Best Case Stag handle to buy in the newer production ?

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
milo

Best Case Stag handle to buy in the newer production ?

Post by milo »

What is the most likely that would appreciate in value in the newer production ?
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Best Case Stag handle to buy in the newer production ?

Post by edge213 »

Probably GEC and Northwoods.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Since your headline specifies Case, I assume you’re not looking for opinions on other brands. Either way I don’t think anyone really knows the answer to your question.

My philosophy, and advice, is to collect what you like and do not speculate on value increasing. If the value doesn’t appreciate at worst you have something you enjoy. There are far better investments than speculating in knives. Like everything else the values change with the economy, popularity trends of different brands and different patterns. Who knows what those will be in ten, twenty or more years. I sure don’t, and I’d be very skeptical of any claims to the contrary. JMO

Welcome to AAPK by the way. ::tu::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:06 pm Since your headline specifies Case, I assume you’re not looking for opinions on other brands. Either way I don’t think anyone really knows the answer to your question. At worst case you have something you enjoy.

My philosophy, and advice, is to collect what you like and do not speculate on value increasing. There are far better investments than speculating in knives. Like everything else the values change with the economy, popularity trends of different brands and different patterns. Who knows what those will be in ten, twenty or more years. I sure don’t, and I’d be very skeptical of any claims to the contrary. JMO

Welcome to AAPK by the way. ::tu::

Ken
My bad. Guess I overlooked the "Case" part of the question ::facepalm::
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
RevolverGuy

Post by RevolverGuy »

Stag has always been considered a premium and will bring in a better appreciation of value over bone and many other materials. I think regardless of newer or older patterns what is more important for me is the quality of the stag—something that seems to be lacking these days. I'll pay more for a stag Case with matching scales, nice thickness, and bark. So I would say any of the newer ones meeting those criteria.
just bob

Post by just bob »

milo wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:29 pm What is the most likely that would appreciate in value in the newer production ?
If you go to SMKW and search for Case knives with stag handles I think you will see 25 entries come up. You are severely limited as to what pattern you can purchase. The same is true for Sheppard Hills. The really desirable Case stag knives like the 5254,5265, and 5488 are apparently no longer standard issues. They may come out occasionally in limited production knives, but aren't included in the current listings. Go to SMKW and use the search to look at the offerings. Many of the newer Tony Bose knives with stag handles are hot items. A lot of the newer knives are available in bone / stag handles with the 6.5 code. I'll post some pics from a 1995 catalog in later and you can see how you would have done had you bought knives back then. The 5254 trapper would have yielded you more than 100% profit. Some of the others - not so much.
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Red stag seems to be desired, just my 2¢.

And ::welcome:: to AAPK!
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
hardman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by hardman »

In 2020, as in 2019, Case is only offering genuine Stag on relatively small patterns. They say this is due to a shortage of quality Sambar Stag. Other manufacturers do not seems to be as impacted, but that could be due to Case's relative size. That said, there are lots of Case knives available in the aftermarket that feature great Stag. The ones that seem to command the biggest premiums are the larger traditional patterns like the Clasp (5172), the Folding Hunter (5265), the Large Cigar Whittler (5391), and to some extent the Large Coke Bottle (51050 and 51050L), the Large Trapper (5254), and the Large Stockman (5375).
Gary

"Now it cuts like a knife, but it feels so right." Bryan Adams
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

1967redrider wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:36 am Red stag seems to be desired, just my 2¢.

Ditto here. Red stag does seem to do very well over time.
I think the real key is to be able to look over the stag and look for well matched handles. Case doesn’t match front and back very well. But when you find one that is, it’s worth a premium.
Welcome to the forum!
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
milo

Post by milo »

1967redrider wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:36 am Red stag seems to be desired, just my 2¢.

Thanks!!!
just bob

Post by just bob »

milo wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:29 pm What is the most likely that would appreciate in value in the newer production ?

I interpreted this to mean newer knives that you could order now. I see others have interpreted this to mean newer than 1970. I guess the $64K question is what do you mean? Here are some ads from a 1995 magazine with Case stag knives. I think according to their own literature that the Case trapper and peanut are the 2 most collected patterns. Had you stockpiled either the 5254 or 5220 in 1995 you would have received a handsome return on your investment. On some of the smaller patterns you wouldn't have done so well. There is no standard issue 5265 in the catalog, but I have found this one special folding hunter. I wish I had bought a hundred of these. Who knows what the future holds for collecting and investments? Tactical knives are becoming more popular than pocket knives to younger people.
Attachments
new trap 2.jpg
new trap.jpg
stag trap.jpg
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I took it to mean current production also, which is why I answered as I did. 20-20 hindsight is easy. As Yogi Berra famously said,
“It's tough to make predictions, especially about the future”. ::doh::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Modern Slip Joints

Post by Modern Slip Joints »

I interpreted the question as asking what kind of stag will appreciate more, not what handle pattern. Unfortunately, I do not like the answer, red stag. Despite dyed stag being less expensive red stag is routinely is bid higher than Case's more expensive types of stag. The only explanation I've thought of is bidders mistakenly believe the stag Case dyes red is European Red Stag antler.

Case's best and most expensive stag is vintage stag, V5 in pattern numbers. Case writes it is more carefully selected and fitted India stag. The intent is to get good bark without torching or dying the stag. Logically vintage stag should be the answer but it is hard to argue that when you can buy stag dyed red for less then sell for more right away.

Case's next best stag is Prime Stag which is torched India stag. After that comes stag that is not identified as any thing special followed by stag dyed black or red.

To me modern or newer production means 1980 and newer. There is only a small collector premium for 1980s knives if any. If a person does not limit themselves to current product then there are lots of Case stag knives to buy. As written above matching bark and shape side to side is a plus. There isn't much agreement on amount of bark or thickness.

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”