W.L. Douglas Shoe Company Knife

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
raincrowe

W.L. Douglas Shoe Company Knife

Post by raincrowe »

I found a 3 1/2 inch (not including the bail)…two bladed easy opener pattern.. master blade and screwdriver/opener..
The appears to be in very good used condition handles are green and gold shield is marked... W.L. Douglas shoe company
The big blade is stamped...Brockton Mass....
Doing some research on this knife I found some very interesting information on this company and owner
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Lewis_Douglas
I would like to know if any more knives exist for this company and when it closed
I've never saw another knife by Douglas.....Hopefully someone will some information and show some other knives
when the knife was made and by what company
Oh by the way I just discovered the blade is stamped Brocton Mass....the information lists the city as....Brockton Mass...could be a typo ::hmm::
Thanks
Attachments
IMG_0713 (2).JPG
IMG_0712 (2).JPG
IMG_0710 (2).JPG
IMG_0709 (2).JPG
IMG_0708 (2).JPG
IMG_0703 (2).JPG
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: W.L. Douglas Shoe Company Knife

Post by danno50 »

That is a lovely old knife with beautiful celluloid handles. I have never seen that particular celluloid before. Sorry, no information as to maker or age.
Dan
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

1920's era made by Imperial Knife Co. Unusual to see the shoe company name as the tang stamp.
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
raincrowe

Post by raincrowe »

https://www.google.com/search?source=hp ... 1.1.0l5j0i
There is a Brocton NY.... but can't find Brocton Mass.....Could it be the knife was made in NY.
Thanks knifeaholic for the information do you know if Douglas shoe is still in business?
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

raincrowe wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:28 am https://www.google.com/search?source=hp ... 1.1.0l5j0i
There is a Brocton NY.... but can't find Brocton Mass.....Could it be the knife was made in NY.
Thanks knifeaholic for the information do you know if Douglas shoe is still in business?
Brockton, Massachusetts, south of Boston on Route 24. One of the many old shoe manufacturing towns in this area. Other than Alden, I don't think there are any shoe manufacturers left there.

As I said, the knife was not made in NY but by Imperial of Providence Rhode Island.
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
raincrowe

Post by raincrowe »

Thank you knifeaholic don't know what I was thinking sure do appreciate the information ::tu::
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Strange that they spell the name without the K in it.I have an old straight razor that has the same spelling of the city of Brockton. I wonder if possibly that was the way it was spelled at the time or they just mis-spelled the name.The stamp is Granese Wakefield Mass on one side and Brocton Special on the other.
Attachments
Razors&Such2 053.jpg
Razors&Such2 054.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
just bob

Post by just bob »

I tried to dig a bit on this and didn't come up with anything new to add, but a very similar situation is the Brown Shoe Company of St. Louis that has issued many different patterns of knives. My little reference book shows they were actually made by Camillus via Shapleigh in St. Louis. Even at that I don't think Shapleigh made all of patterns and other knife companies also made some of them. I don't collect these but aren't there many other knives from shoe companies with the companies names on the tang stamp? Here is an easy one I found on Google that was made by Imperial.

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/ ... 1808428320
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Here’s a Brown Shoe Co. St. Louis scout/utility pattern. Still has a “Buster Brown Shoes” shield and faint etch on the master blade.

Ken
76C3CB23-3262-45FF-BC0A-4E4053C42732.jpeg
Attachments
F38879DC-6441-465E-B023-6E786759FEE1.jpeg
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”