Parker Edwards Damascus - USA Made or Japan Made?

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Parker Edwards Damascus - USA Made or Japan Made?

Post by knifeaholic »

I recently got a small group of Parker-Edwards stamped knives with Damascus blades.

I had thought that when Parker partnered with Fain Edwards to make Parker stamped knives with blades of Fain Edwards Damascus steel, that the knives were all made in Parker's Jacksonville, Alabama factory.

Each knife is tang stamped either Parker Edwards over Jacksonville, AL, or just Parker Edwards. No USA included in the stamp (but not marked Japan either).

These knives all seem to have the "look" and "feel" of the 70's to 80's Parker knives that were made in Japan, particularly the handle materials.

And, each box has a tiny Japan sticker on the inside lid of the box - but again, no marking of Japan on the knife.

Does anyone know the story on these as to where they were made?
Attachments
IMG_0713.JPG
IMG_0722.JPG
IMG_0751.JPG
IMG_0760.JPG
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Parker Edwards Damascus - USA Made or Japan Made?

Post by peanut740 »

Maybe the blades were made in the US and shipped to Japan for assembly. The Damascus looks like what was made by Edwards.
Roger
olderdogs1

Post by olderdogs1 »

I agree, they do look like the knives Parker had made in Japan. I have like you always thought they were made in the US. This makes one wonder where the Damascus Knives that Parker had made for Case were produced? We all know Parker was a crafty marketer.

Tom
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

Thanks for the replies Tom and Roger.

Yes it is a mystery.

I know that Bear & Son still offers Damascus blade knives, don't know if they reveal the source of the Damascus.
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

Parker Edwards made their own Damascus in Jacksonville AL. Later the ones made in Japan will have Japan on the tang stamp. Bear & Sons who bought the facility from Parker in Jacksonville Alabama still make Damascus in their facility now.
Sometimes I Sit and Think ::hmm:: .... Other times I just Sit
I May Grow Older, But I refuse to Grow Up!!
I'll sharpen it for you, but I don't give out band-aids!!

Smitty
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

Papa Bones wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:27 am Parker Edwards made their own Damascus in Jacksonville AL. Later the ones made in Japan will have Japan on the tang stamp. Bear & Sons who bought the facility from Parker in Jacksonville Alabama still make Damascus in their facility now.
Thanks...the mystery with these (about 10 knives total of several patterns) is that whiled the boxes have the "Japan" sticker, the tang stamps do not say USA or JAPAN.
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

knifeaholic wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:37 am
Papa Bones wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:27 am Parker Edwards made their own Damascus in Jacksonville AL. Later the ones made in Japan will have Japan on the tang stamp. Bear & Sons who bought the facility from Parker in Jacksonville Alabama still make Damascus in their facility now.
Thanks...the mystery with these (about 10 knives total of several patterns) is that whiled the boxes have the "Japan" sticker, the tang stamps do not say USA or JAPAN.
Steve, if they have the Jacksonville AL tang stamp, they were made in that facility. If they have the Japan stamp, that goes without saying. There is still a debate that if they don't have the Jacksonville or Japan stamp, it is speculated they were produced in Japan.
Sometimes I Sit and Think ::hmm:: .... Other times I just Sit
I May Grow Older, But I refuse to Grow Up!!
I'll sharpen it for you, but I don't give out band-aids!!

Smitty
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

Papa Bones wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:05 am
knifeaholic wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:37 am
Steve, if they have the Jacksonville AL tang stamp, they were made in that facility. If they have the Japan stamp, that goes without saying. There is still a debate that if they don't have the Jacksonville or Japan stamp, it is speculated they were produced in Japan.

Ok, thanks a bunch, exactly what I was looking for.

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”