Can't identify this maker

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
beresman
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Can't identify this maker

Post by beresman »

I'm pretty new to this world (I started when I had a knife--which I had inherited from my dad--confiscated by TSA because I was too absent-minded to put it in my checked bag. I went to replace it and found...well, quite the world of pocket knives).

Anyway, another knife which my dad did not carry turned up in his belongings, and I never looked into it until now. The tang of the larger blade reads "Solingen Germany" on one side and...something on the other. My initial thought was "ABBOT CO", but my fiance thought it was "LUSOT CO", and I agree it does look like that. However, I can't find anything about either of those names being attributed to a knife maker in Germany. The smaller blade is only stamped "MADE IN GERMANY".

I looked at the thread on tang stamp charts, but if it's there I totally missed it (and I acknowledge that's entirely possible!).

Any ideas? Thank you in advance!

Brent
Attachments
IMG_8267.jpeg
IMG_8263.jpeg
IMG_8264.jpeg
IMG_8268.jpeg
Brent
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Can't identify this maker

Post by treefarmer »

Welcome to AAPK!
Check this out: viewtopic.php?t=39746
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
beresman
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by beresman »

Fabulous! Thank you!
Brent
just bob

Post by just bob »

I had a knife with the same name plate on the side that had red lettering on the blade. It was a salesman's sample. I don't remember the maker on my knife I had

I think this is the same knife you have? He says it is Lubotco.

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/ ... 2073475096

In this thread it is called Lubot Co.

viewtopic.php?t=39746

I don't know which is correct but the one link cites Goins and that is a very credible source.
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Made in Germany, probably before WW II.
In second picture is the piece of metal showing below the knife, part of the knife ? or nothing to do with this knife ?
kj
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

kootenay joe wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:43 am Made in Germany, probably before WW II.
In second picture is the piece of metal showing below the knife, part of the knife ? or nothing to do with this knife ?
kj
KJ, that looks like one of those small 'manicure' type key chain pocket knives with a blade and file. ::shrug:: That's the familiarity I have with the looks of it. I used to carry one.
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”