What is this?

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
Dgood187

What is this?

Post by Dgood187 »

So I have this case doctors knife I know it’s a 2008 but I have never seen one with custom filed springs engraved bolsters and numbered anyone know what it is an what it’s worth?
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: What is this?

Post by treefarmer »

Dgood187,
I've had a Case Trapper for years that has beautiful file work on the springs. I presented it to the forum some years ago and the response was that it did not come from the factory with embellished spring work even though it doesn't appear the knife was ever apart. Conclusion, it was done by a skilled craftsman but not by Case. I don't know if Case now does this to factory knives. ::shrug:: The additional number 033 on the pen blade of your doctor's knife probably shows it was one of a special group. Maybe some one on the forum will have more specific information on your knife.
Let me also say welcome to AAPK! ::handshake::
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

DGood...Welcome aboard AAPK. Hope you find the answer to your knife. It is a unique looking one. ::tu::
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

I've got a pearl Copperhead with factory filed backsprings. And ::welcome:: to AAPK!
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Welcome to AAPK. Most likely the knife was modified after leaving the factory. The numbers”33” on the blade doesn’t look to me like the limited edition knives I’ve seen that come from Case - they’re usually numbered on the bolsters. There are a number of different artisans who do that type of work and resell the knives for a mark up. There is obviously a market for such knives but I don’t know what the value is.

The other possibility is, Case occasionally does some embellishment at the factory in their model shop. But those knives are typically one of a kind, with handles of rare materials (yours looks like standard Case “6.5 BoneStag”) to be auctioned for charity at a dealer/customer special event.

You can contact Case at consumer-relations@wrcase.com with pictures of the knife and ask them if they did it in house and if so, what they can tell you about it.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
hardman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by hardman »

As 1967redrider said, occasionally Case does some factory embellishments.

In 1982, Case did a Mother Of Pearl set that included a 8254 Trapper. an 8207 Mini Trapper, and an 8249 Copperhead. They were a VERY expensive set sold in an oak display box with a glass top. Most importantly, each of those MOP knives had factory filework that matches the filework on the knife in the opening post exactly. So, there is precedent that Case did factory filework like that shown on Dgood187's knife. That said, I know of no knives from 2008 nor with 6.5 Bonestag that had that filework.
Gary

"Now it cuts like a knife, but it feels so right." Bryan Adams
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

It could have been a club knife (numbers stamped on the blade make me think that).
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”