Case peanut mastodon ivory???

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
Jstice

Case peanut mastodon ivory???

Post by Jstice »

Back around 2002 or 2003 I bought a 1 of 250 “mammoth ivory” case peanut knife. At least that’s what I thought. The box actually lists the pattern as mastodon ivory but I can’t find anything anywhere about a case peanut mastadon ivory that was ever produced. I’d really like to find out how much it’s worth, I paid a couple hundred for it at the time. Anybody know anything about these or know where I could find more information?
Attachments
51AE6972-9217-4398-AA01-54C8BBC5CE6C.jpeg
8A557785-5B6D-4DA2-8DCC-1EA448C9B518.jpeg
just bob

Re: Case peanut mastodon ivory???

Post by just bob »

I spoke with a man yesterday that repairs knives and he told me that he had just taken off a set of mastodon ivory handles from a Case Cheetah and replaced them because the owner didn't like them. So at least you know there are others out there. The reason that you may not see a lot about them maybe the ivory bans? Here are some I see.

https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ca ... -prototype

http://authorizedknifedealeroutlet.com/mammoth.html
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

Case did do a Mastodon Ivory series in 2004 of the Case Select. I have had a number of them and a peanut was included.
This is what I have left a 5 Blade Sowbelly Pattern # TB891539 SS. Could you show a photo of tang Stamp . Should have come in metal tin with a COA.
Thanks Gary
Attachments
IMG_5458.JPG
IMG_5459.JPG
IMG_5460.JPG
Jstice

Post by Jstice »

Mine came in the plain green box and no certificate of any kind. Im not sure if you can see the tang stamp we’ll enough in this picture. I’ll try to get a better one later.
Attachments
00E4936C-58F8-44D6-95D2-DAA843DFF72B.jpeg
A02E226F-BAB1-48E1-BD9D-9F736A64B75A.jpeg
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Case made a lot of these mastodon ivory knives in the early 2000s, in various patterns.. Those I’ve seen have some stunningly beautiful “bark” ivory.
Value now is probably about the same as what you paid for it new. Sold listings on eBay are a good comparable for value. You’ll need to be creative though in how you search, as I think eBay's “censors” are triggered by the “I” word.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

I'll ask the obvious question, what is the difference between mammoth ivory and mastodon ivory ? Do they look the same ?
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Good question - I looked it up https://www.livescience.com/34446-mammo ... todon.html

Whether the makers of modern day knives know that or not, who knows? I sure didn’t. ::shrug::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Jstice

Post by Jstice »

I originally thought they were the same and they do look very similar.
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

Is that an actual crack running through the pin of the peanut, or is that just an unfortunate part of the natural texture?
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
Jstice

Post by Jstice »

It’s just the texture.

I’m now trying to figure out not only how much to sell it for but also where I can sell it. eBay and Facebook have both delisted it, I guess because of the ivory ban
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

If you are a supporting member on here is a good place to sell it ::tu::
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

For some additional info on Mastodons vs Mammoths, including differences in their tusks & teeth, this is an interesting article.
https://www.amnh.org/explore/news-blogs ... r-mastodon

I've been to the American Museum of Natural History in NYC (alongside Central Park) and seen these exact displays - they are awesome!! The American Museum of Natural History is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. It was absolutely fascinating.
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”