Japanese Chef Knives.

A place to discuss sharp and pointy things from the kitchen.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Japanese Chef Knives.

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Posting some of my favorite Japanese chefs knives. Only have one taken right now. This is a Damascus made w/ stainless, nickle, copper, cobalt, brass and other materials. The handle the scabbard are hand painted. It’s razor sharp. I believe it was crafted by Master Itou. It’s beautiful. Never used it. It’s simply too nice and too expensive. I do have others that I use.
Anyone else collect Japenese chefs knives? Or use them? Love my Japenese chef knives.
Mark
Attachments
IMG_3687.jpeg
IMG_3689.jpeg
IMG_3689.jpeg
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Re: Japanese Chef Knives.

Post by Dinadan »

That is a very nice knife, SSK. I admire them but I do not have any Japanese kitchen knives because, as you noted, they do tend to be expensive. Also, any knife I use in my kitchen has to be able to go through the dishwasher. Mostly I stick to Henckels and Wusthofs in the kitchen. All stainless!
Mel
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Here are some more of my Japanese chef knives. The first one is my favorite of all the knives I have, Black Micarta and 300 layer Damascus. I have never sharpened it and it can still cuts hair on your arm. Two are Henckels Myobi w/ Micarta handles and mosaic pens. I made a mistake when I bought these. I was at Smokey Mountain Knife Works and these were half price. I should have bought everyone of these they had.
The last two are stainless Damascus and dark wooden handles. All razor sharp.
Thanks for looking.
Mark
Attachments
IMG_3958.jpeg
IMG_3959.jpeg
IMG_3960.jpeg
IMG_3967.jpeg
IMG_3962.jpeg
IMG_3964.jpeg
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

I have not yet met a knife that didn't need some level of sharpening on a regular basis, but I do have a Japanese santuko that I use all the time (several years and most days) and like. A Misono.
IMG_2500.JPG
IMG_2503.JPG
Misono UX-10 santoku 001.jpg
stock photo.png
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

tongueriver wrote:I have not yet met a knife that didn't need some level of sharpening on a regular basis, but I do have a Japanese santuko that I use all the time (several years and most days) and like. A Misono.
IMG_2500.JPGIMG_2503.JPGMisono UX-10 santoku 001.jpgstock photo.png

Very nice. I haven’t gotten a Misono. Will have to check those out.
Japanese Chef Knives has had some really interesting knives of late. But man, are they expensive. But oh so gorgeous.
SSK
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

This is one I want. Not going to happen.
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/for ... d.1292880/
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

tongueriver wrote:This is one I want. Not going to happen.
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/for ... d.1292880/
WOW! Wonder what it sold for? That is one heck of a nice knife. The handle, the incredible Damascus on the blade is made out from. Just incredible.
SSk
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Thought I would post these here as well as on the Moki thread. Bought my two children, who are adults, one of each of these Japanese beauties. Got them from Japanesechefsknife during their Black Friday sale. Gyuto Gekko is the name they gave them. Gekko is Japanese for moonlight.
Mahogany handles, blades are VG-10 w/ 15 layer Damascus stainless jacket and the hammering pattern on the blades just puts these over the top. The big chef knife is actually the smallest of the 3 that they make, this one has a blade length of appx 7 inches. The other one is a paring knife, with a blade that is appx 3.5 inches long. Stainless bolsters and stainless pins. Wish I had bought myself a pair when I ordered theirs.
SSk
Attachments
IMG_4946.jpeg
IMG_4947.jpeg
IMG_4948.jpeg
IMG_4949.jpeg
IMG_4950.jpeg
Macka17

Post by Macka17 »

I've used Commercial 11in Butchers knives. Wusthof 8in Chef, and 6in Petty since the '60's.
Quite happily. Hold the edge. cut reasonably and rarely chip.

Over the last 10 yrs or so I've been going over to Japanese. NOT the exxy ones.
They, you paying for build.materials. and gorgeous looks plus super sharp. Skinny extra hard blades.
Magic.
But there are cheaper ones which do basically the same job at much lower prices.
I have Tojiro DP3. 3 layer. VG10 centre, S/S outer layers. A LOT of PRO Kitchens have them out there.
8in Chef. 7in Santoku. 6 in Petty. With an Iseya 6in Petty and Sakai Takayuka 210 chef. That's my Drool tool.
Don't use that one much. Mainly just perv on it.

For starters on True basic Japanese blades. go to Aliexpress.
They have several sets. cheap to trial and practice sharpening on.
Hiroshi 4 blade set. $24.50 and a 3 blade set for starters. Plus other better quality ones.
Start on the cheapies first. They ARE completely different. both in handling. Cutting. and sharpening.

You'll find that on the lighter food. the Japanese are 100yrs ahead in cutting blades.
Try one.
A Tojiro DP3 7in Santoku and 6in Iseya 33layer Petty are my every day fav. The missus uses the
Santoku and DP3, 6in Petty.
used on smooth diamond or ceramic steel daily.
sharpen, Around every 5 to 6 months.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Macka17 wrote:I've used Commercial 11in Butchers knives. Wusthof 8in Chef, and 6in Petty since the '60's.
Quite happily. Hold the edge. cut reasonably and rarely chip.

Over the last 10 yrs or so I've been going over to Japanese. NOT the exxy ones.
They, you paying for build.materials. and gorgeous looks plus super sharp. Skinny extra hard blades.
Magic.
But there are cheaper ones which do basically the same job at much lower prices.
I have Tojiro DP3. 3 layer. VG10 centre, S/S outer layers. A LOT of PRO Kitchens have them out there.
8in Chef. 7in Santoku. 6 in Petty. With an Iseya 6in Petty and Sakai Takayuka 210 chef. That's my Drool tool.
Don't use that one much. Mainly just perv on it.

For starters on True basic Japanese blades. go to Aliexpress.
They have several sets. cheap to trial and practice sharpening on.
Hiroshi 4 blade set. $24.50 and a 3 blade set for starters. Plus other better quality ones.
Start on the cheapies first. They ARE completely different. both in handling. Cutting. and sharpening.

You'll find that on the lighter food. the Japanese are 100yrs ahead in cutting blades.
Try one.
A Tojiro DP3 7in Santoku and 6in Iseya 33layer Petty are my every day fav. The missus uses the
Santoku and DP3, 6in Petty.
used on smooth diamond or ceramic steel daily.
sharpen, Around every 5 to 6 months.
Thank you for the information. I will check those out. Sorry I didn’t check this thread for so long. Got consumed w/ chasing other knives. If no one has welcomed you to the forum, then let me be the first to say welcome. Hope you come back often.
SSk

Return to “In The Kitchen”