Chinese vegetable chopper

A place to discuss sharp and pointy things from the kitchen.
Shaohao

Chinese vegetable chopper

Post by Shaohao »

Hello,
The matter is simple: I watched some videos, tried a cheap model of a Chinese vegetable chopper and I already know that these are toys for me :D .
Unfortunately, I don't have much cash (a bit of a pity) but still I would like to buy myself something from a higher shelf. I'm mainly concerned about hardness and resistance to dulling. The maximum amount I can spend on this purchase is about $100 +/- 20 %.
Maybe someone has come across something worth recommending and within this amount?
kootenay joe

Re: Chinese vegetable chopper

Post by kootenay joe »

I think you are referring to the wide but thin blade knife you might see a cook using in a Chinese restaurant. The 'writing' on them is in Chinese so really not possible to know who the manufacturer is.
What i do know is that with knives, especially those from 'overseas', there is little connection between price and quality. Spending more money does not necessarily get you a better cutting blade.
If you live in a large city there likely is a 'China Town' area with little shops packed with all kinds of Chinese goods. I would look in these stores for this type of knife. If you find one for a low price like $30 or so do not assume it is 'junk'. It could be a very good knife.
kj
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Welcome to AAPK. Not sure what type of knife you’re wanting so I did an internet search for “Chinese vegetable chopper” and now I’m even more confused. :lol: I can however tell you there are several makers of kitchen cutlery that have time-proven reputations - Henkels, Wusthoff, and Cutco come to mind. I don’t think you’ll go wrong with one of those brands. They have “vegetable knives” of various kinds available in the price range you are seeking (especially if you watch for a “sale” or promotion). You can find them at retail stores specializing in kitchenware, department stores, and on line. https://www.cutco.com/products/product. ... able-knife

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Is this the style of knife you are asking about ?
OAL ~ 12", handle 4 1/4", depth from spine to edge 3 1/4"
The blade is thin. It is not a cleaver. Used to chop vegetables and then scoop them onto the blade flat for transfer into the wok or frying pan.
I used to have a few of them but now only have this one which has been re-sharpened somewhat unevenly. These are inexpensive knives used in pretty well every Chinese restaurant. You could ask a cook in one of these restaurants where he gets his knives from. He might even have a spare to sell you.
kj
Attachments
IMGP0505.JPG
Challenger007

Post by Challenger007 »

kootenay joe wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:53 pm I think you are referring to the wide but thin blade knife you might see a cook using in a Chinese restaurant. The 'writing' on them is in Chinese so really not possible to know who the manufacturer is.
What i do know is that with knives, especially those from 'overseas', there is little connection between price and quality. Spending more money does not necessarily get you a better cutting blade.
If you live in a large city there likely is a 'China Town' area with little shops packed with all kinds of Chinese goods. I would look in these stores for this type of knife. If you find one for a low price like $30 or so do not assume it is 'junk'. It could be a very good knife.
kj
I agree. Very often we overpay for a brand, although some brands do have better materials and workmanship. You need to look, try how it fits in your hand.
Kolvir
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Kolvir »

Chinese cleaver is what you are looking for. I dropped $70 on one about 15 years ago. Will post a photo of it later, love it.

I should add I didn't have a 'China Town' here in Iowa at the time.
stumpstalker

Post by stumpstalker »

Dexter-Russell offers the Chinese chef’s knife. The larger one depicted in the Dexter-Russell catalogue page seen below I bought several years ago.

It is a fierce kitchen utensil. I tested it out, and it worked super, but gifted it to my cousin’s husband. He does all the cooking for his family, and since he had never had the pleasure of using a legitimate chopping knife (he had been doing his best with a butcher knife for such tasks), I gave it to him, and he readily took to it. I was already “trained” on French chef’s knives, so did not mind parting with it.

I agree with Kootenay Joe, it has a very thin blade suited for finesse chopping; I would never classify it as a cleaver.
Attachments
chinese.chefs.kn.edit..jpg
atrixf

Post by atrixf »

What you require is a Chinese cleaver. I purchased one approximately 15 years ago for $70. I adore it and will post a picture of it laterflagle

Return to “In The Kitchen”