Original Winchester or no?

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Original Winchester or no?

Post by btrwtr »

I agree Roger your observations all add up to me. At very first look the knife appears to be German. I'd don't much like the pattern stamp as well. Looks like a decent quality knife but I don't see much about it that says old Winchester to me.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I seem to recall some German made "Winchester" knives from early 1990's ? and it was an unauthorized use of this brand name. Anyone else remember this ? or am I getting my knife memories mixed up ?
kj
Dgood187

Post by Dgood187 »

All this makes me not even want it mostly because I do t agree with fakes. But also I didn’t know I was buying a fake an I paid real money for it. I guess in the end it helped members learn more at least but still upsetting to me!
98src
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 98src »

The picture is from a late 1920's original Winchester catalog that I own. I used to buy a lot of Winchester pocket knives on ebay and, as it turned out, bought a lot of FAKES. In the early days, you could not return an item unless you got an expert to say that the item was a fake. Mr. Foster wrote several letters for me. When I remembered that I had the Winchester catalog, I found the cutlery section and was able to weed out the fakes. It is the only original catalog from that era that I have seen. Perhaps I should get the knife pages reproduced ( about 40 pages including the carving sets, scissors, etc.) but I'm not sure about copy wright laws.
Beavertail

Post by Beavertail »

kootenay joe wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:21 am I seem to recall some German made "Winchester" knives from early 1990's ? and it was an unauthorized use of this brand name. Anyone else remember this ? or am I getting my knife memories mixed up ?
kj
Roland, I think You're correct about the German made Unauthorized Winchesters.
I have a large coke bottle pattern. It's a well made knife.
Attachments
20200222_090401.jpg
20200222_090342.jpg
Tim
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Bt, thanks for confirming my memory and posting a picture of your German made 'Winchester'.
kj
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Dgood187 wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:47 pm All this makes me not even want it mostly because I do t agree with fakes. But also I didn’t know I was buying a fake an I paid real money for it. I guess in the end it helped members learn more at least but still upsetting to me!
So this knife is yours, not one you are thinking of buying ?
Don't despair completely as one of the posters above thinks it is the same as shown in a Winchester catalog. Would be helpful to see a picture of the catalog page showing this pattern so as to compare all of the 'details'.
kj
Beavertail

Post by Beavertail »

kootenay joe wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:38 pm Bt, thanks for confirming my memory and posting a picture of your German made 'Winchester'.
kj
You're very welcome! ::handshake::
I found this knife about twenty years ago in the bottom of a tackle box I bought at a flea market.
It was completely rusted shut.
I soaked it in oil for about a week and got it to open and close.
It cleaned up pretty well. Tim.
Tim
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

It looks very good now. Blade even looks full with original pointy tip intact.
kj

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”