Brand new to collecting help if these are worth anything?

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
HOBOstove

Brand new to collecting help if these are worth anything?

Post by HOBOstove »

20200128_192606.jpg
Both found in a thrift store that i frequent I know the makers but cant seem to find anything on the both of these two.
Usually collect vintage butchers knives but pocket knives are starting to grow on me
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Brand new to collecting help if these are worth anything?

Post by jerryd6818 »

Welcome to AAPK. Glad to have you aboard.

Both are good users but neither one is valuable as a collector. BTW, they're both what's known as a "shell handle" knife. Which means the bolsters and handles are one piece, stamped out of sheet metal. Look at the ends. You'll see tabs bent under attaching the "shell" to the knife frame.

Something to carry and if it get's lost or stolen, dollar wise you haven't lost much, just a good carry knife.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Welcome to AAPK! Jerry gave you good info. As you can tell from the tang stamps one knife is an Imperial and the other is a Hammer Brand. You can learn more about both by using the “Search” capability which can be found in the upper left of the page under Quick links. From the search page type in the word you’re interested in and press search at the bottom of the page..

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

"Hammer Brand" was a trade mark of New York Knife Co. and they were very well made knives. After N.Y.K.Co. closed in early 1930's, Imperial knife Company acquired the name "Hammer Brand" and applied it to some of their shell handled knives which were rather low end knives. Yours is an Imperial Hammer Brand.
kj
Froe

Post by Froe »

Don't worry about worth on those two knives. While they are not particularly valuable, in a general beginner's collection I'd say they are good knives. They demonstrate a shell handle construction and represent popular styles of their respective eras. In other words they are good lessons learned. Besides, I still pick up a shell handle knife every once in awhile if I like it. There are some cool handle colors and neat gimmick blades on many shell knives. Collecting should be fun anyway.
You might consider buying one of the pocketknife collecting books that are out there to learn the basics. And the guys here on AAPK are really good guys and have schooled many of us collectors on the finer points.
My thanks to the guys here that have shared their knowledge with us.
Froe

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”