Show Off Your Kitchen Knives!

A place to discuss sharp and pointy things from the kitchen.
FRJ

Re: Show Off Your Kitchen Knives!

Post by FRJ »

That's a nice set of kitchen cutlery, Dimitri, and a very nice box too. All of it looks like it is in good condition.
Joe
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Thanks Joe!

It's in very good condition and I plan on using it to carve the Thanksgiving turkey! :D
AAPK Janitor
mrwatch

Post by mrwatch »

Cowdiddly, how did you re-blue the knife blades? I knew a man the re-blued gun parts in the kitchen oven. with burnt fingers to prove it. I see lot's of Chicago Cutlery cheap in thrift stores and garage sales. Set's at places like Meijers stores around $30. Don't hold a edge?
Last Friday's find at a friends open estate sale left overs. $4.00 for all. :mrgreen: thank you. I should say that I do not see the letter K on them, but the online picture of the knife is a match. May have been worn off and rest is still visible.

K Sabatier Ham Knife 12 in
Description Features
The whole knife is forged in a single mass of stainless steel. The steel Z50C13, Rockwell 54-56 HRC, is tempered, ground and polished crosswise to produce a high-quality tool, great cutting power, cutting hardness and balance. POM handles are manually set and mounted on the tang using three through rivets. From forging to packaging, we garantee that all our operations are performed in the Thiers region in FRANCE by skilled workers to ensure a professional quality craft finish.

K Sabatier knife steel. stamped lettering.
VINTAGE KNIFE SHARPENING STEEL SABATIER PROFESSIONAL FRANCE
IN FRANCE SHARPENING STEEL IT IS 17 INCHES LONG
SABATIER PROFESSIONAL MADE

K Sabatier meat cleaver. with edge dings to be honed out.

Meat cleaver. still in good shape.
National products Company.
Dayton, Ohio USA
Guaranteed stainless steel. Pat. Nov.23-15
7" 12" O/L
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

After scoring CUTCO knives at estate sales the past few years I started to keep some for ourselves!
We probably have close to a full set but here's what is at our fingertips!
Attachments
IMG_0739.JPG
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
mrwatch

Post by mrwatch »

as per my post of $4 group.
Attachments
Sabatier ham knife and steel.
Sabatier ham knife and steel.
Sabatier cleaver
Sabatier cleaver
Montanaman

Post by Montanaman »

The kitchen is where my knives do the most work, cooking every meal at home. These two are the work horses along with a Zulu from Tony Bose. Also use a Victorinox 14" slicer and a Zwilling Kramer paring in 52100. For splitting hogs I have a cleaver in CPM 3V with a delta heat treat. Jon Christensen is just finishing up two santoku's for my wife and I. Hand forged, integral W2 with clayless hamon, toxic green liners on both, one with bog oak and the other in black micarta. The W2 is round stock that I obtained through Don Hanson III, this paticular W2 performs very well, hardended to RC 61-62. I helped pound them out on the power hammer, always fun.

Chefs knife by Randy Haas(HHH Knives) with Bjorkman twist Damasteel(RWL34 &PMC27) with twist carbon damascus bolsters, redwood burl handles with copper liners; ABS Master Smith Jon Christensen santoku, Jon's mosaic leaf damascus with blackwood and CA buckeye burl handles. Jon's kitchen knife design comes with the help of Bob Kramer.
aapkkitchen.jpg
Montanaman

Post by Montanaman »

One of our most used, made by Phil Dobson in M390 that has been heat treated by Peters to RC 61. Olive, Blackwood and Sakamr mokume gane. M390 is quite impressive.
aapkDS.jpg
aapkDS2.jpg
Montanaman

Post by Montanaman »

Just received this morning from ABS Master Smith, Jon Christensen. Clayless hamon on Don Hanson III W2, 4500 year bog oak and toxic green liners
aapkMSkitchen.jpg
Montanaman

Post by Montanaman »

Tony Bose Zulu, handled by Rick Menefee. It gets used and abused daily.
aapkTBzulu.jpg
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

Montanaman wrote:The kitchen is where my knives do the most work, cooking every meal at home. These two are the work horses along with a Zulu from Tony Bose. Also use a Victorinox 14" slicer and a Zwilling Kramer paring in 52100. For splitting hogs I have a cleaver in CPM 3V with a delta heat treat. Jon Christensen is just finishing up two santoku's for my wife and I. Hand forged, integral W2 with clayless hamon, toxic green liners on both, one with bog oak and the other in black micarta. The W2 is round stock that I obtained through Don Hanson III, this paticular W2 performs very well, hardended to RC 61-62. I helped pound them out on the power hammer, always fun.

Chefs knife by Randy Haas(HHH Knives) with Bjorkman twist Damasteel(RWL34 &PMC27) with twist carbon damascus bolsters, redwood burl handles with copper liners; ABS Master Smith Jon Christensen santoku, Jon's mosaic leaf damascus with blackwood and CA buckeye burl handles. Jon's kitchen knife design comes with the help of Bob Kramer.

aapkkitchen.jpg
Kris... your kitchen is really well equipped! Nice knives!!!
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
Montanaman

Post by Montanaman »

Doc B wrote:Kris... your kitchen is really well equipped! Nice knives!!!
Thank you! we already have a patina on the W2, the clayless hamon is very beautiful, hard to capture in a pic. I also go through many inexpensive(10$-15$) boning knives for breaking down primals.
wlf

Post by wlf »

What a kitchen Kris. I’ve asked J Lloyd to make me a big kitchen knife. He’s not too interested, and told me that was Rick M’s line.

I’m lousy at sharpening for some reason, I need a fail safe method and some great steel.
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
Montanaman

Post by Montanaman »

wlf wrote:What a kitchen Kris. I’ve asked J Lloyd to make me a big kitchen knife. He’s not too interested, and told me that was Rick M’s line.

I’m lousy at sharpening for some reason, I need a fail safe method and some great steel.

Thanks Lyle, I can understand John not wanting to make one, if he hasn't before, lots of design in a kitchen knife. He makes a killer slip joint though! If you need any direction, I would be more than happy to help.
Montanaman

Post by Montanaman »

After 2 months of daily use, the forged W2 is awesome! Just put it on a 9K stone, hones to a very fine edge.
aapkJCMS519.jpg
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

That's really nice, Kris. How long is the blade? What is the blade thickness? Does it get thinner at the tip?
Does the tang taper in the handle? :)
Joe
Montanaman

Post by Montanaman »

FRJ wrote:That's really nice, Kris. How long is the blade? What is the blade thickness? Does it get thinner at the tip?
Does the tang taper in the handle? :)
Thanks, it has about 8 inches of cutting with 12.5 overall. Not sure of thickness, calipers are in the shop, but it is thin for sure, we wanted a real slicer. It does have a distal taper to the tip, with a slight taper in the tang to keep the weight balance right at the heel. The clayless hamon is true Master Smith beauty, creating a differential heat treat with the edge at 61 RC.
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Thank you, Kris.
It sure is a beautiful knife as are many others you have shown.
I always enjoy looking at them.
Joe
Montanaman

Post by Montanaman »

Thanks FRJ, much appreciated. Here is a cleaver my friend made for me, over 1/4 in thick CPM 3V, heat treated by Peter's using a Delta heat treat at 61RC. This thing is a monster and super abrasion resistant. Distal taper with a slight taper in the tang.
aapkcleaver.jpg
aapkcleaver2.jpg
Hak1911

Post by Hak1911 »

I’ll play...
A few of the “Family”
Attachments
3AE747CD-AB00-418C-BAD2-EDC0B536F630.jpeg
BBAD4F01-0C24-4466-9558-000AC5542004.jpeg
Looking for a user Schrade CutCo 8813 ......
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Nice group of knives, Hak1911. ::nod::
Joe
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Great looking kitchenware, your wives should be happy!
*joking! ::super_happy::

Surprised I haven't posted these Anton Wingen sets I've had, probably for close to 10 years. May have picked them up on eBay back then. One set has poultry shears that are gorgeous tools. The end cap is missing on one carving knife, both have been used. One knife has deer/elk etching. Great looking stag handles all around. Just might need to break out a set since the holidays are just around the corner.

My cat, Ireland, was helping out/modeling.
Attachments
IMG_20191109_195851437.jpg
IMG_20191109_200428600.jpg
IMG_20191109_200312381~2.jpg
IMG_20191109_200055824~2.jpg
IMG_20191109_200129254~2.jpg
IMG_20191109_195914629.jpg
IMG_20191109_195937781.jpg
IMG_20191109_195921390.jpg
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Nice kitchen tools Redrider. ::tu::

I have poultry shears similar to those.
Joe
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

FRJ wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:05 am Nice kitchen tools Redrider. ::tu::

I have poultry shears similar to those.
Interesting how they made the springs on these.

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Waukonda
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Waukonda »

That is a great looking set, John. Ireland seems to be ready for you to put it to use.
Ike
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Waukonda wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:10 pm That is a great looking set, John. Ireland seems to be ready for you to put it to use.
Ha! She would prefer a can of fish (sardines, oysters, etc). When I open a can, my cats are there with their mouths watering. :lol:

Return to “In The Kitchen”