Smelly Scent Solution?

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Smelly Scent Solution?

Post by QTCut5 »

Anyone know how to get a strong eau de toilette smell out of an FRN knife handle?

I recently purchased a used Spyderco Delica 4 on eBay that has the typical Spyderco FRN handle (Fiberglass Reinforced Nylon). When I opened the package, a cloud of noxious vapor burst out and immediately assaulted/overloaded my olfactory receptors and made my eyes water. The cause of the very strong odor seems to be due to some kind of cologne or aftershave that I believe was probably applied to the knife in order to disguise the very light--but easily recognized--underlying smell of cigarette smoke. I'm guessing the previous owner/seller must have soaked it in a vat of cologne for at least day or two before shipping it. (For the record, I would have preferred the cigarette smoke to the industrial strength and apparently permanent cologne.)

I've tried washing & rinsing it (multiple times) with Dawn dish soap, Neutrogena shampoo & Comet, and yet the scent remains--with very little perceptible reduction in intensity, if any at all.

Short of changing the scales, I wonder if anyone has any other ideas of what else I could try to remove the persistent "bouquet" ::undecided::

Any/all ideas sincerely & gratefully welcomed ::nod::
~Q~
Samb

Re: Smelly Scent Solution?

Post by Samb »

I'd take it out in the garage or shed and just leave it there and maybe the open air might make the smell go away, eventually.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Q, when our golden retrieve was sprayed by a skunk we used tomato juice on him and that helped to cut it down a lot. Of course tomato juice is acidic so it might corrode the metal using that. Perfume contains oils so whatever will cut oil should help to cut this. You could also try “Febreez”or one of those scent reducing sprays. If that doesn’t work, send it back. Good luck.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
313 Mike

Post by 313 Mike »

I don't know if this product is readily available on the island, but it's quite common here in Wisconsin, especially this time of year. Works great.
Attachments
514iHO-R+4L.jpg
Mike

There are those who are...and those who wish they were. He himself decides.
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

From Google Q:

Step 1 - Mix 1 cup of warm water with 1 cup of white or apple cider vinegar.

Step 2 - Use a soft cloth to rub the mixture onto the knife. Allow the mixture to dry on the knife.

Step 3 - Wet a soft cloth with warm water and wipe down the knife removing the vinegar.

Step 4 - Use a towel to dry the knife so it doesn't get spots.
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I was going to suggest you soak it in rubbing alcohol for a couple of days but Tom's vinegar solution is probably safer and better. ::shrug::
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
beresman
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by beresman »

My thought (as an engineer in a previous life) is that the aromatics will evaporate eventually--but they might flash off faster at elevated temperature. Nothing really hot, of course (nylon has a relatively high melt point, for plastic, but still...). Oven at 160 degrees, maybe? although it may also affect whatever lubricant is on the knife.
Brent
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Thanks for all the feedback, everyone.

I was going to try a white vinegar treatment (as Tom suggested) because from my experience that is a miracle substance with many uses, but I wasn't sure exactly what if any effect the vinegar acid might have on the FRN, so I thought I'd ask for some advice first. Also, I was really hoping to remove the smell entirely, not just cover it up with another scent (after all, I wouldn't want people thinking the bulge in my pocket was actually a pickle! ::uc:: :lol: )
~Q~
C-WADE7
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by C-WADE7 »

Put it in a box with a bowl of baking soda in it and close it up. No chance of chemical reactions or discoloration and no actual contact with the knife.
CluelessNick
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by CluelessNick »

I was thinking baking soda too. I've also read that uncooked rice will absorb odors
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

C-WADE7 wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 10:45 pm Put it in a box with a bowl of baking soda in it and close it up. No chance of chemical reactions or discoloration and no actual contact with the knife.
I like this idea A LOT ::nod::
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
eveled

Post by eveled »

Baking soda or charcoal. Seal it in a bag with either one.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Baking Soda, magical powder! 8)
8)
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Let us know how that turns out for you.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Got it immersed in Baking Soda and will leave it for 24 hrs. Hopefully that will do the trick. ::fc::
~Q~
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

PB060005.JPG
~Q~
C-WADE7
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by C-WADE7 »

Let us know if it works! I may require a good blowing off and cleaning, baking soda is abrasive and in bearings or bushings it may cause wear or binding.
Samb

Post by Samb »

QTCut5 wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 11:41 pmPB060005.JPG
If that doesn't work leave it in your pants pocket and run it through the wash.
Lama
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Lama »

My wife, a paintings conservator, suggested using activated charcoal if the baking soda doesn’t work. They use it to take away the smoke smell from art work that has been exposed to fire. Treat it the same way you did with the baking soda.

As a side note, if the knife was bought on eBay you have grounds to return the knife if the odor wasn’t mentioned in the listing. This holds even if the seller doesn’t off returns. Just say it was not as described or damaged.

Good luck.
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

::hmm:: Been in the BS bag for about 30 hrs. now with only a slight reduction in the smell :(. Looks like I'll have to try the charcoal next. I'm beginning to worry that the cologne has so deeply impregnated the FRN it won't ever come out completely. :x

BTW, the smell is so strong that I would consider returning this knife to the seller except that I got it for a really good price and other than the horrible odor it's essentially brand new. Might have to try the leave-in-pants-pocket-in-washing-machine suggestion if the charcoal doesn't do the trick. Although, I'd be concerned about the smell contaminating my washing machine! ::undecided::
~Q~
Samb

Post by Samb »

Wash it at a laundromat.
Lama
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Lama »

I’ll ask my wife to check with her object conservator colleagues who might have another suggestion. She specializes in paintings, but was intrigued by the challenge of making your knife inoffensive.

It sounds as though you did have some small success with the baking soda. Maybe it just needs more time to do its thing? Perhaps letting the bag with the knife in the baking soda sit for a few days in the sun might help, kind of like letting a smelly carpet or a smelly solvent soaked rag air out.
RevolverGuy

Post by RevolverGuy »

I use Hoppes #9 to lubricate and clean my firearms and knives. Use any kind of similar product and do a thorough cleaning. It's great at getting rid of smells as long as you're good with that solvent scent sticking around for a while.
ScoutKnives

Post by ScoutKnives »

A penetrating fluid should mask the smell , I would try submerging it in something like WD40 or Mineral spirits for a day or two .
Always looking for Mint pre war scout knives
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

bestgear wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 11:59 am From Google Q:

Step 1 - Mix 1 cup of warm water with 1 cup of white or apple cider vinegar.

Step 2 - Use a soft cloth to rub the mixture onto the knife. Allow the mixture to dry on the knife.

Step 3 - Wet a soft cloth with warm water and wipe down the knife removing the vinegar.

Step 4 - Use a towel to dry the knife so it doesn't get spots.
I was asking my neighbour who is somewhat of a cleaning wizard what she would suggest, and it was EXACTLY the same as Tom posted above, EXCEPT, after step 3 she suggested putting it in a plastic bag of baking soda still SLIGHTLY damp so the b/s will react with the vinegar. Not wet by any means, just kindda damp. Might be worth a try! ::shrug:: 8)
8)

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”