Custom Knife block

A place to discuss sharp and pointy things from the kitchen.
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Custom Knife block

Post by btrwtr »

Over the years I accumulated a number of kitchen cutlery pieces that I liked to use. The problem with the accumulation was that there was no knife block that would accommodate all the pieces I liked and I was tired of storing some in a small block and some in kitchen drawers.

About 15 years ago I had had enough and decided to build a knife block that would hold all the pieces I had and keep them safe and ready to use.

I built this custom block piece by piece and made a slot for each item I liked. I started with 3 sides then cut and inserted the appropriate wood spacers until I had compartments for all the pieces. Then I attached the forth side and cut a 45 degree piece from the bottom that would act as the bevel block to keep the knives at an angle in the block. I used poplar wood because I didn't want to spend a fortune on the project and I had some pieces left over from some entertainment stands I had built. I really didn't have much if any plan going into this and it was kind of like building a jig saw puzzle from scratch.

Pieces in the block are F. Dick, Case, Russell, Chicago Cutlery, Victorinox, etc.

It's all held together with wood glue, wood dowels and finish nails. It's served us well and has held up for at least 15 years now. I think it may outlast me.

Wayne
Attachments
IMG_0313.JPG
IMG_0312.JPG
IMG_0314.JPG
IMG_0311.JPG
IMG_0308.JPG
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
Jdub

Re: Custom Knife block

Post by Jdub »

That is awesome,you sure have a talent.
cbfd

Post by cbfd »

Good idea,Wayne.I like it,nice work! Bill
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Wayne, that's a good job, handy and attractive. There's a lot of satisfaction in turning out something useful like that.

About the same time you were getting the itch, so was I. I had a stack of walnut that came off my buddy's five acres and it was all very clear so that was the choice. Mine is much more simple but it works like a champ. The wooden skewers came from a party store. I put it together with biscuits and glue. I finished it with Butcher Block Oil. If it starts looking dry, I just wipe it down with the oil. It really makes that walnut pop.
Attachments
Knife Block 1.JPG
Knife Block 3.JPG
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Jerry, Good idea with the skewers. I've never seen that before but I'm sure that does a good job protecting the blades. Like the walnut too. ::tu::

Wayne

Wayne

Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Wayne, what is that stamp on the front ?
AAPK Janitor
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Miller Bro`s wrote:Wayne, what is that stamp on the front ?
I used the stamp for my leather work to mark a wood tag I glued to the block. It says "Robertson Handmade" just like the knives I make. The stamp in the wood is legible but it didn't work as well as I had hoped.

Wayne

Wayne

jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Thanks Wayne. The concept is not original. I stole it from someone on the Internet.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012

Return to “In The Kitchen”