USMC mil k no stamp .

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

USMC mil k no stamp .

Post by Ripster »

This USMC Knife is marked with U.S. MARINE CORPS on one cover. No tang stamp or bail markings . Is this a Camillus ? Same size as the 83 Camillus that I brought home with me from Army days . Noticed the knurled knob on the screwdriver/ cutter blade. Also it has stainless covers but brass liners and divider and Carbon blades and Rivets . The 1983 that is in the pic has all stainless . So why the combination of metals on the USMC knife ? Thanks for any feedback .
Attachments
37CA4C23-6254-4599-AB84-1DC1E52A3F2D.jpeg
E18AA226-C932-4F67-962B-D77D9B579668.jpeg
JP
Gunsil

Re: USMC mil k no stamp .

Post by Gunsil »

Your knife appears to be a late WW2 model, the first of a long line of MIL-Ks. Likely made by Stevenson, and the scales are monel, not stainless steel. The first Camillus version was made in 1949 and is marked on the blade Camillus 1949 and they are very rare, I just sold mine. You got a nice early knife there. Stevenson and Kingston made the WW2 USMC marked knives and the Kingston ones were usually marked on the bail as was the first post war version made by Ulster in 1948.
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

Gunsil wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:56 pm Your knife appears to be a late WW2 model, the first of a long line of MIL-Ks. Likely made by Stevenson, and the scales are monel, not stainless steel. The first Camillus version was made in 1949 and is marked on the blade Camillus 1949 and they are very rare, I just sold mine. You got a nice early knife there. Stevenson and Kingston made the WW2 USMC marked knives and the Kingston ones were usually marked on the bail as was the first post war version made by Ulster in 1948.
Thank you Sir. Scales are Monel, that’s a new one on me will have to do some reading on that . The Stevenson and Kingston I have are marked like you said . This one came with a lot,so was curious about maker . If there is anyone interested in this let’s talk,would be willing to trade for anything pre 1960 .
JP
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Well if you have a marked Stevenson and Kingston you should be able to compare the unmarked one with the marked ones and perhaps that will tell you the maker. If you are looking for the early ones be aware that the 1949 Camillus ones sell for around a thousand bucks, and the Ulster 1948s are pretty dear too. Too bad I didn't know you were looking, I just sold my Ulster 1948 to the same guy who bought my 1949 Camillus. Hard to find knives without a doubt. Wallace Rockwell has a bunch of MIL-Ks for sale, I don't know all the dates he has, but he had about 30 of them at the Camillus show last month. You can contact him through the Camillus Collectors Club site, I think there is a link to his store there. I think I have an unused Kingston lying around.
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Ripster wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:50 pm This.....
JP, NICE! ::tu:: ::tu::
PLEASE post it here also:
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=67970
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

Ripster wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:50 pm This USMC Knife is marked with U.S. MARINE CORPS on one cover. No tang stamp or bail markings . Is this a Camillus ? Same size as the 83 Camillus that I brought home with me from Army days . Noticed the knurled knob on the screwdriver/ cutter blade. Also it has stainless covers but brass liners and divider and Carbon blades and Rivets . The 1983 that is in the pic has all stainless . So why the combination of metals on the USMC knife ? Thanks for any feedback .
Very nice JP. I was leaning towards Stevenson also.
Sometimes I Sit and Think ::hmm:: .... Other times I just Sit
I May Grow Older, But I refuse to Grow Up!!
I'll sharpen it for you, but I don't give out band-aids!!

Smitty

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”