Is this an authentic tested case knife?

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
Pawn1

Is this an authentic tested case knife?

Post by Pawn1 »

3E3B1330-4CA3-4352-BDE5-F1594BF6EED4.jpeg
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Is this an authentic tested case knife?

Post by doglegg »

I'm not the one who would know, but it is a great looking knife. ::nod::
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

It looks like a 113 pattern, but I’ve never seen one from the Tested era with stag handle covers. Maybe someone else has. ::shrug:: I’m suspicious it may have been re-handled in stag. What is the closed length, and could you post pictures of it from the top looking down into the blade wells and a picture of the other side. I’d like to see the rest of the stag and the width.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

That stag looks like 70's honey stag. Could it be a Case Classic? ::shrug::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

1967redrider wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:52 am That stag looks like 70's honey stag. Could it be a Case Classic? ::shrug::
No. Case Classics all have dates stamped on them. The stag on this knife is suspicious to me because there appears to be significant hafting near the bolsters, indicating it’s probably thick in the center. Which is why I requested a picture showing the width of the stag. Tested stag is typically relatively flat/uniform thickness along the length, so little hafting was necessary to make it match up with the thickness of the bolsters. Thick (fat) stag didn’t become common until later.

In the Tested era the 113 “thin coke bottle” was made with greenbone, yellow celluloid and Christmas Tree celluloid. I suspect the OP knife originally had celluloid covers which self-destructed and someone put stag on it. JMO

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:50 am
1967redrider wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:52 am That stag looks like 70's honey stag. Could it be a Case Classic? ::shrug::
No. Case Classics all have dates stamped on them. The stag on this knife is suspicious to me because there appears to be significant hafting near the bolsters, indicating it’s probably thick in the center. Which is why I requested a picture showing the width of the stag. Tested stag is typically relatively flat/uniform thickness along the length, so little hafting was necessary to make it match up with the thickness of the bolsters. Thick (fat) stag didn’t become common until later.

In the Tested era the 113 “thin coke bottle” was made with greenbone, yellow celluloid and Christmas Tree celluloid. I suspect the OP knife originally had celluloid covers which self-destructed and someone put stag on it. JMO

Ken

Sounds good to me, Ken. ::tu::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:56 am It looks like a 113 pattern, but I’ve never seen one from the Tested era with stag handle covers. Maybe someone else has. ::shrug:: I’m suspicious it nay have been re-handled in stag. What is the closed length, and could you post pictures of it from the top looking down into the blade wells and a picture of the other side. I’d like to see the rest of the stag and the width.

Ken
Here is a Case Tested XX 61213 for comparison. This pattern number has always been confusing to me. There is a fishtail switchblade that is a 61213 1/2. There is also a 2 blade slender coke bottle and in green bone it would be 62213. As far as I know, this slender coke bottle was made only in green bone and yellow composition handles (i.e., 61213 and 31213, respectively). So it would seem the knife in question has been rehandled. The blade on the knife in question looks good to me.
Attachments
Case Tested XX 61213 small.jpg
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

The basic knife may be correct, but the handles are modern replacements. The 113 pattern was never made in stag, nor was it made as one of the Case Classics.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

RalphAlsip wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:14 pm
Mumbleypeg wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:56 am It looks like a 113 pattern, but I’ve never seen one from the Tested era with stag handle covers. Maybe someone else has. ::shrug:: I’m suspicious it may have been re-handled in stag. What is the closed length, and could you post pictures of it from the top looking down into the blade wells and a picture of the other side. I’d like to see the rest of the stag and the width.

Ken
Here is a Case Tested XX 61213 for comparison. This pattern number has always been confusing to me. There is a fishtail switchblade that is a 61213 1/2. There is also a 2 blade slender coke bottle and in green bone it would be 62213. As far as I know, this slender coke bottle was made only in green bone and yellow composition handles (i.e., 61213 and 31213, respectively). So it would seem the knife in question has been rehandled. The blade on the knife in question looks good to me.
I agree Jerry, it’s confusing. I’ve looked in the few old Case catalog reprints I have, and don’t find that slim coke bottle pattern. Sargent’s shows a couple of pictures identified as a 61213. Parker’s Pocket Knife Trader’s Guide lists a 31113, a 61113 and an RM1113, described as a 5-3/8 inch Slender Coke/Spear (no pictures) and a 61213-1/2, described as a 4 inch Switchblade. There is no 61213. It also lists a 32213, and 62213, both described as 5-3/8 inch Slender Coke/Spear patterns.

Since there were very few Tested knives stamped with pattern numbers, and having no catalog pictures it hard to say what’s correct. At some time in the 1990s Case did produce a stag version, limited edition which they called a 51113, so that’s why I decided the 113 was the right pattern. ::shrug::

Here’s the catalog picture of the 61213-1/2 fishtail switchblade. Below it is a picture I snagged off the CCC Forum of the 1994 issued 51113. Belongs to a member there who is a member here also. It’s the only legitimate stag version of the pattern I’m aware of.

Ken
09A579AB-386B-4545-AA8A-49F2CC9C25F0.jpeg
Attachments
79B4021D-5006-456C-927A-8247A02F21D0.jpeg
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

To me the stag on the OP knife resembles the stag on the 1994 51113 posted by Ken. It does not look like 'old' stag, i.e. stag used 70 or more years ago.
kj

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”