Some old can openers..................

A place to discuss sharp and pointy things from the kitchen.
Ridgegrass

Re: Some old can openers..................

Post by Ridgegrass »

1967-68 "P-38" In my wallet since then. Still use it once in a great while. :D J.O'.
Attachments
IMG_2332.jpg
IMG_2331.jpg
IMG_2330.jpg
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

I have a couple old Keen Kutters to add.
Attachments
16132787374077132120580346292243.jpg
16132788580905415599052259250271.jpg
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I have never seen a "P38" or the Keen Kutter can openers. Likely there are many designs 'out there' for can openers. A whole new collecting field ! ::woot::
kj
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

kootenay joe wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:41 am I have never seen a "P38" or the Keen Kutter can openers. Likely there are many designs 'out there' for can openers. A whole new collecting field ! ::woot::
kj
Roland:The P-38 came included with C-rations(the predecessor of MRE's or meals ready to eat)that soldiers were given in the field.An inexpensive little can opener that could be attached to a chain(usually the one that held your dog tags)they were made in the gazillions.They didn't last very long but then they were only designed to open the cans included in each ration.
The Keen Kutter models I have only seen pictures of.
Yes there are WAY too many "fields of collecting"! ::dang::
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
catspa

Post by catspa »

P-38 on my keychain since 1989. The one I have now is my second one.

Parker
Ridgegrass

Post by Ridgegrass »

I don't have one to show but I'm sure lots of us remember coffee keys that cut and wound up a band of metal from the coffee can. They were on Spam and Treet and other canned meats. Sardine cans had keys that rolled the whole lid off. I'm sure today they'd come with the lawyer cautions. :D
My grandmothers would save the keys and all the grandboys would fight over them. Don't remember if we even had a use for them but we fought over anything. J.O'.
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Ridgegrass wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 6:18 pm I don't have one to show but I'm sure lots of us remember coffee keys that cut and wound up a band of metal from the coffee can. They were on Spam and Treet and other canned meats. Sardine cans had keys that rolled the whole lid off. I'm sure today they'd come with the lawyer cautions. :D
My grandmothers would save the keys and all the grandboys would fight over them. Don't remember if we even had a use for them but we fought over anything. J.O'.
I have noticed some corned beef still has it. It is usually a product of some foreign country, usually Brazil, however.
Ridgegrass

Post by Ridgegrass »

Cody: Yes and some imported sardines. The key is under the paper wrapping. J.O'.
Ridgegrass

Post by Ridgegrass »

Not a can opener but a handy old kitchen gadget. This one was in my parents' kitchen drawer before I was born,(I'm 76.), and both sets of my grandparents had one. It's a jelly jar lid opener, metal ice tray loosener, cap lifter and I don't know what else. Funny how it stayed with us all these years. I never use it but its there. J.O'.
Attachments
IMG_5653.jpg
IMG_5654.jpg

Return to “In The Kitchen”