Show Off Your Kitchen Knives!

A place to discuss sharp and pointy things from the kitchen.
FRJ

Re: Show Off Your Kitchen Knives!

Post by FRJ »

Those are nice knives. ::tu::
Especially for two bucks each. ::woot::
Joe
ekhawman

Post by ekhawman »

I am needing some help with value on these Gerber knives.
Attachments
20170318_204335_HDR.jpg
ekhawman

Post by ekhawman »

Another pic
Attachments
20170318_202747_HDR.jpg
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

That's quite a nice set ::tu::
AAPK Janitor
Cowdiddly

Post by Cowdiddly »

I have all kinds of knives in the kitchen some fancy, professional ect but these are the ones that get used the most in the kitchen around here,

Oh them are just some Old Hickories that you find on evey street corner you say, Au contraire Capitain. The top two are a matching pair of 10" and 12" inch in a hard to find and no longer made Simitar pattern, Breaking knives design that follows the contour of your cutting stroke for less fatigue, or so they say. Tough to find these in this condition without bellies in the blade as they went to work, The next are 8" and 10" inch chef's knife pattern also no longer made. Mushrooms, bell peppers and onions tremble at the mere sight of them. Handy handy.
All of them except the large breaker are stamped Shapleigh Hammer Forged 1843. Some are stamped 1843-1934. I doubt if that means they were made then. Its probably when Shapleigh's Hardware started and sold to Ontario Knife, the current makers. These were the old famous Keen Cutter and Diamond edge knife and tool guys. They used to be the largest hardware in the U.S. W of the Mississippi selling guns, knives, woodwork and farm tools ect. Not sure when that hardware went out of business but I just though I would put together a set of like kinds, ALL have 1095 steel, not the hardest stuff in the world but will get as sharp or sharper than the best tool steels around, scary edged or what 1095 is most famous for, And it don't take half the day to tune one up which is nice for daily use.

All of them will slice ham so thin your In-Laws will never come back. ::woot::

The steak knives are a set of Laguiole's made in France with olive wood handles. We bought these things 20 years ago and still look and work like the day they were made and they get used constantly. Can't be beat for the price.

And the last 3 I had to include because they are the reigning KIngs as far as getting used the most in our kitchen, My danged old common Rapala/Martinii Finland fillet knives, Noting fancy, just the handiest dang things in the kitchen that every one a;ways reaches for, I finally gave up and donated them to the cause and got me another set for my fish duties.

These are my knives that get used the most in the kitchen,
Attachments
DSCF0312.JPG
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Cowdiddly, a very nice and interesting collection. Thanks for sharing them.
Mossdancer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mossdancer »

A recent find for the kitchen. Have been wondering where this designer got off to.
moss
Sorry about the close up I got a bad shadow from my lights. This thing is scary sharp. He must have brought that with him from Kershaw.
Attachments
http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/knife_forum/download/file.php?mode=view&id=285428
http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/knife_forum/download/file.php?mode=view&id=285428
http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/knife_forum/download/file.php?mode=view&id=285429
http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/knife_forum/download/file.php?mode=view&id=285429
http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/knife_forum/download/file.php?mode=view&id=285430
http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/knife_forum/download/file.php?mode=view&id=285430
I STAND FOR OUR NATIONAL ANTHEM
Cowdiddly

Post by Cowdiddly »

Got a couple more Old Hicks this morning with the Shapleigh's stamps that match my others, Two I did not have yet and in unbelievable like new condition. I don't think they had been sharpened until now. A 7" butcher and a 5 1/4 slicer.
Now if I could find a good 10 or 12 bull nose in nice shape I think I will have them all. Not sure though. I don't know what they actually made style wise then.
The older I get the better I like these cheap old good uns. I think maybe the old grand pappies were on to something. I'm having more fun looking at flea markets and playing around in the kitchen knife piles than looking for my missing pocketknives at the moment.
I heard the the newest ones don't have the Old Hickory stamps on the handle any more or blade stamps, just etching. You have got to be kidding me. executive decision I am sure. And, Ontario is now making a few of their knives International now. Why do I get the feeling that another old iconic brand that was probably in almost everyones drawer hidden somewhere in the back is fixing go to the dogs? Sad really watching this all the time to Boker, Puma, Buck Shrade, Chicago Cutlery, and many many others. I would rather have an 10 dollar cheapo made here than a 200 dollar White Hunter made in Bangladesh. But I'm funny like that.
I think this might be the reason for the resurgence in interest of the3 old stuff and why a lot of millenials seem to be interested in the older stuff more and more. You just don't know what you can trust brand wise anymore. You just have to buy it and see and hope. Here you know what you got. A 10 dollar tough little knife that will get beaucoup sharp and outlast you.
Attachments
DSCF0315.JPG
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Very nice knives, Cowdiddly.
I had no idea there was a Old Hickory/Shapleigh connection.
I posted most of my kitchen knives on page 1.
Joe
Cowdiddly

Post by Cowdiddly »

FRJ that has to be the penultimate collection of kitchen knives I have seen anywhere,

Give me some ideas on old ones with good steel to look for. I noticed a lot of Sabatior, Are they any good steel wise? I have see a few around but the blades on the ones I looked at were kinda twisted a little or kinked, plus I know nothing about them.
I also seen you mention 498 Dexters as good steel. Is this a carbon or SS.
Mind if I pick your mind as you are the hands down experienced expert on kitchen stuff as I see it. ::tu:: Im probably walking over the good uns. ::shrug::
I only know butcher knives from butchering game and farm animals on a ranch. ie. Wilson, Dick, LFC, Foster and Nichol bros ect. And, the only reason I know them is by competing in meat smoking and BBQ events and looking at stuff other guys have.
I have been extremely lucky in life and had some of THE BEST southern cooks in existence from my Grandmothers, Mom and Wife keeping me feed through life in some kind of grand style. All of them could flat rattle them pans. I'm talking multi course layouts 2-3 times a day. I guess I never looked except what I see at brisket cookoffs which is the extent of my knowledge. But I;m really just getting into it more as I get older.
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Cowdiddly, nice of you to assume my expertise in kitchen cutlery, but I'm afraid it just aint so.
I would offer some suggestions though, just from my limited experience.
I like to/have to cook. To do that you need good knives for certain tasks, in my view. I like old knives. Chef knives and other patterns that were used years ago. Traditional knives. The old French chef knife patterns were something I came to like.
I don't know anything about steel, but quality makers had to be doing something right. So the old Dexters (Southbridge, Mass.) with the flared bolster at the heel of the blade and the earlier French Sabatier and those even earlier with the Nogent handle got my attention.
Although I have a few stainless steel knives I really prefer Carbon steel all the way.
It sounds like you have good exposure to various kinds of knives. They are a great study with lots of information available.
You just have to figure out what you prefer.
Also, having good cooks in your family is a real plus. I'm sure they could be a big help to you.
I spent some time in Kansas many years ago. You couldn't starve down there with those fine folks and their big spreads each day.
I was amazed at their tables.
Joe
Cowdiddly

Post by Cowdiddly »

What have I been up to for the past 3 weeks?
Why a full boat restoration on a complete set of Forgecraft Hi-Carbons. Man that's a tough set to complete in nice condition reasonable. Well It will set you back a good bit more than a Paula Dean set anyhoo and for good reason.
For those not familiar, this company started out in the 20s I believe, making knives from band saw blades reclaimed from lumber mills which would be L-6 or L- 7 steel. They shut down during WWII due to lack of scrap steel blades as the gov't needed it all. They restarted after WWIi and lasted until the early sixties when they sold out to Washington Forge who promptly moved production to Japan, cheaped up the knives and basically destroyed the brand in only a few years. Retired the brand in 1968.
Dandy little Kitchen knives if I do say so myself, kinda wish they were for me.. I refurbished this set for friend who is a professional chef. She claims there is good demand for all vintage carbon type knives. I guess the Japanese forgers and Bob Kramer are having an affect. She was oogling my Ole Hick breaking knives last time she was here. I told her no way, waaaaay to hard to come by. But as luck would have it. I found another one for her that needed a new handle and rivets and some sanding and dent removal and a nice vinegar etch on the forging lands.
All knives handles were trued, edges softened and have 12 coats of hand rubbed oil, reblued forge marks, general mill marks. grinder divots. rust stains and pits removed. Restored back to better than like new condition and ready for my chef friend to put to work. Enjoy ::tu::
Attachments
DSCF0317.JPG
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Just picked up this carving set at a local antique shop today. American Cutlery Co.(1879-1923)knife;fork;and steel.Beautiful crown stag(couple small cracks repaired with super glue)with silver plated ferrules and butt caps.$12 for the set.
Attachments
AmericanCutleryCo.CarvingSet-12 001.jpg
AmericanCutleryCo.CarvingSet-12 002.jpg
AmericanCutleryCo.CarvingSet-12 003.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Very nice looking set, Ray. Old timey stuff. ::tu::

Cowdiddly, what a great job you did on those kitchen knives. That is really skilled work.
Your friend will treasure those. ::nod::
Joe
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Here's my latest kitchen knife find.

Meriden Cutlery in its original lined box!

Has been lightly used the stag is nice, very happy with this set :)
Attachments
IMG_20181107_193546.jpg
IMG_20181107_193618.jpg
IMG_20181107_193633.jpg
AAPK Janitor
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

That's a nice set of kitchen cutlery, Dimitri, and a very nice box too. All of it looks like it is in good condition.
Joe
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Thanks Joe!

It's in very good condition and I plan on using it to carve the Thanksgiving turkey! :D
AAPK Janitor
mrwatch

Post by mrwatch »

Cowdiddly, how did you re-blue the knife blades? I knew a man the re-blued gun parts in the kitchen oven. with burnt fingers to prove it. I see lot's of Chicago Cutlery cheap in thrift stores and garage sales. Set's at places like Meijers stores around $30. Don't hold a edge?
Last Friday's find at a friends open estate sale left overs. $4.00 for all. :mrgreen: thank you. I should say that I do not see the letter K on them, but the online picture of the knife is a match. May have been worn off and rest is still visible.

K Sabatier Ham Knife 12 in
Description Features
The whole knife is forged in a single mass of stainless steel. The steel Z50C13, Rockwell 54-56 HRC, is tempered, ground and polished crosswise to produce a high-quality tool, great cutting power, cutting hardness and balance. POM handles are manually set and mounted on the tang using three through rivets. From forging to packaging, we garantee that all our operations are performed in the Thiers region in FRANCE by skilled workers to ensure a professional quality craft finish.

K Sabatier knife steel. stamped lettering.
VINTAGE KNIFE SHARPENING STEEL SABATIER PROFESSIONAL FRANCE
IN FRANCE SHARPENING STEEL IT IS 17 INCHES LONG
SABATIER PROFESSIONAL MADE

K Sabatier meat cleaver. with edge dings to be honed out.

Meat cleaver. still in good shape.
National products Company.
Dayton, Ohio USA
Guaranteed stainless steel. Pat. Nov.23-15
7" 12" O/L
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

After scoring CUTCO knives at estate sales the past few years I started to keep some for ourselves!
We probably have close to a full set but here's what is at our fingertips!
Attachments
IMG_0739.JPG
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
mrwatch

Post by mrwatch »

as per my post of $4 group.
Attachments
Sabatier ham knife and steel.
Sabatier ham knife and steel.
Sabatier cleaver
Sabatier cleaver
Montanaman

Post by Montanaman »

The kitchen is where my knives do the most work, cooking every meal at home. These two are the work horses along with a Zulu from Tony Bose. Also use a Victorinox 14" slicer and a Zwilling Kramer paring in 52100. For splitting hogs I have a cleaver in CPM 3V with a delta heat treat. Jon Christensen is just finishing up two santoku's for my wife and I. Hand forged, integral W2 with clayless hamon, toxic green liners on both, one with bog oak and the other in black micarta. The W2 is round stock that I obtained through Don Hanson III, this paticular W2 performs very well, hardended to RC 61-62. I helped pound them out on the power hammer, always fun.

Chefs knife by Randy Haas(HHH Knives) with Bjorkman twist Damasteel(RWL34 &PMC27) with twist carbon damascus bolsters, redwood burl handles with copper liners; ABS Master Smith Jon Christensen santoku, Jon's mosaic leaf damascus with blackwood and CA buckeye burl handles. Jon's kitchen knife design comes with the help of Bob Kramer.
aapkkitchen.jpg
Montanaman

Post by Montanaman »

One of our most used, made by Phil Dobson in M390 that has been heat treated by Peters to RC 61. Olive, Blackwood and Sakamr mokume gane. M390 is quite impressive.
aapkDS.jpg
aapkDS2.jpg
Montanaman

Post by Montanaman »

Just received this morning from ABS Master Smith, Jon Christensen. Clayless hamon on Don Hanson III W2, 4500 year bog oak and toxic green liners
aapkMSkitchen.jpg
Montanaman

Post by Montanaman »

Tony Bose Zulu, handled by Rick Menefee. It gets used and abused daily.
aapkTBzulu.jpg
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

Montanaman wrote:The kitchen is where my knives do the most work, cooking every meal at home. These two are the work horses along with a Zulu from Tony Bose. Also use a Victorinox 14" slicer and a Zwilling Kramer paring in 52100. For splitting hogs I have a cleaver in CPM 3V with a delta heat treat. Jon Christensen is just finishing up two santoku's for my wife and I. Hand forged, integral W2 with clayless hamon, toxic green liners on both, one with bog oak and the other in black micarta. The W2 is round stock that I obtained through Don Hanson III, this paticular W2 performs very well, hardended to RC 61-62. I helped pound them out on the power hammer, always fun.

Chefs knife by Randy Haas(HHH Knives) with Bjorkman twist Damasteel(RWL34 &PMC27) with twist carbon damascus bolsters, redwood burl handles with copper liners; ABS Master Smith Jon Christensen santoku, Jon's mosaic leaf damascus with blackwood and CA buckeye burl handles. Jon's kitchen knife design comes with the help of Bob Kramer.

aapkkitchen.jpg
Kris... your kitchen is really well equipped! Nice knives!!!
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018

Return to “In The Kitchen”