Case tested 6211 1/2 ?

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
Dgood187

Case tested 6211 1/2 ?

Post by Dgood187 »

So this is a super cool knife my question is in all the book have it shows a shield bomb shield so is it ok not to have it?
82071615-1262-46D2-BD6C-7CCB7BFCBD63.jpeg
7EE2B0D8-FCDF-4367-BF84-C27D2D71E162.jpeg
RalphAlsip

Re: Case tested 6211 1/2 ?

Post by RalphAlsip »

It seems like this is a question of “does the lack of a shield call into question the authenticity of the knife”.

Old Case knives were made and sold without a shield, so it is ok the knife in question does not have a shield. Based on the pictures, which provide an incomplete experience to make a due diligence evaluation, the green bone handles look authentic so if the handles were damaged / missing and replaced, they were replaced with era-appropriate examples. My belief is the shields commonly used on this pattern in the Case Tested XX era were the raised letter bomb shield (as mentioned) and the oval engraved letter shield. If I saw an 11 ½ pattern with an arrow shield or a diamond shield and everything else about the knife looked right I would say that would be ok, too.

On the other hand, this knife listed on eBay at the link below which is described with the phrase "skeptical about authenticity" is unequivocally 100% not authentic.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/184835271722?h ... Swna5gnc6W
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

RalphAlsip wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 5:34 pm It seems like this is a question of “does the lack of a shield call into question the authenticity of the knife”.

Old Case knives were made and sold without a shield, so it is ok the knife in question does not have a shield. Based on the pictures, which provide an incomplete experience to make a due diligence evaluation, the green bone handles look authentic so if the handles were damaged / missing and replaced, they were replaced with era-appropriate examples. My belief is the shields commonly used on this pattern in the Case Tested XX era were the raised letter bomb shield (as mentioned) and the oval engraved letter shield. If I saw an 11 ½ pattern with an arrow shield or a diamond shield and everything else about the knife looked right I would say that would be ok, too.

On the other hand, this knife listed on eBay at the link below which is described with the phrase "skeptical about authenticity" is unequivocally 100% not authentic.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/184835271722?h ... Swna5gnc6W
After that description it's still up to $59 plus shipping.
I just don't understand some people. Unless some crook is bidding on it to sell later as legitimate.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
Dgood187

Post by Dgood187 »

Ok thank you an on the linked knife they are pretty clear that they don’t think it’s real an it’s a buy at your own risk auction! Why do you think people are interested? Just as a user an not collectible? I guess knifes are meant to be used!
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Hard to tell from the photos, but if the bolsters and liners are steel it would be a war time knife and nickel for shields was not used. Not a Case expert here, but I do know the Tested mark ran through the war on Case pocket knives. (Forget that 1920-1940 business), it is incorrect) KA-BAR war era pocket knives do not have shields because nickel was reserved for military use.

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”