ANYONE HEARD OF THIS COMPANY

A place to discuss sharp and pointy things from the kitchen.
jonbowie

ANYONE HEARD OF THIS COMPANY

Post by jonbowie »

I am fascinated by the history of these old beauties. Any information about this company would be great! It was part of a lot I picked up on Ebay....I was actually after one of it's companions, but this is likely to wind up in my "user" drawer as well...assuming it will take/hold an edge; haven't tried that yet.
Thanks,
Jon
Attachments
100_1905 (2).JPG
100_1907 (2).JPG
100_1904 (2).JPG
100_1903 (2).JPG
jonbowie

Re: ANYONE HEARD OF THIS COMPANY

Post by jonbowie »

A bit of follow up. I was checking on this and realized I had not said anything about the stamp. I am reasonably sure the COLO stands for Colorado, and there is a Monte Vista northeast of Alamosa. I can't make out the first initial with any certainty; could be a J or O or I suppose G. Pretty sure second is R and then WHITING.
As an old retired carpenter, I love how the handle guy made use of the pin knot in the wood (hickory?) to help prevent the scales from splitting apart beyond the sawcut for the nice tapered tang.
280 knife lovers and no one has heard of it? Must be really rare. That makes it crazy valuable, right! HA
Jon
knife7knut

Re: ANYONE HEARD OF THIS COMPANY

Post by knife7knut »

jonbowie wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:14 pm A bit of follow up. I was checking on this and realized I had not said anything about the stamp. I am reasonably sure the COLO stands for Colorado, and there is a Monte Vista northeast of Alamosa. I can't make out the first initial with any certainty; could be a J or O or I suppose G. Pretty sure second is R and then WHITING.
As an old retired carpenter, I love how the handle guy made use of the pin knot in the wood (hickory?) to help prevent the scales from splitting apart beyond the sawcut for the nice tapered tang.
280 knife lovers and no one has heard of it? Must be really rare. That makes it crazy valuable, right! HA
Jon
I believe the second letter is a B rather than an R. Must have been some production of them as I doubt anyone would have a stamp made up for just one knife.Did you try doing an obituary search of the area? Sometimes that will bear fruit.
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!

Return to “In The Kitchen”