Knife sharpeners plus.....................

A place to discuss sharp and pointy things from the kitchen.
knife7knut

Knife sharpeners plus.....................

Post by knife7knut »

Going through some boxes tonight and re-photographing some dark pictures I came across a cigar box full of knife sharpeners;can openers,and glass cutters.Some of these are combination tools although why they chose to pair a knife sharpener with a glass cutter is beyond my comprehension.
One of the items called a,"Master Sharpener" is a tool for sharpening knives(and possibly scissors)using a pair of guides over a section of a file.I've provided a series of pictures to show how it works.
One of the glass cutters has 6 individual cutting wheels inside the head that can be quickly rotated into position should one become dulled. Another has a tiny screwdriver inside the handle to facilitate removal of the cutting wheel. Still another looks like a folding knife and has a glass breaker(for snapping off small pieces)on one side and an industrial diamond(missing)to cut the glass.
Attachments
MasterSharpenerDetail.JPG
HowToUseTheMasterSharpener 001.jpg
HowToUseTheMasterSharpener 002.jpg
HowToUseTheMasterSharpener 003.jpg
HowToUseTheMasterSharpener 004.jpg
HowToUseTheMasterSharpener 005.jpg
HowToUseTheMasterSharpener 006.jpg
AcmeCombinationTool1.JPG
DrawKnifeThruHere&Here1.JPG
ApexKnifeSharpenerGlassCutter1.JPG
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
knife7knut

Re: Knife sharpeners plus.....................

Post by knife7knut »

Some more.
Attachments
FoldingGlassCuter3029-1.JPG
FranceGlassCutter1.JPG
FranceGlassCutter2.JPG
GoodellToolCo.GlassCutter1.JPG
GoodellToolCo.GlassCutter2019 001.jpg
H.R.Ransom&Co.KnifeSharpenerSide1.JPG
IvoryHandledKnifeSharpener1.JPG
RedHandledGlassCutter-KnifeSharpener1.JPG
ApexKnifeSharpenerGlassCutter1.JPG
DrawKnifeThruHere&Here1.JPG
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Cool gadgets. ::nod::
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Nice sharpeners, Ray.
Did you get some glass cutters in there?

Here's one of my favorites. :)
Attachments
DSCN8663.JPG
Joe
Mr. Chips

Post by Mr. Chips »

At one time almost every gadget that was designed primarily to extract money from some sucker, had a glass cutter on it. In my 75 years, I have encountered a few times when I needed a glass cutter, but not all that many.
I know some people have occupations and hobbies where they use glass cutters a lot, but the prevalence of them on the gadgets I mentioned, would suggest that most people were doing little else but cut glass!
I had an uncle that, when I was a child in the early 1950s, had an amazing accumulation of these gadgets. Maybe he considered himself a collector, but he just hung them up on the pegboard in his workshop. He seemed to be utterly unable to resist buying them. Once he took me to a big fair (the Pacific National Exhibition in Vancouver BC), and we watched a huckster demonstrating the wonders of yet another contraption. Uncle Bud bought it of course! I don't remember ever seeing him use one of these things. I do seem to remember that they pretty much all had glass cutters on them, and that my uncle never cut any glass.
Mr. Chips

Post by Mr. Chips »

FRJ wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:52 pm Nice sharpeners, Ray.
Did you get some glass cutters in there?

Here's one of my favorites. :)
My favorite knife sharpener looks amazingly like yours!
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Thank you, Mr. Chips.
I have said if one had just this two sided stone you would really need no other.

However ........ I have many others of various sizes and grits and complexion.
Man made water stones to Belgian Blue earth stones and many in between.
I like the many options that stones give. A far better sharpening tool than any gadget ever devised.
Joe
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

This one is my favorite;bought at the flea market across the street from where I live for $15. The cover was broken on it with a large chunk missing that I fabricated a new piece.To change sides,you push in one of the knobs which disengages the lock pin and allows it to rotate.
When I first saw it,I picked it up and turned it over;not realizing the tray was full of lard oil! I STILL can't get the smell of it out of the housing!Must have been used in a machine shop to sharpen tools.
Attachments
Carborundum Duo-Stone No.92 001.jpg
KnifeSharpeningTools2020 001.jpg
KnifeSharpeningTools2020 002.jpg
KnifeSharpeningTools2020 003.jpg
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Nice stone, Ray.
You did a great job repairing that top.
I have one that just sets in a tray. Maybe just a little smaller than yours. Tomorrow.
Joe
mrwatch

Post by mrwatch »

kife7knut, your brass French glass cutter. I bought one in the early 1970's at an antique shop. I should still have it and didn't know it could have a screw driver blade inside. I would like to know the age and maker.
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

mrwatch wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:53 pm kife7knut, your brass French glass cutter. I bought one in the early 1970's at an antique shop. I should still have it and didn't know it could have a screw driver blade inside. I would like to know the age and maker.
I would also like to know the age of it.I found the screwdriver quite by accident when I noticed the handle was a little loose.Unscrewed it and discovered the screwdriver with a tip just the size of the screw holding the wheel on.
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Some pictures of my cased combination oil stone. Sometimes I forget I have this stuff, ::facepalm::
Attachments
DSCN8678.JPG
DSCN8679.JPG
DSCN8682.JPG
DSCN8685.JPG
Joe
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

FRJ wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:22 pm Some pictures of my cased combination oil stone. Sometimes I forget I have this stuff, ::facepalm::
Love them big uns!
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

I agree, Ray, here are a few more.
These are great for sharpening large kitchen knives on.
Attachments
DSCN8690.JPG
DSCN8694.JPG
Joe
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Some how I missed this thread when knife7knut posted the commercial combination whet rock. In my father in law’s meat business, there were knife sharpeners with 3 different grits of carborundum in a similar green container that was in an oil bath. They were rented or leased from the company that supplied meat saw blades.
Thanks to member Salina for resurrecting this thread. ::tu::
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

treefarmer wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:49 pm Some how I missed this thread when knife7knut posted the commercial combination whet rock. In my father in law’s meat business, there were knife sharpeners with 3 different grits of carborundum in a similar green container that was in an oil bath. They were rented or leased from the company that supplied meat saw blades.
Thanks to member Salina for resurrecting this thread. ::tu::
Treefarmer
I bought one of those at an auction a couple of years ago. The deceased was a retired butcher. I have it out in the shop now. One of the stones is missing. I need to find a replacement and get it up and running. Mine is green too.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee

Return to “In The Kitchen”