Knife value listed on EBay?

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
DMLEATH

Knife value listed on EBay?

Post by DMLEATH »

I saw this Case Xx on EBay and it has been bid up to $8,200. Is this the real value or what’s going on?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/204140579745?m ... media=COPY
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Knife value listed on EBay?

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Crazy is all I can say. The knife is definitely worth $8.20. It MIGHT be worth $82.00. And that’s stretching it.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

I'll bet the seller is celebrating.
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
DMLEATH

Post by DMLEATH »

It seems like a joke or something
hardman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by hardman »

Man, I'm sitting on a fortune!!! And I wouldn't even have to part with my best knives.

No one is going to pay anyone $8200 for that knife.
Gary

"Now it cuts like a knife, but it feels so right." Bryan Adams
DMLEATH

Post by DMLEATH »

Someone is going to be disappointed- the buyer if he actually pays that for it and more likely the seller because no one will pay that for a $20 knife- I sold a $15 knife on EBay and at the last 2 people bid it up to $60- I was astounded but right after I got a message from the buyer that they would not pay- I asked why and he said he was a kid playing around on his dads account and I think they thought it would be fun to run a bid up on someone-
Kramersknife

Post by Kramersknife »

as a Ebay seller since 1998 this is bogus or money laundering at best.I saw a plain empty Coke can sell for 500.00 and watched the seller for a while he was selling and getting thousands for ordinary things like broken ashtrays for 250.00, box of pencils for 100.00, old hat 800.00 etc that for sure was laundering this I guess is someone getting even with the seller for something..
DMLEATH

Post by DMLEATH »

Kramersknife wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 2:20 am as a Ebay seller since 1998 this is bogus or money laundering at best.I saw a plain empty Coke can sell for 500.00 and watched the seller for a while he was selling and getting thousands for ordinary things like broken ashtrays for 250.00, box of pencils for 100.00, old hat 800.00 etc that for sure was laundering this I guess is someone getting even with the seller for something..
Yes I had the same suspicion that it could be money laundering- first time I saw something like this on EBay but it is probably more common than I am aware of
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

US $11.15 Standard Shipping.
OUTRAGEOUS!!
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Not much special about the knife. Decent user is about all. I think someone is playing games. Doubt the seller will ever see a dime from this sale.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

A few years ago I sold a Case 1st Issue Midnight Stag Copperlock 61549WL on eBay. The bid was up to $1,500 (one thousand, five hundred dollars!) with just over 24 hrs. remaining on the auction when I received a message from the highest bidder requesting that I cancel his bid because he claimed that he had mistakenly entered $1,500 when he meant to enter $150.00. While that seemed reasonable (hey, it happens), when I cancelled his bids, the second highest bidder ended up winning it for $565.00--still substantially more than it was worth, IMO. Before I could contact him and explain what had happened to drive the price up so high, he just went ahead and paid it without a word. Needless to say, I was very happy but also totally bewildered as to why anyone would pay that much for a relatively run-of-the-mill knife. But pay he did...and he even left positive feedback after receiving the knife. Never even occurred to me that it could be money laundering. It's a crazy world out there. :?
~Q~
C-WADE7
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by C-WADE7 »

The knife in question
Attachments
AD1137B7-AE12-4F48-A606-32210B48EAE7.png
134A8F10-8EE2-41DD-941A-576624F1C9F2.jpeg
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

I clicked-on the bids, and one guy was the only bidder through the entire auction right up until a couple minutes left, and then a different bidder made the last bid, but it was for US$1,000. and the $8,200. was the 2nd last bid not the last, ::shrug:: something very funny going on there! ::hmm:: 8)
8)
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Post by Paladin »

Madmarco wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 8:37 pm I clicked-on the bids, and one guy was the only bidder through the entire auction right up until a couple minutes left, and then a different bidder made the last bid, but it was for US$1,000. and the $8,200. was the 2nd last bid not the last, ::shrug:: something very funny going on there! ::hmm:: 8)
I've been doing eBay for a while and I have never seen a bid list or array like that. I have to wonder if this is the result of a hack. The bidder who bid about 100 times on this knife had never bid on another item. The $8200 bid came in the previous day and the bidder with about 100 bids continued to push the high bidder up until the amount was $8200, then, somehow the high bidder plugs in a bid for $1000 (??). Not a $1000 raise to his bid but a simple bid for $1000.
All this makes no sense to me.
Whatever the bids, that is a lot to pay for a $25 knife.

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Very strange, huh Ray? 8)
8)
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Post by Paladin »

Madmarco wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 5:37 am Very strange, huh Ray? 8)
Yep! Very!

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”