Can anyone tell me about this?

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
Dgood187

Can anyone tell me about this?

Post by Dgood187 »

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Dgood187

Re: Can anyone tell me about this?

Post by Dgood187 »

2E911AD9-D958-4BDB-A118-04A703E70A5C.jpeg
143D97EF-69E2-4B1C-B5D2-5E5CEF43D2F4.jpeg
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Interesting piece. The pattern number on the master blade doesn’t match the handle covers. Stamp looks like 82053 which should have MOP covers, not bone. The shield is upside down. ::shrug:: What is the closed length?

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
richard

Post by richard »

nice old knife been re handled with bone. to give it a 2nd lease on life.it is the sort of thing i do when i find a old knife . with no covers. :D
richard

Post by richard »

Here is a old camillus sword brand. i found .that i am working on now. with outgassing covers. i have cleaned it up ready to fit deer antler covers. i will post the finished result. if i dont stuff it up lol.
Attachments
IMG_0982.JPG
IMG_0984.JPG
IMG_0983.JPG
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

richard wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:49 pm nice old knife been re handled with bone. to give it a 2nd lease on life.it is the sort of thing i do when i find a old knife . with no covers. :D
Which is fine (although I'd rather have seen it re-handle in MOP to keep it "original" ) as long as the re-handle knife isn't then represented as being authentic when it is sold. The OP doesn't say in his post but looking at the wood background in the pictures I'm guessing it's on eBay being represented as authentic. ::shrug::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

Dgood187

Post by Dgood187 »

It looks like a 6 to me with a loop that’s bone
richard

Post by richard »

63 IS STAG WITH BOLSTERS 53 IS PEARL WITH A BAIL.
Attachments
1499788465_51_2.jpg
1528902987_51_2.jpg
richard

Post by richard »

so not original covers. is this being sold on ebay as original?
richard

Post by richard »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:43 pm
richard wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:49 pm nice old knife been re handled with bone. to give it a 2nd lease on life.it is the sort of thing i do when i find a old knife . with no covers. :D
Which is fine (although I'd rather have seen it re-handle in MOP to keep it "original" ) as long as the re-handle knife isn't then represented as being authentic when it is sold. The OP doesn't say in his post but looking at the wood background in the pictures I'm guessing it's on eBay being represented as authentic. ::shrug::

Ken
MOP is very hard to peen new covers on, the rocker pin is the worse one. allways breaks. because its close to the edge. alot of makers do not peen the rocker pin. i have tried many times with only one success . on a remington that came out well.
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

I had a go at enhancing the photo of the pattern number stamp...
PSX_20210615_210448.jpg
The first number sure looks like an 8 to me. But there also appears to be the faint outline of a 6 behind it. What is going on there...unusual wear, a tang that was ground down and restamped, or something else entirely? Very perplexing, this one.
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

richard wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:45 pm
Mumbleypeg wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:43 pm

Ken
MOP is very hard to peen new covers on, the rocker pin is the worse one. allways breaks. because its close to the edge. alot of makers do not peen the rocker pin. i have tried many times with only one success . on a remington that came out well.
It’s not easy. It can be done but I’m sure it takes some experience working with MOP. I have two 100+ year old knives, both rare, that had cracked or missing MOP covers, and had both of them repaired with new MOP. It took me a while to find cutlers willing to undertake the task. One was done by Bill DeShivs, the other by Case repair (obviously cutlers having considerable skills and experience with MOP.)
Dan In MI wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:12 am I had a go at enhancing the photo of the pattern number stamp...

PSX_20210615_210448.jpg

The first number sure looks like an 8 to me. But there also appears to be the faint outline of a 6 behind it. What is going on there...unusual wear, a tang that was ground down and restamped, or something else entirely? Very perplexing, this one.
I tried enlarging the picture also, before my first post in this thread. I was looking for a 6, but can’t see any way it could be a 6.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:28 am I was looking for a 6, but can’t see any way it could be a 6.
The prominent stamp is an 8. However, there looks to be remnants of another tang stamp under the prominent one. It's almost as if someone ground away most (but not all) of an old stamp and stamped a slightly smaller number over it. There could be another perfectly rational explanation (like my eyes playing tricks on me). I can't come up with a rational explanation for why someone would grind down a correct tang stamp and overstamp an incorrect one...but I guess it's possible.
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”