Kitchen knife stamps and oddities............

A place to discuss sharp and pointy things from the kitchen.
knife7knut

Kitchen knife stamps and oddities............

Post by knife7knut »

While going through some knife rolls tonight I came across some oddball kitchen knives that I thought to share with fellow members.Some of these names will be familiar and some may not.Hope you enjoy the display and I will try and describe them as best as I can.

First up is a bread knife(with it's original box) by Buffalo Knife Co.The box art looks to be circa 1910-1920.One clue to the age is the handle is stamped,"made of pure aluminum". This was when aluminum was more expensive than gold.
Second is a Camillus bar knife that features a serrated blade with fork tip and guard with a can opener and cap lifter.
Third is a circle C Case slicer.
Fourth and fifth are different Cattaraugus stamps.
Sixth and seventh is a unusually shaped cheese knife by G.M.T.Co. in France.
Last is a Kutmaster paring knife with a concave ground blade and a salesman's sample # inked on the back. Stay tuned for more.
Attachments
BuffaloKnife1.jpg
CamillusCombo1.jpg
CamillusCombo3.jpg
CattaraugusStamp1.jpg
CattaraugusStamp2.jpg
GMTFranceCheese1.jpg
GMTFranceCheese2.jpg
Kutmaster67 1.jpg
Kutmaster67 2.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
knife7knut

Re: Kitchen knife stamps and oddities............

Post by knife7knut »

Moving along here are a few more:

An unmarked lobster fork with ebony handle.I have a set of 6 of these.

A Remington with a bakelite handle and unusual blade etch.

A couple of Russell grapefruit knives;one straight and the other curved.

An unusual Russell knife. Bernard Levine had one of these in his Whuttizit column years ago. Anyone know what it is used for?

The last one is quite unusual.It is a grapefruit knife made in Taiwan but unlike any I have ever seen.The curved side is used to cut the outer edge of the grapefruit wedge and scoop it from the hull. The straight side is actually two blades mounted very close together with the tips touching.The way it is used is the dividing membrane between the fruit is slipped into the gap between the blades and it then cuts both sides at once. I tried it and it works very well.
Attachments
LobsterFork1.jpg
LobsterFork2.jpg
RemingtonKleanBlade1.jpg
RemingtonKleanBlade2.jpg
RussellGrapefruit1.jpg
RussellPoultryKnife1.jpg
TaiwanGrapefruit1.jpg
TaiwanGrapefruit2.jpg
TaiwanGrapefruit3.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

knife7knut wrote:An unusual Russell knife. Bernard Levine had one of these in his Whuttizit column years ago. Anyone know what it is used for?
It is used for pulling pin feathers on chickens and turkeys, I have a bunch of these and used them many times.
AAPK Janitor
trail

Post by trail »

I picked these two knives up on ebay for a song. I'm so glad the seller didn't know what he had, because these knives will be my fortune. As we all know here at AAPK, Shapleigh was the first American knife maker and made both the knives that David Bowie used at the famed Sambar Stag knife fight in 1823. What I have just learned after extensive research is that "Old Hickory" Andrew Johnson gave Bowie the knives after the Battle of New Orleans in appreciation for Bowie's strategic attack on the British right flank, which won the battle. Hence the Old Hickory imprint on the older of the two knives, a rare commemorative issued by Shapleigh in 1843. Ninety-one years later, Shapleigh reissued the knife with the similar etch. It is very rare to find either of these knives and almost unheard of to find a matched set. I intend to put these up on ebay. The bidding will start at $10,000 and there will be a secret reserve of $50,000. I just wanted to let you guys know so you can jump in there and bid.

Sorry, I couldn't help it...Interesting stamps on the blades. Also, I always associated the Old Hickory brand with Ontario, surprising to see it on a Shapleigh knife.
Attachments
shapleigh_kitchen_knives_scaled.jpg
shapleigh_kitchen_tang_scaled.jpg
cls121389

Post by cls121389 »

trail wrote:I picked these two knives up on ebay for a song. I'm so glad the seller didn't know what he had, because these knives will be my fortune. I intend to put these up on ebay. The bidding will start at $10,000 and there will be a secret reserve of $50,000. I just wanted to let you guys know so you can jump in there and bid.
How did the auction go?
muskrat man
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by muskrat man »

trail wrote:
Sorry, I couldn't help it...Interesting stamps on the blades. Also, I always associated the Old Hickory brand with Ontario, surprising to see it on a Shapleigh knife.

They made various contracts. I even have one with John Primble markings.
Custom knives, repair, restoration & embellishment
Certified Hubertus, Taylor, & Schrade repairman past and present
http://www.muskratmanknives.com
https://www.facebook.com/Muskratmanknives

Return to “In The Kitchen”