Maxam knives

A place to discuss sharp and pointy things from the kitchen.
mrwatch

Maxam knives

Post by mrwatch »

I like to shop thrift stores and see a lot of the Maxam made in Japan kitchen and butcher knives. Any comments on their quality! Usually under $2.00 or so.
Thanks, Bob
SteelMyHeart85420

Re: Maxam knives

Post by SteelMyHeart85420 »

I wouldn't expect too much for $2, then again, it's $2, buy one (or more) and do a review for us
Berryb

Post by Berryb »

these are my 2 Maxam knives. The folder I've had for a least 30 years. Carried it alot hunting for a few years. It's cut up 3 or 4 deer and done lots of other stuff as well. It's been wet several times, but held up pretty well. I never carried the other one but used it to butcher several deer, holds an edge, no problems. I got it at a yard sale for a couple bucks. I've never used one of their kitchen knives, but based on my experience with these I wouldn't hesitate to try one.
Bruce
Attachments
DSC_0001.JPG
mrwatch

Post by mrwatch »

Thanks guy's and that Maxam fixed blade looks nice. That is one reason for asking about them. The thrift store have popped up in my area like gas stations. Kitchen knives no matter what type or brand goes for .50 cents to $2.00. They seem to be overwhelmed by all the stuff the get. So would any of them work for cutting down into a fixed blade knife based on the quality of steel? I remember in the mid 1960's when salesmen went door to door selling cutlery sets. They pulled out a penny and cut it in half with the scissors and had cheap payment plans. ladies like my EX. must have gone gaga. Does anybody know what brand name that was?

Here is last weeks trip to town. Wife need a flu shot and have lunch at Arby's. The Robeson looked like it was sharped on a bench grinder. just barely so I have it pretty well re-sharped.
126 Re-curved kitchen fillet or boning knife, wood handle, unmarked. .50
127 Imperial ware VANADIUM / STAINLESS slicing 7 ½ in. 122 ¼ long $1.00
128 J. A. HENCKELS Santoku 5 inch 31428-141 .25
131 CASE-XX-stainless P 251-8” SE butcher knife $1.00
132 ROBESON SHUR-EDGE Frozen Heat butcher knife .50
133 STANLEY HOME PRODUCTS S.S. spatula .10
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

Your doing great!
Keep Near the Cross.

Return to “In The Kitchen”