Should I re-think my storage methods?

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
Dan In MI

Should I re-think my storage methods?

Post by Dan In MI »

As of this post, my knives that have their boxes are stored in them. The Cases are wrapped in their tissue paper, inside their boxes. Those that did not come in boxes, or that I acquired used, are wrapped in pieces of an old T-shirt. The present method is only until I can find a display case that meets my requirements (lockable, sturdy, and resistant to both light rays and cats). Might it behoove me to get them out of their boxes and/or replace the pieces of T-shirt with Sack-Ups?
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
Steve Warden

Re: Should I re-think my storage methods?

Post by Steve Warden »

Personally don't see why you would need to. All should be fine until you get the display case you want.
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

You might add some of those little packets , not sure what they're called, that keep moisture away... get mine from beef jerky packages
and vitamin bottles....
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

TripleF wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:26 am You might add some of those little packets , not sure what they're called, that keep moisture away... get mine from beef jerky packages
and vitamin bottles....
Desiccant.

Great tip 👍
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Makes them awfully difficult to coon finger and chicken eye but other than that I don't see that method causing any harm to the hardware. JMHO
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
clockman

Post by clockman »

HI jerry, i like your choice of words! Sounds like you are from the hills of southern indiana, like me! have a good day everyone, Randy
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Use some of these that was referred to.
Attachments
Screenshot 2021-04-13 084619.png
David R (United States Navy Retired)
Don't just count your many blessings, be the blessing others count on!
Visit my website: Woodburning Art by David https://www.wdbydavid.com/
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

IMHO if you’re going to store them in a display case you don’t need to purchase anything. But you do need to be sure the knives are clean and free of any handling fingerprints, moisture from your hands or other sources, and lint, dust, etc. Even if you just took the knife out of the box, opened and closed it and put it back like it was in the box, you’ve exposed it to fingerprints and moisture.

I recommend using something like Tuf-glide, Renwax, or similar to coat the blades and handle covers regardless how/where you store them. There are several good rust preventatives - we all have favorites. I prefer Tuf-glide because it leaves an invisible dry protective coating which will not capture and hold lint and dust. Same with Renwax. And both work!

Don’t be one who spends $20 to $500 for a knife but won’t spend even a dollar to protect it! IMHO you can’t beat Sackups for long term storage but regardless what you use if the knives have fingerprints etc on them, they will tarnish and rust. Put them up clean, keep them clean and dry (that’s where desiccant helps) and away from sunlight. Isolate celluloids away from other knives, and check them all regularly (yep, I’m paranoid) ::paranoid:: . :lol:

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

In my original post, I neglected to mention that I throw a dessicant pack in each knife storage container, and have done so for a few years. Picking up some new ones wouldn't hurt.

I don't recall ever having a knife rust on me...but then again, the great great bulk of them have been stainless. Nor do I have any desire to be "that guy" mentioned by Ken. If you watch my Case unboxings on YouTube, you'll sometimes see me wrap a small cloth around the blades before I open them. From this point forward, I'll wipe down the entire knife before storing it. Sourcing one of those protectants is also a priority.

Perhaps Sack-Ups will be a longer-term consideration. And I don't have any knives with celluloid covers yet. That material also needs to be kept away from potential sources of ignition.

Thanks to all for the advice!
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

clockman wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:59 pm HI jerry, i like your choice of words! Sounds like you are from the hills of southern indiana, like me! have a good day everyone, Randy
Born and went through grade school in Evansville. Spent the early years across the Big Wabash in White County, Illinois.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

Dan In MI wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:45 am Might it behoove me to get them out of their boxes and/or replace the pieces of T-shirt with Sack-Ups?
I've been using these for years. They're made for silverware, but they work just as good for pocket knives. And, they roll up very neatly for easy storage. You can find them on eBay all day long. (Photo taken from Internet)

"If there are no Dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went". Will Rogers

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

XX Case XX wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:16 pm They're made for silverware, but they work just as good for pocket knives.
Something of that nature would be great for my carriers!
USN 2000-2006

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”