Help, very confused

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
bunterboy1010

Help, very confused

Post by bunterboy1010 »

Hi, first time poster.

I picked these two knives up in a shed clearance and was wondering if anyone could help with some information about them. I have done some research but have hit a bit of a brick wall.

The first is a black handled knife. It has a blade which is around 2 1/2" long and a can/bottle opener. There is an arrow facing upwards (War Dept?) and the letters SS above the letters IPS. There was a ship called SS Ipswich built in 1883 and scrapped in 1909.

The second has me stumped. It is a strange looking thing. When shut and clicked together it is around 2 1/2" long. When you open it and click the handle together and expose the blade it is around 4 1/4" long. The handles appear be bone or ivory. The blade looks quite feminine. The marks at the base of the blade read 'MADE GERMANY. PATENT BONT(?)EN & SABIN'.

I would be very grateful for any information and, if anyone knows what the rough values are, that would be great,

thanks

John
P1030300.JPG
P1030299.JPG
P1030298.JPG
P1030296.JPG
P1030295.JPG
P1030294.JPG
just bob

Re: Help, very confused

Post by just bob »

The one is definitely a military knife. There are several variations of that knife including one made for rigging. Here is one similar to yours that is Italian made. I can't read the tang stamp on yours. I have had these and recall they are quite heavy.

https://shop.militaryrange.eu/product/o ... 1000076068

Is the other a ballisong type knife?
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Welcome to AAPK. Glad to have you aboard.

The top knife is a Bontgen & Sabin Butterfly knife. Very worn, Value - Minimal

The bottom knife is English. Probably WWII, the "broad arrow" meant it was owned by the British war dept. Again very worn, Value - Minimal. Read more about it here --► https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/kn ... php?t=9829
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

::welcome:: to AAPK! I believe there is a thread on these sailor/rigging knives. I think Jerry gave you what you need on the butterfly knife. ::tu::

John

*Edit- found it; https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/kn ... ilor+knife

British sailor knives info.
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Froe

Post by Froe »

Low $ value on a sale, but still really cool. Worth owning just for the history. If they could talk...I mean who carries a balisong long enough to wear down the blades like that? Gotta be a good story there.
Froe
Ridgegrass
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ridgegrass »

Boentgen and Sabin was a Solingen, Germany firm from 1867-1983. Many are stamped Bonsa with a foot kicking a soccer ball on the reverse. They made some nice knives and lots of average items like mini tool kit knives. Yours is a "butterfly" knife that looks pretty well sharpened away. The other one is a Sailor's "type" knife, maybe "issued". I have one like it but it has a marlin spike also, (for knot work,"Marlin" is a light cord used in whipping larger rope.). Yours is either missing it or never had one.
The Sailor's knife in the pic is an ABL from Belgium dated 1951. The bone handled jack is a Bonsa
Welcome to the site. ::handshake:: J.O'.
Attachments
IMG_3595.jpg
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Ridgegrass wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 2:51 pm I have one like it but it has a marlin spike also, (for knot work,"Marlin" is a light cord used in whipping larger rope.). Yours is either missing it or never had one.
His never had a Marlin Spike. Frame is all wrong for a Marlin Spike.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

jerryd6818 wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 2:58 pm
Ridgegrass wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 2:51 pm I have one like it but it has a marlin spike also, (for knot work,"Marlin" is a light cord used in whipping larger rope.). Yours is either missing it or never had one.
Welcome to AAPK! ::tu::

Jerry is right, no marlin spike on the knife in the OP.
Obviously with the broad arrow it was for the British government, most likely during World War II.
I expect this is more of a general issue utility knife for the British Navy as opposed to the more specialized knife with a marlin spike. Perhaps one of our experts on British military knives could confirm that or deny it, as appropriate. I am not an expert on British military knives but I know such people do exist and have been known to frequent AAPK.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Check out my link above. ⬆️
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
just bob

Post by just bob »

orvet wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 3:37 pm
jerryd6818 wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 2:58 pm
Welcome to AAPK! ::tu::

Jerry is right, no marlin spike on the knife in the OP.
Obviously with the broad arrow it was for the British government, most likely during World War II.
I expect this is more of a general issue utility knife for the British Navy as opposed to the more specialized knife with a marlin spike. Perhaps one of our experts on British military knives could confirm that or deny it, as appropriate. I am not an expert on British military knives but I know such people do exist and have been known to frequent AAPK.
Dale I'm speaking about the type of knife in the OP and not the marlin spike type. Were all knives made in this style for military use or were some intended for civilian and even scout use? I have always thought they were military only but maybe that isn't right?
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Yes, for pete's sake read John's (1967redrider) post and follow the link.
smiling-knife has been dormant for quite some time but his thread is a wealth of information about the knife.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Ridgegrass
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ridgegrass »

Agree, couldn't tell from the pic. Don't think mine is military, no marks to indicate it, Can't really say. J.O'.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Ridgegrass wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:26 pm Agree, couldn't tell from the pic. Don't think mine is military, no marks to indicate it, Can't really say. J.O'.
There are marks to indicate military. It's the "broad arrow"!!!!!!
Attachments
download.jpg
download.jpg (7.22 KiB) Viewed 1163 times
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
bunterboy1010

Post by bunterboy1010 »

Thank you all for all your help. It is much appreciated.

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”