cutting boards?

A place to discuss sharp and pointy things from the kitchen.
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Re: cutting boards?

Post by Dinadan »

Interesting comments here. I like wood best. I still remember my mother slicing the bacon off the side on an oak board that was close to two inches thick. I have had a few wood boards split over the decades, probably because they were not really quality made. For the last few years I have got a bit lazy. I only use stuff in the kitchen that I can put in the dishwasher. So it is plastic boards for me. I have several of varying sizes, including one big enough for a ten pound Redfish. But the ones I use daily are these thin, lightweight boards.
Attachments
plastic cutting boards
plastic cutting boards
Mel
stumpstalker

Post by stumpstalker »

Dinadan:

If your wood boards over the years had been splitting, it may not have been on account of quality, but rather the wood species.

Oak, as opposed to maple, for example, is an unstable hardwood.
marinaio61

Post by marinaio61 »

My previous wood boards have been Maple glue-ups which tend to eventually split along the glue seams. My current board is Bamboo, so far so good. The Bamboo is very easy on my knives, especially the fine edged Chef's knife, cleans up well and doesn't seem to retain odors any more than the Maple did.
mrwatch

Post by mrwatch »

I bought my Bamboo board at Home Goods and they had several sizes. A chain of stores that seem to sell odd lots at discount prices. Have good prices if you have one in your area. Never know what they will have next time. A couple of J. A. Henckels kitchen knives to. I have no connection to them.
Challenger007

Post by Challenger007 »

I prefer wooden kitchen boards. Although, if the wood is of poor quality, the board deforms. There are no such problems with plastic. well, it depends on the goals. For meat, plastic is better (for my taste). In general, it is best to choose a good quality board.

Return to “In The Kitchen”