Case pocket knife collection 56 knives

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
reidtroy57

Case pocket knife collection 56 knives

Post by reidtroy57 »

Hi I have decided to break out my dads pocket knife collection and see what I have can someone lead me in the right direction for an honest appraisal tks
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Case pocket knife collection 56 knives

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Welcome to AAPK. Most people who appraise knives or other items charge for the service. Are you requesting referrals for that, perhaps for insurance purposes? If so there are several possibilities, some of them are members here. Appraising a collection of 56 knives will involve time and work.

It is also possible to do it yourself, especially if they are newer knives (made within the past 40-50 years). You can appraise many older knives also but it will take more work. Here’s some advice I gave another poster here with a similar question.

Your best source of current values is an advanced search of sold listings on eBay. Determine each knife’s pattern, year of manufacture, and description. Just select “sold listings” from the eBay advanced search menu, put the description into the search field and submit. Example “Case 6383 whittler 1982” or similar.

In valuing collectable knives condition is paramount, so check the responses from your eBay search against the condition of your knives to be sure you’re comparing apples-to-apples. If some of the search results are used knives and your knife is mint, you’ll need to throw out those used knives from your search results. You can try inserting “mint” into your search string but that may be too restrictive. Just play with it and find what works best for you.

If you need help to determine pattern number, age, and description click on “Research” in the header at the top of this page.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

If you take pictures with blades open in groups of about 4 knives per picture, people here could soon tell you if this is a very valuable collection or not of very high value. Once knowing this it might help you decide how to proceed.
kj
Knife Nut
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Knife Nut »

I think Ken covered all the bases very well.
Can't stress enough the condition of the knives.
Not knowing what knives you have, but any vintage knives are highly collectable if in near mint to mint condition.
Would like to see any photos if possible.

Paul
Eustace

Post by Eustace »

reidtroy57 wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:16 am Hi I have decided to break out my dads pocket knife collection and see what I have can someone lead me in the right direction for an honest appraisal tks

$ 20 maximum. Okay, I'll give you 25, but only because I like you.
Does it matter how much your father's knives cost. These are YOUR FATHER'S knives!
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Eustace wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:09 pmThese are YOUR FATHER'S knives!
So they were his father's knives. And...your point?

I learned something when my Dad passed - I can't keep everything he owned just because he's my dad and he owned it.
1) I don't have the room to keep it all
B) I don't have the desire to keep it all

There are just some things that he had and collected that I have no interest in. He didn't collect knives, but he did golf and collect coins. I have no interest in either. For the coins, I'm going to help Mom find someone to appraise the collection and liquidate it.
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
rugmar

Post by rugmar »

Steve Warden wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:22 pm

I learned something when my Dad passed - I can't keep everything he owned just because he's my dad and he owned it.

There are just some things that he had and collected that I have no interest in. He didn't collect knives, but he did golf and collect coins. I have no interest in either. For the coins, I'm going to help Mom find someone to appraise the collection and liquidate it.

Now see Steve. That's what makes you so likeable. You always make so much sense. Seriously, GREAT Point.

Rug
Eustace

Post by Eustace »

Steve Warden wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:22 pm

Maybe you're right, Steve, and I react too emotionally. My father died a year and a half ago, and I can't imagine selling his hunting knife or his old fishing rods.
Anyway, let everyone judge for themselves. Such topics are also useful for people in the forum. There are people here who trade with knives and probably someone has contacted this person on PM
rugmar

Post by rugmar »

Just another thought, people are forever getting appraisals on things they own. That doesn’t automatically translate to them wanting to part with the item.
Rug

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”