Packard Advertising Knife collectible?

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
Treasure Trawler

Packard Advertising Knife collectible?

Post by Treasure Trawler »

Hey all, I found this old advertising knife in this box. This looks to be old but I’m not sure if it’s a reproduction? Is it the original box? I’m wondering if there’s any value here? I usually go after older recognized pk’s. I know there’s also collectibility in automotive. Does this hold more value because of the Packard reference possibly?
8D46E939-42C5-4F57-AC2F-ED4E301F0438.jpeg
75CD4305-522A-4467-BC53-CD54D42F310A.jpeg
The grass withers the flower fades but the Word of our God stands forever. Isa 40:8
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Packard Advertising Knife collectible?

Post by edge213 »

Treasure Trawler wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:58 pm Hey all, I found this old advertising knife in this box. This looks to be old but I’m not sure if it’s a reproduction? Is it the original box? I’m wondering if there’s any value here? I usually go after older recognized pk’s. I know there’s also collectibility in automotive. Does this hold more value because of the Packard reference possibly?

8D46E939-42C5-4F57-AC2F-ED4E301F0438.jpeg
75CD4305-522A-4467-BC53-CD54D42F310A.jpeg
Made by Colonial. Not a reproduction. Very low value to a pocket knife collector.
Maybe a little more to a Packard collector.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
Froe

Post by Froe »

I agree that it isn't very valuable. But it is really cool. Take it to a car show.
Froe
Ridgegrass
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ridgegrass »

Always like the ones with 3 or 4 digit phone-numbers. Think Packard's last year was '55 or so. Cool piece in nice shape. J.O'.
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

Ridgegrass wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:49 am Think Packard's last year was '55 or so.
Packard lasted until 1958, but the 1957 and 1958 models were redesigned Studebakers. The last year that Packards were truly Packards were 1956.

That's a neat knife. It would look good sitting on the dashboard of a restored Packard at a car show.
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
Treasure Trawler

Post by Treasure Trawler »

Thanks. What age do you think this is? It’s got brass bolster, bale and pins. When did they stop using 4 digits? Ridgegrass are you old enough to remember those days??
The grass withers the flower fades but the Word of our God stands forever. Isa 40:8
Ridgegrass
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ridgegrass »

Again, that 4 digit phone number says something about age. Unless it was in a small town where those numbers may have lasted longer, but would there have been a Packard dealer in a small town? ::shrug:: Someone who worked for the phone companies may know how long 4 digit numbers were around. I think our number in suburban Baltimore became 7 digits in the early fifties when we got dial service as opposed to operator assist. Too bad the advertising doesn't give the city or town. Good luck, J.O'.
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Ridgegrass wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:46 pm Again, that 4 digit phone number says something about age. Unless it was in a small town where those numbers may have lasted longer, but would there have been a Packard dealer in a small town? ::shrug:: Someone who worked for the phone companies may know how long 4 digit numbers were around. I think our number in suburban Baltimore became 7 digits in the early fifties when we got dial service as opposed to operator assist. Too bad the advertising doesn't give the city or town. Good luck, J.O'.

I know of a town of less than 500 people that had a dealership which sold Ford cars and John Deere tractors from the '40s until 2005 when Ford shut them down. I know this as I purchased a handful of pieces from the owner's collection; and was in the process of returning to Union, WV to purchase the rest of it when I learned a reseller had purchased most of it.
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

If you have a little time and patience,Google,"Packard dealerships in and around 1953" and it will take you to a site that lists all the Packard dealerships in business in 1953 which is about the timeline of your knife.The list is arranged alphabetically by state.The length of the address suggests to me that it might be from a Midwest state(New England states don't have numbers that go that high usually).It might take awhile.
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

Out of curiousity and a desire to do some detective work, I searchef for that dealership. I do believe I found it: Russell, Harmon, & Roush, Inc. of Cincinnati. Google Maps street view seems to show that the building is vacant, and gives the vague description of "building." The dealership list can be found by digging around https://www.packardinfo.com (my tablet won't let me paste anything beyond that).
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Dan In MI wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:13 pm Out of curiousity and a desire to do some detective work, I searchef for that dealership. I do believe I found it: Russell, Harmon, & Roush, Inc. of Cincinnati. Google Maps street view seems to show that the building is vacant, and gives the vague description of "building." The dealership list can be found by digging around https://www.packardinfo.com (my tablet won't let me paste anything beyond that).
Great detective work Dan! ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”