How far do you go?

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
carpx

How far do you go?

Post by carpx »

I primarily collect old Gerber folders. Many have brass and wood handles, and of course tarnish is a serious condition. I sometimes buy several knives to get the Gerber I want and have accumulated several such as a Camillus electricians knife that cleaned up to look almost unused. On the other side of the coin I see some who say you should leave the "patina" intact. I have been sharpening knives with whet stones for 50 years, and can put a shaving edge on a knife without leaving a single scratch on the blade, and I do so with every knife I own. I also use 600 grit sandpaper and jewelers rouge to remove discoloration and superficial black spots. That's about as far as I care to go with a knife, and don't feel I am hurting the value of a vintage knife, after all they are a tool, and should be kept in the same condition you would a micrometer or precision scale.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: How far do you go?

Post by Mumbleypeg »

A question hashed and re-hashed here on AAPK. Here are some links to prior discussions on the topic. viewtopic.php?f=37&t=54157

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Case V42
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Case V42 »

I also collect pre-Fiskars Gerbers. My common practice is to leave any knife with handle chips, nicks, and wear as found. Nothing looks worse than a well-used knife that has been "shined up". Sort of like putting make-up on a pig. However, if I acquire an otherwise like new knife with tarnished brass I will use a little Flitz to bring back some sparkle.
carpx

Post by carpx »

Got a Camillis electricians knife that was horribly neglected and filthy. To my surprise, very little cleaning revealed an almost new knife, obviously never used. I used jewelers rouge on a felt pad and rubbed by hand. The channel lock etching on the blade was totally intact.
Attachments
IMG_0824.JPG
IMG_0825 (1).JPG
carpx

Post by carpx »

Here is what was a badly abused Gerber Sportsman III. It is somewhat rare, and the blade was badly scratched and the handle tarnished. It also had the dullest blade I ever saw on any Gerber. I carefully removed the scratches with a die makers stone, and then polished it to a low gloss finish with 600 grit sand paper and jewelers rouge on a scrap of felt. It is obviously not a new knife, but no longer shows the abuse it suffered...I also stoned it back to a shaving edge using a tri-hone...
Attachments
IMG_0831.JPG
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

That Camillus 27 looks really good.

In my case, how far I'd go with spiffing up a knife is largely taken on a case-by-case basis. A few little spots and pits here and there don't worry me in the least. Severe carbon spotting, pitting, and rust would definitely be tended to. Sometimes the simple combination of warm water and blue Dawn dish soap (and a few drops of oil afterwards, of course) can go a long way. Making a used knife shinier than it was when new is something I wouldn't do, thouhh.
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
Rossr

Post by Rossr »

I have seen this or similar questions many times come up and it leads to much debate. In the custom knife world there is a large debate about what is handmade. I have grappled with the handmade question myself and the clean up an old knife or straight razor question of how far. That being said. At this point its comes down to what makes me happy. I am not a knife collector trying to profit I just like knives and I like fixing them up and making them. When it comes to knives I make or sell, To me being honest about the process is all that counts to me. If I used a milling machine or someone asks how I made part of one I am happy to share. When it comes to cleaning up an old knife pocket or otherwise. I clean off the rust and dirt etc, clean it up till I'm happy. Sometimes I shine them up sometimes not. Long as I brought it some new life and I'm happy with the results to me its a win. IF I Chose to sell it again being honest about what was done is what counts.

Best

Ross
Einhornllc Custom knives and leather.

Come stroll around my AAPK store sit a spell maybe buy a knife or two ::nod::

https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/rossr

https://www.einhorncustom.com/
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

Rossr wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:39 pm I have seen this or similar questions many times come up and it leads to much debate. In the custom knife world there is a large debate about what is handmade. I have grappled with the handmade question myself and the clean up an old knife or straight razor question of how far. That being said. At this point its comes down to what makes me happy. I am not a knife collector trying to profit I just like knives and I like fixing them up and making them. When it comes to knives I make or sell, To me being honest about the process is all that counts to me. If I used a milling machine or someone asks how I made part of one I am happy to share. When it comes to cleaning up an old knife pocket or otherwise. I clean off the rust and dirt etc, clean it up till I'm happy. Sometimes I shine them up sometimes not. Long as I brought it some new life and I'm happy with the results to me its a win. IF I Chose to sell it again being honest about what was done is what counts.

Best

Ross
I agree! If it is your knife, do with it what makes you happy. If you are buying it to resell, then do what sells.
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
Rossr

Post by Rossr »

Reverand wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:01 am
Rossr wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:39 pm I have seen this or similar questions many times come up and it leads to much debate. In the custom knife world there is a large debate about what is handmade. I have grappled with the handmade question myself and the clean up an old knife or straight razor question of how far. That being said. At this point its comes down to what makes me happy. I am not a knife collector trying to profit I just like knives and I like fixing them up and making them. When it comes to knives I make or sell, To me being honest about the process is all that counts to me. If I used a milling machine or someone asks how I made part of one I am happy to share. When it comes to cleaning up an old knife pocket or otherwise. I clean off the rust and dirt etc, clean it up till I'm happy. Sometimes I shine them up sometimes not. Long as I brought it some new life and I'm happy with the results to me its a win. IF I Chose to sell it again being honest about what was done is what counts.

Best

Ross
I agree! If it is your knife, do with it what makes you happy. If you are buying it to resell, then do what sells.

This is an excellent point. If you are buying to resell the market will dictate what sells. Lord knows I'm guilty of making leather and knives that havent sold cause I didnt pay close enough attention to what sells. If you ate trying to turn a profit go with what sells
Well said Reverand
Einhornllc Custom knives and leather.

Come stroll around my AAPK store sit a spell maybe buy a knife or two ::nod::

https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/rossr

https://www.einhorncustom.com/

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”