Show Off Your Kitchen Knives!

A place to discuss sharp and pointy things from the kitchen.
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Show Off Your Kitchen Knives!

Post by glennbad »

I've done a few of these blade blanks from Jantz. Their VG-10 blanks are pretty nice quality, this santoku blank runs over $100. I finished it with black micarta and ironwood.
santoku.jpg

I just picked up this smaller blank to work on for the wife.
small santoku.jpg
Stanwade

Post by Stanwade »

Sweet pick you guys!👍👍 Another EC Simmons Keen Kutter to add to my collection..
Attachments
IMG_20200716_145726774.jpg
Screenshot_20200717-115542.png
Ryan

“That’ll be the day”—-John Wayne
Stanwade

Post by Stanwade »

glennbad wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:22 am I've done a few of these blade blanks from Jantz. Their VG-10 blanks are pretty nice quality, this santoku blank runs over $100. I finished it with black micarta and ironwood.

santoku.jpg

I just picked up this smaller blank to work on for the wife.

small santoku.jpg

Good work Glenn! 👍 Looks awesome!
Ryan

knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

My latest Remington find:a carving set and an extra knife thrown in. Handles are faux stag(some kind of black ugly material)but there is just a hint of someone sharpening the blade(thankfully not with a power tool)and for three bucks I ain't complaining!
Attachments
RemingtonDuPontCarvingSet$3 002.jpg
RemingtonDuPontCarvingSet$3 005.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
Stanwade

Post by Stanwade »

Knife7knut--awesome set!! I Just received this in the mail yesterday. Shapleigh's Keen Kutrer carving set.. very reasonable price too!! I love it...
Attachments
IMG_20200723_170828154.jpg
IMG_20200723_170818022.jpg
Ryan

michaelspayth

Post by michaelspayth »

Gotta love vintage kitchen stuff.
Attachments
20180702_210428.jpg
Streamline
Streamline
20200202_160434.jpg
20200822_161325.jpeg
20190919_190308.jpg
Stanwade

Post by Stanwade »

Really cool kitchen knives/items 👍
Ryan

Montanaman

Post by Montanaman »

Tony Bose paring Zulu, handled by Rick Menefee. Used every day for 5 years, dosen't get more "honest" or "hard working" than that.
aapkBoseMenefee.jpg
Montanaman

Post by Montanaman »

After a year of everyday use, our nakiri looks as good as the day we received it. The ZFinite is an exceptional steel. Edge kept up on a 9k japanese stone.
aapknakiri1y.jpg
Stanwade

Post by Stanwade »

Sweet Kris!👍
Ryan

Montanaman

Post by Montanaman »

Stanwade wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:27 pm Sweet Kris!👍
Thanks Ryan, it is a real pleasure to use!
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

knife7knut wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:38 am My latest Remington find:a carving set and an extra knife thrown in. Handles are faux stag(some kind of black ugly material)but there is just a hint of someone sharpening the blade(thankfully not with a power tool)and for three bucks I ain't complaining!
Nice set!

How well do those frozen food knives actually work? I've been meaning to pick one up.
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

cody6268 wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:15 pm
knife7knut wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:38 am My latest Remington find:a carving set and an extra knife thrown in. Handles are faux stag(some kind of black ugly material)but there is just a hint of someone sharpening the blade(thankfully not with a power tool)and for three bucks I ain't complaining!
Nice set!

How well do those frozen food knives actually work? I've been meaning to pick one up.
Tried using it on a chunk of frozen meat about 3 inches by 5 inches and finally got through it after about 10 minutes.Should have used a saw.
thankgod4rkids

Post by thankgod4rkids »

Scored on the local Facebook swap. 5 piece Old Hickory set in the box for $15. Ruined my credibility telling my wife she needs to quit buying stuff in there though :D
Bill
Attachments
20210223_172941.jpg
Ridgegrass

Post by Ridgegrass »

Couple of very useful knives.
1).Washington Cutlery Co, "VILLAGE BLACKSMITH" #711,(14" overall 1898-1940). Bought it for 25 cents at a church sale. Very high quality razor sharp.
2).GEORGE COWAN, Sheffield, (1800's)?. Original stag handle re-purposed for a custom hunting knife. Blade reground to thinner profile for filleting whatever we catch in the Atlantic. It'll flex 45 degrees for filleting. Homemade handle. ("Squid Lips" is our boat's name.) J.O'.
Attachments
IMG_2428.jpg
IMG_2429.jpg
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Ridgegrass wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:52 pm Couple of very useful knives.
1).Washington Cutlery Co, "VILLAGE BLACKSMITH" #711,(14" overall 1898-1940). Bought it for 25 cents at a church sale. Very high quality razor sharp.
2).GEORGE COWAN, Sheffield, (1800's)?. Original stag handle re-purposed for a custom hunting knife. Blade reground to thinner profile for filleting whatever we catch in the Atlantic. It'll flex 45 degrees for filleting. Homemade handle. ("Squid Lips" is our boat's name.) J.O'.
Nice knives and I love the boat name! ::tu::
A very good friend of mine who goes by the name,"Captain Guido" and runs a DUK Tour vehicle out of Boston has a great name for his boat: the, "SEA CILIAN" :mrgreen:
Ridgegrass

Post by Ridgegrass »

K7K: Thanks, Boats and bands are hard to name. There was one here in Ocean City called "The Job Site". He never lied when he answered the phone! :D
My son did the graphics. J.O'.
Attachments
20161004_073923.JPG
mrwatch

Post by mrwatch »

knife7knut wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:38 pm
Ridgegrass wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:52 pm Couple of very useful knives.
Nice knives and I love the boat name! ::tu::
A very good friend of mine who goes by the name,"Captain Guido" and runs a DUK Tour vehicle out of Boston has a great name for his boat: the, "SEA CILIAN" :mrgreen:
If you mean the Army DUK that went down in Missouri, the one in Saugatuck, Mi. is all done. I don't recall if the Feds stopped them or just liability wise. They made them were I used to live.
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

mrwatch wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:37 am
If you mean the Army DUK that went down in Missouri, the one in Saugatuck, Mi. is all done. I don't recall if the Feds stopped them or just liability wise. They made them were I used to live.
No;this one is run in Boston Massachusetts.I believe it is only run in the Charles River which divides the city of Boston and the city of Cambridge.As far as I know they are still in business.
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Ridgegrass wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:31 am K7K: Thanks, Boats and bands are hard to name. There was one here in Ocean City called "The Job Site". He never lied when he answered the phone! :D
My son did the graphics. J.O'.
Love the squid! Your son is very good! One of the best I've ever seen and it took awhile to de-code it. "THISLEDU"
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Found this one today at a friend's re-sale shop for two bucks. Etched,"KAI-CUT Edges ahead R92-14. I'm assuming it is Kai Cutlery(a Kershaw brand)and the blade is indeed 14 inches long! A little cleaning and a run across my Carborundum Duo-Stone and it's ready to cut(trees maybe?)
Attachments
KAI-CUT R92-14 $2 001.jpg
KAI-CUT R92-14 $2 002.jpg
KAI-CUT R92-14 $2 003.jpg
Montanaman

Post by Montanaman »

After 2 years of daily use, I just Simichromed the blade to highlight the clayless hamon, ABS Master Smith Jon Christensen, Don Hanson III W2 steel, 4500 year old bog oak handles with toxic green liners
aapkchef2year.jpg
Challenger007

Post by Challenger007 »

I prefer Japanese steel knives. It is the most resistant to wear and tear. Of course, if the knife is not a fake. I liked the Yoshihiro brand the most. The knives are not cheap, but the quality is super. I sharpen it about once a year, and then I just straighten the edge. Here are the characteristics of one of the knives of the Yoshihiro company, for review.
Montanaman

Post by Montanaman »

Challenger007 wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:12 am I prefer Japanese steel knives. It is the most resistant to wear and tear. Of course, if the knife is not a fake. I liked the Yoshihiro brand the most. The knives are not cheap, but the quality is super. I sharpen it about once a year, and then I just straighten the edge. Here are the characteristics of one of the knives of the Yoshihiro company, for review.
If you prefer them, you must own some? Post some pics and show us how they are the most resistant to wear and tear!
GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

Montanaman wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:11 pm After 2 years of daily use, I just Simichromed the blade to highlight the clayless hamon, ABS Master Smith Jon Christensen, Don Hanson III W2 steel, 4500 year old bog oak handles with toxic green liners

aapkchef2year.jpg
Wow! ::nod:: That is Beautiful! A have the standard Messermeister and Wüsthof Knives and they a pretty good knives but that blade is a work of art!!! ::tu::
Please visit my AAPK store: https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ca ... er_id=2383

They say, “Hard work never hurt anyone”, but I'm still not willing to risk it.

Return to “In The Kitchen”