Silver Knight/Silver Eagle

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
kootenay joe

Silver Knight/Silver Eagle

Post by kootenay joe »

Most collectors know the Gerber "Silver Knight" a 3 1/4" lock back with a long bolster and made in Japan.
I have 4 of these but there are significant differences in how they are marked.
I also have a Frost Cutlery "Silver Knight", a 2 3/4" metal handle lock back also made in Japan. It is a well made knife and from the box i think older than the Gerber "Silver Knight".
Two of my Gerber Silver Knight knives are the same: wood handles and marked: "Gerber/Portland,OR." on the front tang and "Silver Knight/by Sakai, Japan" on the back tang.
One has a checkered green Micarta ? handle and it has "Gerber/International" on the front tang and "Silver Knight/Japan" on the back tang.
The pearl handled one has "Gerber/Portland Oregon/97223 U.S.A." on the front tang and "Silver Eagle/by Sakai Japan" on the back tang.

Am i correct that the Frost "Silver Knight" is older than the Gerber's ? If so did Gerber buy the rights to use "Silver Knight" ? Or did they not know of Frost's use of the name "Silver Knight" ?
And why is the Micarta one marked "Gerber/International" rather than "Gerber/Portland, OR." as all were made in Japan ?
And finally the pearl handle Gerber "Silver Eagle" is identical to the "Silver Knight". So why is it marked "Silver Eagle" ?
I also find it odd that the "Silver Eagle" has the Gerber ZIP code on the tang.

Does anyone know the sequence of these knives in time ? and why one is a "Silver Eagle" ?
kj
Attachments
IMGP1461.JPG
IMGP1462.JPG
IMGP1463.JPG
IMGP1464.JPG
IMGP1471.JPG
IMGP1475.JPG
knife7knut

Re: Silver Knight/Silver Eagle

Post by knife7knut »

Roland I am far from being an expert on Gerber knives(or anything else for that matter)but I believe the Silver Eagle marking pre-dates the Silver Knight mark.The one marked Sakai is probably the oldest. I was of the understanding that the early models were made in the USA and that anything marked,"Gerber/International" was strictly of Japanese origin.
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thanks Ray. All of these are marked "Japan", not just the "Gerber/International".
Why is one of them marked "Silver Eagle" ?
I have seen quite a few of these Gerber "Silver Knight" on ebay but only this one marked "Silver Eagle".
Is the Frost "Silver Knight" older than the Gerbers ?
kj
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

The First one's were (1977 & 1978) the Silver Eagle from Japan but Trailways Bus saw them a law suit over the Silver Eagle name was forth-coming and forced Gerber to re-name the knife the Silver Knight.
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Here are two Silver Eagles and a Silver Knight.
Attachments
GerberSilverEagle1BladeMarkSide.JPG
GerberSilverEagle1BladePileSide.JPG
GerberSilverEagle2BladeMarkSide2.JPG
GerberSilverEagle2BladePileSide.JPG
GerberSilverKnight(Michelin)2BladeMarkSide.JPG
GerberSilverKnight(Michelin)2BladePileSide.JPG
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

kennedy knives wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:23 am The First one's were (1977 & 1978) the Silver Eagle from Japan but Trailways Bus saw them a law suit over the Silver Eagle name was forth-coming and forced Gerber to re-name the knife the Silver Knight.
Thank you. Now i know why the name change. I guess Frost did not mind that Gerber was using the "Silver Knight" name.
kj
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

knife7knut wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:40 am Here are two Silver Eagles and a Silver Knight.
Thanks Ray. I was fairly sure that you would have an example or two.
kj

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”