Old pick bone

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Old pick bone

Post by Old Folder »

I believe all the below qualify. ::shrug::

Winchester Trademark Made in U.S.A.
IMG_0013 16.JPG
IMG_0012 17.JPG

Cattaraugus Cutlery Co. Little Valley N.Y. U.S.A.
IMG_0056.JPG
IMG_0057 1.JPG
IMG_0054.JPG

Henry Sears & Son 1865 U.S.A.
IMG_0020 (2) 3.JPG
IMG_0019 (2) 4.JPG

New York Knife Co. Walden / Hammer Brand.
IMG_0005 (2) 11.JPG
IMG_0011 (2) 5.JPG
IMG_0012 (2) 7.JPG
It's always important to know what you don't know.
Dan
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

Barnett Tool HHH 1900-1915.
IMG_0007 12.JPG
IMG_0011 9.JPG
IMG_0010 12.JPG
IMG_0005 (2).JPG
Dan
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

Maher & Grosh Antique Yellow Pick Bone Boys Knife.
Great-Eastern-Cutlery-15-SFO-Boys-Knife-Maher.jpg
Great-Eastern-Cutlery-15-SFO-Boys-Knife-Maher.jpg (35.85 KiB) Viewed 3348 times
Dan
wiseguy

Post by wiseguy »

For the most part certain brands can be dated by the bone, for example the second from the top would be considered early on in the lineage of the Press Button knife Co.s products as well as the smaller double end knife, later on the picked bone became more of a jigged type of look, here's some examples.
Attachments
Pressbutton%20group%20shot%20020.JPG
PBKC 100 3-4 .jpg
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

Another link which is pertinent. It is referenced in the link which dlr110 provided on page 1 of this thread. It also talks about the changes with pocket wear, as Tongueriver brought up on the previous page.

http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/kni ... ne#p188614

New York Knife Co. and Schrade are also two other examples of the use of pick bone on early knives (In addition to Press Button, mentioned above by wiseguy).
I think it is generally acknowledged that NYK knives with pick bone are considered to be early in the life of NYKC. Most of the NYK knives posted on here have the very distinctive NYK jigging, which is not pick bone.
Pick bone was used on the earlier Schrade knives as well. The photos below show Charlie C's (Upnorth) ideas on the progression of Schrade jigging. I didn't ask, but don't think he will mind me posting these here (they are actually posted in this link http://allaboutpocketknives.com/knife_f ... one#p95400.
SchradeBone1.jpg
Top left - pick bone
Top right - divot
Bottom left - basket weave
Bottom right - peach seed
SchradeBone2.jpg
Left - pick; Right - divot

As I said previously, I have no idea how far back pick bone goes, but, I believe that it was not used after the early 1920s? Just my opinion
Dan
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

There are some nice knives shown on this thread. But I have to confess that I am somewhat confused about the definition of pick bone. The first two knives posted, Joe's Brantford Cutlery Co and Richard's Ulster, are more or less what I think of as pick bone. But if all the others are pick bone, then it seems to me that pick bone is just a synonym for jigged.
Mel
wiseguy

Post by wiseguy »

I think "picked" was done by hand and "jigged " by machine from what I gathered
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

wiseguy wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:31 pm I think "picked" was done by hand and "jigged " by machine from what I gathered
Not 100% sure that I'm correct, but this is also my understanding.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
Waukonda
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Waukonda »

There are some really nice knives pictured here, and very informative posts, by all participants. Thanks!
Ike
royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by royal0014 »

WOW !
y'all are killin' it with all these lovely knives
::ds::

It seems the definition of 'pick bone' is as varied as the knives themselves ....
Chris
i woke last night to the sound of thunder
how far off i sat and wondered
started humming a song from nineteen sixty two
aint it funny how the night moves
wlf

Post by wlf »

Dinadan wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:34 pm There are some nice knives shown on this thread. But I have to confess that I am somewhat confused about the definition of pick bone. The first two knives posted, Joe's Brantford Cutlery Co and Richard's Ulster, are more or less what I think of as pick bone. But if all the others are pick bone, then it seems to me that pick bone is just a synonym for jigged.
Exactly what most experienced collectors believe Mel. ::tu:: ::tu:: You know everybody has a view , but what they describe is different.

The consensus by vintage collectors of the term pickbone ( however it was made) is the type of handles below.
a pickbone.jpg
tongueriver wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:18 pm When the covers on a jigged bone knife get really pocket-worn, they look more and more like 'picked bone.' Just sayin'. They don't always start out looking like that.
this is what very pocket worn pickbone looks like. Still visible are the darker hatching(?) that uderlies most all pickbone handles I've seen( can be seen in above scan). I suppose these were to increase grip, not just ascetics, being deeper than other divots on the bone handles.
:
Ulster misspelled (5).JPG
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
wlf

Post by wlf »

I really enjoy this discussion. I was thrown back into this by Lloyd posting a pickbone Ulster and a NYK. I have Walden , DE Empire, and a practically unused NYK FJ's.

On left-Walden Right DE Empire:
Empire  comparison & Walden.jpg

This is an example of pickbone without being pocket worn 4" NYK FJ:
NYK pickbone etch Hammer Brand.jpg
Please show your pickbones .
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

Lyle
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

wlf wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:57 pm
Dinadan wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:34 pm There are some nice knives shown on this thread. But I have to confess that I am somewhat confused about the definition of pick bone. The first two knives posted, Joe's Brantford Cutlery Co and Richard's Ulster, are more or less what I think of as pick bone. But if all the others are pick bone, then it seems to me that pick bone is just a synonym for jigged.
Exactly what most experienced collectors believe Mel. ::tu:: ::tu:: You know everybody has a view , but what they describe is different.

The consensus by vintage collectors of the term pickbone ( however it was made) is the type of handles below.
a pickbone.jpg
tongueriver wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:18 pm When the covers on a jigged bone knife get really pocket-worn, they look more and more like 'picked bone.' Just sayin'. They don't always start out looking like that.
this is what very pocket worn pickbone looks like. Still visible are the darker hatching(?) that uderlies most all pickbone handles I've seen( can be seen in above scan). I suppose these were to increase grip, not just ascetics, being deeper than other divots on the bone handles.
:Ulster misspelled (5).JPG
Exactly what I think of as pick bone.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
wlf

Post by wlf »

The knives I collect are an old and practically obsolete pattern, which lends many of them to pickbone handles.

Lyle
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Lots of nice pick bone above ::tu:: ::tu:: ... There's just something about pick bone that screams nice old bone :) ..

Here's one of my favorites - Holley Hawkbill Pruner - both mark and pile sides..

Mark Side DSCN8608.JPG
Pile Side DSCN8616.JPG

and a Miller Bros Small Rope knife with some pick bone jigging...

Mark Side DSCN0756.JPG
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Great looking old, historic knives! They have all been quality collector pieces. ::tu:: ::tu:: ::groove::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”