What Pattern Is This Ulster ?

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
kootenay joe

What Pattern Is This Ulster ?

Post by kootenay joe »

Here is a knife i have only seen one of, this one, 3 1/4" marked "Ulster/Knife Co/N.Y." on both blades, ebony handles, brass liners.
The closest i can see is "Swayback".
Have you seen this pattern ? Does it have name ? ("ya, "Art" ")
kj
Attachments
IMGP8397.JPG
IMGP8398.JPG
IMGP8399.JPG
knifegnome
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: What Pattern Is This Ulster ?

Post by knifegnome »

A beautiful knife ,not sure what pattern ,how about swayback reverse gunstock
ea42

Post by ea42 »

Roland, looks like someone ground the handles down to turn it into an easy open knife. Probably couldn't get a nail in that too low nail pull. Lot of wear on those blades and kicks.

Eric
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I never thought about the handle being ground down. I can open either blade using the nail nick. It actually is not hard to access long pull on master blade.
It is an interesting knife and i think attractive. Whomever did the work was a skilled cutler, smooth opening, nicely sprung.
Perhaps the maker purposely created this as a new traditional style pattern ?
I would like to see a Ulster Knife Co. swayback jack to see if that was the handle & frame used to make this knife.
And i thought i had a rare pattern that although buffed was likely very collectible. Now i know it is only collectible to those who like homemade odd knives. But, it is a good knife.
kj
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

The knife does not have a cobbled look to it. The bare end pin is centered suggesting there wasn't any material removed from the frame. Although unusual I don't doubt it is original. Very interesting knife. Sway back gun stock jack?
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Wayne, thank you for posting. If this was a pattern made by Ulster, even if only one run, other examples would exist and known to at least some collectors here. This knife seems to be one of a kind.
Would a cutler at Ulster be allowed time to 'experiment' and try making a new pattern on company time ? Basically, did USA knife manufacturers in the time before WW II fund in house 'research & development' to any degree ? Or was this knife more likely made in a home workshop ? Whomever made it was an experienced and skillful cutler.
kj
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

I think it is a factory knife and sway back jacks are uncommon. Looking more closely at the picture it is possible that some material was removed from the center of the well side handle without changing the centering of the bare end pin. Just connect a line between the middle high point and the high point of the swell end to get an idea of what might have been done.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

This picture is not the best but it does show how little was removed to make the knife look very different. Likely this was a swayback handle that the cutler modified and then got these 2 blades and 'adjusted' their tangs to make a good fit. Just havin' fun in the old Ulster factory !
kj
Attachments
IMGP8447.JPG

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”