How to ID tag knives in collection

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
AAheritagefarms

How to ID tag knives in collection

Post by AAheritagefarms »

I am going thru my collection and cataloging but what is a good way to tag or identify pocketknives. I have been using hang tags on fixed blades but they don't work to good on pocketknives. Thank You for any ideas
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: How to ID tag knives in collection

Post by Railsplitter »

My method isn't for everybody but it works great if you keep your knives arranged the same way most of the time. I use a slotted display case but any arrangement will work.

I made a "map" of each of my display cases on an Excel spreadsheet. 24 slots in the display case. 24 slots on the spreadsheet. Each slot on the spreadsheet has 5 lines for any information I want to type in there. Then I print the spreadsheet and keep it with that display case.

Sorry for the poor photos.
Case 2.JPG
IMG_5847.JPG
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

Railsplitter wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:08 pmSorry for the poor photos.
The display case photo looks just fine, and I gotta ask: what is the one with tiger stripes?

Returning to topic, I assume anything with adhesive is out of the question. Hang tags could work for pocket-knives with bails or split rings, but for those that don't, we're back to square one. How do you store your knives? That may help me think of a suggestion for how to catalog them.
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

Dan In MI wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:12 am
Railsplitter wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:08 pmSorry for the poor photos.
The display case photo looks just fine, and I gotta ask: what is the one with tiger stripes?

Returning to topic, I assume anything with adhesive is out of the question. Hang tags could work for pocket-knives with bails or split rings, but for those that don't, we're back to square one. How do you store your knives? That may help me think of a suggestion for how to catalog them.
Howdy Dan. It's a Case Bengal Canoe.
Rick T.

AAheritagefarms

Post by AAheritagefarms »

I have most of pocketknives in knife rolls . I like the slotted display case where do you get them but I would need quite a few.
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

AAheritagefarms wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:27 am I have most of pocketknives in knife rolls . I like the slotted display case where do you get them but I would need quite a few.
I was inside Shepherd Hills Cutlery one day about 12 years ago. They had about 50 or 60 of them stacked up against a wall at that time. I picked up 3 and ordered another one online a few months later.

I haven't seen them on their website in several years, I'm sorry to say.
Rick T.

Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

Railsplitter wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:24 amIt's a Case Bengal Canoe.
Thanks. It's a very unusual and cool one!

Returning to topic, the rolls could work well. Buy a bunch of 'em, number each one, and put your knives inside. Then document, on paper and/or digitally, what knives are in each roll. As long as the knives never swap spaces, that could work very well.
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

My knives are in Sackups rolls. For each roll I create a list on an 8-1/2 x 11 sheet of paper, with a description of each knife in succession in the Sackups roll pockets, left to right. Depending on how detailed your notes are, as many sheets of paper as necessary can be used for each roll. As each roll is rolled up and tied, the list is then folded and a general description name like “Case stags”, “Misc. whittlers”, etc is written on the outside of the folded paper list. The list is then slipped under the tie strings on the roll.

I can easily look at the general name written on the folded list, or pull the folded list out from under the tie without untying the roll. If that’s the roll I’m looking for the paper can be unfolded to verify the knife or knives I want are in that roll. If not, the paper can be re-folded and slipped back under the tie, again without untying and opening the roll.

Nothing elaborate, the lists are all handwritten. If your handwriting isn’t clear you might want to create it on your computer and print it. Works for me anyway.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

If you use a 'sticker' (think 'price sticker') it will discolor steel of blades and the handle, i.e. underneath wherever you stick it. So not a good idea.
You can buy small white tags with a loop of string attached. Open up a blade, slip string over and move it down to tang area (base of blade, not sharp) and then close the blade. Tags come in various sizes and have enough space to write ID information and value, etc.
I have been intending to do this for a couple of decades. With 'too many' knives it is a daunting task. Should have been done from the beginning.
kj
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

I use thetranslucent plastic boxes from harbor freight with removable moveable partitions for parts, fishing lures, etc. Each compartment will hold from one to 5 pocket knives, depending on size. A slip of paper in each compartment notes each knife in that compartment. Each box also has a manila envelope containing one sheet of paper for each knife. That sheet of paper has a description and receipt information. On the computer, all of this is duplicated, along with images of each knife, in appropriate folders. And yet another Word.doc for the chronological order of purchase. I can access info for each knife from several directions. From the knife in the box, from the envelope with individual pages, from a folder of like items (brand, type, etc.) and from the chronology. It takes me at least a half hour to document and store a knife, but after that I can always find what I need. (haha; I still manage to do a head scratcher sometimes). For fixed blades I do much the same but instead of little boxes I use bins and hang tags. Don't ask me about the original boxes stuff comes in. Gaaah!
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Railsplitter wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:08 pm My method isn't for everybody but it works great if you keep your knives arranged the same way most of the time. I use a slotted display case but any arrangement will work.

I made a "map" of each of my display cases on an Excel spreadsheet. 24 slots in the display case. 24 slots on the spreadsheet. Each slot on the spreadsheet has 5 lines for any information I want to type in there. Then I print the spreadsheet and keep it with that display case.

Sorry for the poor photos.

Case 2.JPG
IMG_5847.JPG
Nice practical display Rick. ::tu:: Would you please tell me what is the knife in the top-left corner, and, the one 2 below that one with the sunburst on the front bolster, a J.J. Martinez perhaps? Thanks, Mark! 8)
8)
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

Madmarco wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:10 pm Nice practical display Rick. ::tu:: Would you please tell me what is the knife in the top-left corner, and, the one 2 below that one with the sunburst on the front bolster, a J.J. Martinez perhaps? Thanks, Mark! 8)
Thanks Mark and no problem on the identifications.

Top left knife is a Benchmade 485 Valet and the other one is a made-to-order Mini Vendetta by Jose Herreros in Spain.
Attachments
IMG_5509.JPG
IMG_4615.JPG
Rick T.

Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Railsplitter wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:11 pm
Madmarco wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:10 pm Nice practical display Rick. ::tu:: Would you please tell me what is the knife in the top-left corner, and, the one 2 below that one with the sunburst on the front bolster, a J.J. Martinez perhaps? Thanks, Mark! 8)
Thanks Mark and no problem on the identifications.

Top left knife is a Benchmade 485 Valet and the other one is a made-to-order Mini Vendetta by Jose Herreros in Spain.
Thank you Rick for takin' the time to show us those. ::handshake:: I had a gut feeling that was the B/M Valet, but just wanted to be sure. Right after I asked the question I remembered I had seen the Herreros knives before, in both the smaller and larger sizes, I believe it was on etsy, but I couldn't be sure that was the knife you have from the original picture. As I recall, they were up there in price and beyond my reach, so I settled for this J.J. Martinez fulcrum-release stiletto which was much more in my price range. I'm sure you can see why I thought yours might have been a Martinez build. Still a very nice knife, but definitely not a Herreros. Thx again, and you have some very cool knives there! 8)
WIN_20210411_20_15_45_Pro.jpg
WIN_20210411_20_16_08_Pro.jpg
8)
GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

kootenay joe wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:30 am If you use a 'sticker' (think 'price sticker') it will discolor steel of blades and the handle, i.e. underneath wherever you stick it. So not a good idea.
I did this, I put stickers on some of my knives and ::facepalm:: .... ::dang:: it was a disaster ::td:: ! :x It discolored the handles and was very difficult to remove :( So not a good idea. ::facepalm::
Please visit my AAPK store: https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ca ... er_id=2383

They say, “Hard work never hurt anyone”, but I'm still not willing to risk it.
GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

I now keep many of my knives in various Protective Hard Shell Glasses Case for Eyeglasses and Sunglasses. I can find one for about $1.00 at a thrift store and the eyeglass cases fit nicely into shoe boxes. I can put desiccant in the eyeglass cases and the shoe boxes. Now I realize I can put a tag/sticker on the outside of the case ::dang:: I had never thought of that before ::facepalm:: . The downside of putting the knives in the eyeglass cases, is losing track of the factory boxes.... ::dang:: .... ::teary_eyes:: and not being to see the knives as you can in a glass case :x .
Please visit my AAPK store: https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ca ... er_id=2383

They say, “Hard work never hurt anyone”, but I'm still not willing to risk it.

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”