Were any old clip blade jacks made with EO feature?

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
Duffer

Were any old clip blade jacks made with EO feature?

Post by Duffer »

Just wondering if any of the old big prominent knife makers ever made a clip blade jack with an EO notch? Most I have seen have spear blades. I wonder if the very few I have seen were added post production by someone? Thanks for your input!
Lloyd
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Were any old clip blade jacks made with EO feature?

Post by treefarmer »

I traded for a sack full of them a while back and they all have spear main blades. Didn't these all start as a military knife way back when? Kinda' like the many makers of the same military rifles and pistols during WWII. ::shrug::
I know one thing, these are handy little knives and some have the most beautiful bone on them.
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

There's the EO version (#49EO) of Queen's Big Chief (which has a clip-point blade), in which the EO notch is about halfway up the handle (as opposed to the tip), but that's about it. While the Big Chief is an 80-year-old pattern, I think the #49EO that I have came out in the early 1990s, while I think there was an earlier version with the EO notch and no bail made before.

With the way most EO knives are set up (notch close to tip of blade and butt of handle), clip-point blades are a pretty poor choice due to the fact there's not enough metal to grip. I have a Camillus USN utility someone made the spear into a clip, and sometimes, it's hard to open the way it is intended. It's why most blades in these knives are spear or sheepsfoot profile.
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Just sittin' here looking at one of the EO Imperials, a good one, perfect bone with bail/shackle in place and realized a clip blade could not be easily opened as the top of the blade would be sitting very low in the EO cut out. ::hmm::
Visualize this knife with a clip blade and see that it would probably be very usless as an easy open:
Would a clip blade in this frame work as an easy open?
Would a clip blade in this frame work as an easy open?
Treefarmer

Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

treefarmer wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:25 am Just sittin' here looking at one of the EO Imperials, a good one, perfect bone with bail/shackle in place and realized a clip blade could not be easily opened as the top of the blade would be sitting very low in the EO cut out. ::hmm::
Visualize this knife with a clip blade and see that it would probably be very usless as an easy open: 010.JPG
Treefarmer
The OP is a good question, and I don’t recall having seen one before. As TF said, by definition the “clipped” part of a clip blade would typically be the part that would be situated at the EO gap, resulting in there being little or none of the blade accessible to “pinch” between the fingers for opening it. And thus defeating the purpose of having the EO cut out gap. A spear blade has plenty of purchase for fingers to access. JMO

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Here are a couple of easy open knives with clip blades:a Queen #11 and a York Cutlery Germany. The York has the deepest easy open notch I've ever seen.I wonder if it affects the strength of the handle?

EDIT: Almost forgot this one;not factory but modified by me as this knife is almost impossible to open with the nail nick.
Attachments
Queen#11EOAknife$16 001.jpg
YorkCutleryEZOpener.JPG
Case6143 2dot 002.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
Duffer

Post by Duffer »

Thanks guys for your observations and input!
Lloyd
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Nice posts, Ray. The clip EOs have the cutout mid knife. ::tu::

Having it at the tip with a clip blade would be self defeating.
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
msteele6

Post by msteele6 »

Stewart and Ritchie show a Remington Easy Opener with a clip blade, pattern numbers R892, 893, and 895 (Slick black, bone, and Pyremite handles). Very few cutleries had pattens that were absolutely unique to them so I would expect that other cutlers made an Easy Opener with a clip blade, although I don't remember seeing one in particular.
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

I have seen more than one Robeson five inch Coke Bottle folding hunter with an EO notch. No idea if they were made that way. An EO notch could be easily created on a router or cylindrical sander.

Somebody made a five inch Daddy Barlow with an EO notch.
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Just saw one on the Old Knives forum on Facebook.The owner will likely post it over here;I told him about the thread.
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

knife7knut wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:50 am Just saw one on the Old Knives forum on Facebook.The owner will likely post it over here;I told him about the thread.
Here is the knife in question made by New York Knife Co.It has no factory nail nick but it appears someone tried to cut one into it.
Attachments
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
Ben Ogle

Post by Ben Ogle »

I have a few Olsen Knife Co, with the EO on a clip blade. Maybe this is what you’re looking for??
Attachments
7440B9B5-1D35-46F6-A3FF-0610170A2E1F.jpeg
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Ben Ogle wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:44 pm I have a few Olsen Knife Co, with the EO on a clip blade. Maybe this is what you’re looking for??
Do you know if Olsen actually made the EO knives you have or were they contract knives?
I only have one Olsen knife and it is a fixed blade.
Treefarmer

Ben Ogle

Post by Ben Ogle »

treefarmer wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:25 pm
Ben Ogle wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:44 pm I have a few Olsen Knife Co, with the EO on a clip blade. Maybe this is what you’re looking for??
Do you know if Olsen actually made the EO knives you have or were they contract knives?
I only have one Olsen knife and it is a fixed blade.
Treefarmer
I am actually not sure, that’s something I have tried to figure out. I posted in these knives on this forum, and didn’t really get any answers. My searches for Olsen knives always ended up with fixed blade knives.
Ben Ogle

Post by Ben Ogle »

Here are some close ups of the stamps
Attachments
55F0697D-F0F8-45E5-937C-89ED64C7EC8C.jpeg
FEC15774-0700-47E3-8CD5-945783FD8E84.jpeg
ea42

Post by ea42 »

The old Schrade Cut. Co Fisherman's Pride was an EO:
Schrade Fisherman's Pride 2.jpg

Very interesting NYK knife7nut, I've never seen one before. ::tu::

Eric
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Those appear to be identical to the York Cutlery Co. knife I posted;I wonder if they were made by the same company? ::shrug::
Ben Ogle

Post by Ben Ogle »

knife7knut wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:20 pm
Those appear to be identical to the York Cutlery Co. knife I posted;I wonder if they were made by the same company? ::shrug::
Seeing the one you posted is what made me think of mine. They are about identical! I have found hardly any info on the Olsen knife co, other than fixed blades. So I am not very sure about them.
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Ben Ogle wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:54 pm
knife7knut wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:20 pm
Seeing the one you posted is what made me think of mine. They are about identical! I have found hardly any info on the Olsen knife co, other than fixed blades. So I am not very sure about them.
Best info I have found about them is they manufactured some knives in their Howard City Michigan factory but also imported fixed blades from Germany and folders from Japan.I have a few of each and might do a post on them.

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”