Were Rigid Bowies made by Parker

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
Stowbilly1970

Were Rigid Bowies made by Parker

Post by Stowbilly1970 »

Stowbilly1970

Re: Were Rigid Bowies made by Parker

Post by Stowbilly1970 »

I asked this bc the Rigid Bowies on YouTube look exactly like my G96 model 920 which was designed by Hattori and made by Parker It was modeled on the Buck 105
    Madmarco
    Gold Tier
    Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Stowbilly1970 wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:16 pm I asked this bc the Rigid Bowies on YouTube look exactly like my G96 model 920 which was designed by Hattori and made by Parker It was modeled on the Buck 105
    I don't know the answer to your question S.B.1970, ::shrug:: but, ::welcome:: to AAPK! You might want to also post the question in the "Let's see your Parkers" thread, either way someone who has the answer will be along eventually. 8)
    8)
    zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

Rigid Knives were made in Santee, California starting in the early 1970s by former Buck employees - Bill Duff, Dean Parks, and Don Collum . The company later moved to Lake Hamilton, Arkansas. They went out of business sometime in the 1980s.
    Madmarco
    Gold Tier
    Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Told ya! 8)
    8)
    Modern Slip Joints

Post by Modern Slip Joints »

As posted above, the original Rigid company made their own knives including a roughly 6" blade Bowie and an enormous Bowie. The huge one went in the top of the dispaly case to attract potential customers from across the store. However, after Rigid folded the name was owned by others who had fixed blade knives made in Italy, Japan and maybe other places. Italian, Japanese and original fixed blade Rigids are very different and obvious at a glance. The original company's first series of fixed blade knives were heavy full tang knives. The full shape of their hand guards and butt were included in the full tang and had brass pinned to their sides. At 6" the Bowie had the longest blade of the usable size knives. Its blade was unusually broad but ended in a fine point. Later the original company added a line of smaller lighter weight fixed blades but I do not think anyone would call them Bowies. The Italian made fixed blades had conventional hand guards and pomels. They were made with blades from about 6" to 8". While some would be sellers hope they'll find a buyer who will ignorantly bid on the name alone only the original Rigid knives sell for high prices.

Some G96 branded knives were made in Japan so since yours looks similar to G96 knives I'll go out on a limb and guess it was made in Japan. A picture would help.

Welcome to the forum.

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”