Strange locking mechanism

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
BarryB333

Strange locking mechanism

Post by BarryB333 »

I recently acquired a small, one blade folder approximately 4” in length closed. The base of the blade near the bolster has a “hook” in it that is in the shape of a small bottle opener. There is pin inside the handle that is at right angles to the handle and slides freely in small grooves on each side of the handle (inside), allowing the pin to fall from one end of the groove to the other, depending on which end of the knife is pointing up. In one position, when the blade is closed, the hook engages the pin and locks the blade, which is under spring tension. If the knife is turned so the other end of the handle is pointed up and you push down on the blade against the spring tension, the pin slides free of the hook and the blade can be opened. The opposite procedure will lock it. The pin slides toward one end of the knife or the other depending on which end of the knife is pointed up. I’ve never seen a locking mechanism like this before. It works well. Does anyone have info on this kind of mechanism?
Ropeman

Re: Strange locking mechanism

Post by Ropeman »

I have 2 knives that lock closed just like that, but mine are only about 2.5" closed length. If memory serves me correctly that are made by Imperial. I don't know any other details about the knife, but it is a very interesting mechanism and I've never seen any other knife like if.

Post pics if you can.

Here is a video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXuLJDwDGFc

Searching for "Imperial mystery knife" lead me back here.
viewtopic.php?t=39756
BarryB333

Post by BarryB333 »

Thanks for the reply. I am new to the forum and still figuring out how to post photographs. As soon as I figure it out I will post some.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I have owned a few of those. May still have one around somewhere. The ones I had were made by Imperial and sold as “trick” or magicians knives.

Information about posting pictures can be found here viewforum.php?f=98
Scroll down to find the instructions appropriate fo your device/operating system. Since you’re new here, you might want to spend some time looking through the other threads available in that AAPK Tips and Tricks forum. ::tu::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

It sounds like Albert Baer's trick knife.
Albert owned Imperial, Schrade, Ulster and Camillus. He was fond of giving the trick knife to people.
I have had several of them and I believe all were stamped Imperial.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

“In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” - George Orwell
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Post by Paladin »

The 'trick knife' was made by several companies and I'm not sure if they were licensed by Baer or not. I have a couple of them made by Schlieper here on my desk somewhere. :D

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”