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
FRJ

Re: What do ya think

Post by FRJ »

Open ended long pulls on both blades, Dogg. They must have been sizable blades when new. Which was a long time ago.
Somebody did some good bench work on it, I'd say.
A fine packer and a good conversation piece for those that know knives.
Good catch. ::tu::
Joe
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

Thanx Joe ::handshake:: the blades fill the well and I've never seen such long pulls.
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

Looks to me like somebody is really handy with a milling machine and made a couple blades to put in the old frame. I doubt it ever had a name stamped into it. It's probably a pretty handy carrier if they got the temper right.____Dave
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

I think Dave is on to something...about the blades not being original. Your knife reminds me of a Henry Sears, of mine. On my knife...I deleted a broken secondary blade; so, the back pin is not original. Obviously my main blade has a lot of wear. I think the knife and image is shifted a bit...closed length is fairly close to 3 1/4 inches. Although jigging appears a little different, bone and bolsters and shield appear very similar. The blade pins on both knives appear somewhat off center, in the same direction. Even the shields have a slight cant, in the same direction. Don't know if they are the same or not ::shrug::
henry.jpg
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Looking at both knives, did y’all notice both shields are a bit out of line or are my old eyes out of focus? I think the frames are the same.
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

treefarmer wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:32 am Looking at both knives, did y’all notice both shields are a bit out of line or are my old eyes out of focus? I think the frames are the same.
Treefarmer
I agree...I had just edited my comment to include that and the pin location on the blades is off center in the same direction.
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Those are some really looooooooong pulls, never seen any blades like that. ::shrug::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Whomever made those blades obviously had some machining skills but had very little knowledge of blade shapes.The belly of that master blade is all wrong and the point is not symmetrical.As for the secondary blade it is way too long for a pen blade and the point is incorrectly shaped.The long pulls are reminiscent of real early English knives.
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
richard

Post by richard »

here is a knife i have , stamped ULSTER wright & willimy co.
has one long pull.and one small pull ?
bone and shield look similar?
Attachments
003.JPG
TPK

Post by TPK »

garddogg56 wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:57 pm Scales like an old Ulster ,bolster like my old Union Cut CO ::hmm:: ::hmm:: ::hmm:: blade and long nail nic like I don't know what ::paranoid:: nice well made knife I got at an antique shop,had to buy for ten bucks ::super_happy::tang stamp is wore off,what brand do ya think she is?????Thanx
Whatever it is, it's interesting. And for 10 Bucks you couldn't go wrong. Great find! ::tu:: ::super_happy::
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

I think it is a very interesting product of practical ingenuity. Some one probably brought it back to life to wear it out again. Great find. Excellent price. ::nod:: ::nod:: ::tu:: ::tu::
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

Thanx guys she really is an interesting knife.My blades are offset to the pin and like TF states the shield is out of line
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”