Knife Identification

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
mek3708

Knife Identification

Post by mek3708 »

I have a pocket knife with a unique blade that I would like to identify. It was made by the Holley Mfg. Co., Lakeville, Ct. Instead of a blade there is something that folds out that is the length of a blade but has an oval shape and is not sharpened. I am told that it was owned by my Grandfather that would make it about 100 years old. I have many pictures to send on request. Thanks, mek33708@gmail.com
richard

Re: Knife Identification

Post by richard »

sounds like a doctors knife , or a artists knife with a spatula blade . a picture would be good
richard

Post by richard »

mek3708 wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:05 pm I have a pocket knife with a unique blade that I would like to identify. It was made by the Holley Mfg. Co., Lakeville, Ct. Instead of a blade there is something that folds out that is the length of a blade but has an oval shape and is not sharpened. I am told that it was owned by my Grandfather that would make it about 100 years old. I have many pictures to send on request. Thanks, mek33708@gmail.com
hi and welcome to AAPK. you can post pictures here.
click attachments. add files,drag and drop picture .
when it loads . solid green bar.
click submit.
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

mek3708 wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:05 pm I have a pocket knife with a unique blade that I would like to identify. It was made by the Holley Mfg. Co., Lakeville, Ct. Instead of a blade there is something that folds out that is the length of a blade but has an oval shape and is not sharpened. I am told that it was owned by my Grandfather that would make it about 100 years old. I have many pictures to send on request. Thanks, mek33708@gmail.com
Hey MEK...welcome to AAPK. Pull up a seat and stay awhile.

As Richard recommended...it would be great if you would post a few photos of your knife in question. A couple of close ups and a couple of full shots, closed and blades out. If it has tang stamps, post a pic of them too. You'll get a lot more informative responses with photos. Everyone here likes photos.

Hope to see you again soon...
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."
richard

Post by richard »

The Holley Manufacturing Company of Lakeville (Salisbury), Connecticut, produced pocket cutlery and related products, from 1844 until 1946. Founded in 1844 by Alexander Hamilton Holley and George Merwin as Holley and Merwin, the Company claimed to be the oldest manufacturer of pocket cutlery in the United States. The company name was later changed to Holley & Company. In 1854, it was incorporated as the Holley Manufacturing Company, with Alexander H. Holley as president, George B. Burrall, treasurer, and William B. Rudd, secretary. William Rudd's son, Malcolm D. Rudd, succeeded him as treasurer and general manager, serving in that position until 1942. Its customers were retailers and small jobbers, mostly in New England, Pennsylvania, and upper New York State. Total annual sales of the company probably did not exceed $50,000 from 1844 to 1925, or $10,000 from 1925 to 1933. Holley Manufacturing Company's sales and production declined after 1933 and the firm was dissolved in 1946.
mek3708

Post by mek3708 »

fullsizeoutput_7a4.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_79f.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_7a2.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_79e.jpeg
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

To me, that is quite unique and different, MEK. I've never seen anything like it. That spatula looks as though it could have spread a lot of butter in its time. ::shrug:: Be patient...someone besides Richard will be along to provide more insight on this particular piece.
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Welcome to AAPK.

Looks like an artist's palette knife. Made for mixing paints by artists, on their palette boards. viewtopic.php?f=35&t=51646

Another possible option is a spatula for use by physicians or pharmacists, for sorting pills and powdered medicines.

As I understand, the main difference is the thickness of the blade.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I agree with Ken and lean towards it being a spatula for pharmacists, used to count pills and mix up their own 'salves' (pastes with medicinal ingredients for topical application).
kj
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Russell made a couple of models of those as well. I think they are pretty cool. I showed mine to my pharmacist and they found it interesting as well. Congrats. ::nod:: ::nod::
Ivory Russell spatula knife
Ivory Russell spatula knife
Wood handle Russell spatula knife
Wood handle Russell spatula knife
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

The spatula knife that is used by artists for mixing/applying oil paints is tapered toward the tip whereas the pharmacist spatula has a rounded end.
kj
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Thanks Roland. ::handshake::
mek3708

Post by mek3708 »

Thanks to everyone who gave me info. Now how do I find out when it was manufactured? Are there collectors who specialize in Holley Knives?
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Goins’ Encyclopedia of Cutlery Markings says that Holley Mfg. Co. Lakeville stamp was used from 1854-1930’s. I don’t know any way to narrow it down any more than that.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”