ID Garden ? Cutting Tool

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
kootenay joe

ID Garden ? Cutting Tool

Post by kootenay joe »

This tool is about 20" overall length and blade is 11" long. The blade is thin and has a sharpened edge, both sides. There is a point protruding above the spine at the blade end.
Made in England by "Martindale" ? & Co. Ltd. Crocodile logo.
I do not have my knife books with me to check this name for spelling & dates
What is this tool used for ?
Does it have a name ?
thanks for the help.
kj
Attachments
lucky june 7 2019 006.jpg
lucky june 7 2019 001.jpg
cody6268

Re: ID Garden ? Cutting Tool

Post by cody6268 »

Sugarcane harvesting knife:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cane_knife

However, many places that sell gardening tools seem to carry some type of cane knife (and I think I have one here somewhere; a cheapo that's a national farm supply chain's own brand); which mostly see use as general chopping knives for hard use.

This one has a longer handle, but has the same marking as your knife. Apparently, these were made until relatively recently.

http://www.nqas.ashop.com.au/p/8864855/cane-knife.html
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Yes that is a cane knife for harvesting sugar cane. When the British colonised a lot of the world, they made huge incomes from cotton, tea, rubber plantations etc., also sugar cane. Companies would have been commissioned to make tools and machinery for such out lying posts, and many would have been made. The brand and history of yours i know nothing about per se, but it is a Sugar Cane knife, we had them made over here under licence, but mechanical harvesters made them redundant for large scale harvesting. They are nearly all made in Asia now.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thank you cody & cudgee. The Wiki link has some interesting old pictures showing 'workers' with this knife in hand.
Hard to know how old my "Crocodile" cane cutter is but it could be 100 yrs old, i.e. from 1920's.
Mystery solved, thanks.
kj
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Sugar cane is good for 2 things. 😉🥃
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Years ago i was in Barbados and the locals would walk around sucking on a sugar cane stalk. They all had beautiful shiny white teeth. No cavities, at least in the front teeth.
kj
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

kootenay joe wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 2:29 am Years ago i was in Barbados and the locals would walk around sucking on a sugar cane stalk. They all had beautiful shiny white teeth. No cavities, at least in the front teeth.
kj
Here in these parts, similar knives both store bought and homemade were also called corn knives. They were used for cutting corn stalks to bundle into sheathes.

As to chewing sugar cane, I’ve seen the locals in Honduras do the same. I even cut a piece on the side of the road and tried it. Pretty sweet.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Post by Paladin »

I have a machete made by this company. I bought it when I was just a youngster, about 1950 or so. I bought it at the Army - Navy store in Abilene. That was one of two knives that sorta started my knife collection. :D

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Paladin wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 12:34 pm I have a machete made by this company. I bought it when I was just a youngster, about 1950 or so. I bought it at the Army - Navy store in Abilene. That was one of two knives that sorta started my knife collection. :D

Ray
The crocodile made me do it, collect knives.
kj
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Post by Paladin »

kootenay joe wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:37 am
Paladin wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 12:34 pm I have a machete made by this company. I bought it when I was just a youngster, about 1950 or so. I bought it at the Army - Navy store in Abilene. That was one of two knives that sorta started my knife collection. :D

Ray
kj
Apologies for hijacking the thread.
Truth is, I knew nothing about the Crocodile until about 40 years later when I started organizing my collection. The knife had a sort of splatter coat on it and I had to use some thinner to finally be able to see the stamp. It was the first time I knew it was British. The other knife was a USMC corpsman's bolo and I still have it also. It is a magnificent knife.

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Paladin wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:01 am
kootenay joe wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:37 am

Ray
kj
Apologies for hijacking the thread.
Truth is, I knew nothing about the Crocodile until about 40 years later when I started organizing my collection. The knife had a sort of splatter coat on it and I had to use some thinner to finally be able to see the stamp. It was the first time I knew it was British. The other knife was a USMC corpsman's bolo and I still have it also. It is a magnificent knife.

Ray
The splatter coat would have been to protect it from the juice of the sugar cane and stop it from sticking.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Ray, your posts are not "hijacking". You are adding more info about this Crocodile brand and how the knife kindled your interest in knives.
Some of the best threads are those with a variety of information or stories that are only vaguely connected to the opening post.
kj
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Ooops, double post.
kj

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”