Anyone Collect Axes & Hatchets?

A place dedicated to the discussion & picture sharing of swords, hatchets, throwing knives, Native American Tools, tomahawk heads and other related items.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Anyone Collect Axes & Hatchets?

Post by 1967redrider »

I wish quotes also captured the date of the post being quoted. It took me a good half hour finding Dale's original post on Page 17 of this thread. ::mdm::
Attachments
Screenshot_20220112-090312.png
Screenshot_20220112-085943.png
Screenshot_20220112-090002.png
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Hesmikeb

Post by Hesmikeb »

These both came out of the dirt on my property....soaked in vinegar to get the rust but man they are pitted. Can't find any maker's marks anywhere. I think I see a #5 on one of them but not clear. About to put handles in them and use them.
Attachments
20220206_141042.jpg
20220206_141020.jpg
TPK

Post by TPK »

Hesmikeb wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:24 am These both came out of the dirt on my property....soaked in vinegar to get the rust but man they are pitted. Can't find any maker's marks anywhere. I think I see a #5 on one of them but not clear. About to put handles in them and use them.
Wow! :shock: Super cool find! ::nod:: ::tu:: Congrats! ::handshake:: ::super_happy::
I wonder just how old those are. ::hmm::
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
Hesmikeb

Post by Hesmikeb »

I have no clue....maybe some experts here might have an opinion

The house I tore down in order to build mine was probably built in the early to mid 1800s but people lived there up until the late 70s ::shrug::
Hesmikeb

Post by Hesmikeb »

Put a handle on one of them but dont think I did a very good job...I think maybe I should have cut that ridge down some so maybe the head would come on down further. The handle may not have been a good choice to start with...didnt come close to filling the eye and since I didnt shave those shoulders down, there was no excess at the top...but, its tight, I'm just not confident it will stay tight....need to take my time next time....still learning...will send a few more pics
Attachments
20220208_085306.jpg
20220208_085256.jpg
Hesmikeb

Post by Hesmikeb »

Couple more pics highlighting my not so good axe handling
Attachments
20220208_091459.jpg
20220208_091348.jpg
Painter80

Post by Painter80 »

I don't collect them, but I found this really small hatchet head so bought it for my son. Have to find someone to make a handle for it at some point though. It measures 4 1/2" x 3" (razor blade for scale)
Attachments
20220224_152246~2.jpg
rarefish383

Post by rarefish383 »

Hesmikeb wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:22 pm Couple more pics highlighting my not so good axe handling
I have 25-30 American axes with the original hafts in them dating back to about 1910. The trend toward having an inch or so of the haft sticking up proud, just seemed to me to be a lazy persons way of doing a half way job. That way it could be hung loose, and then spread it with a wedge. I think you did a good job with that hang. If they could hang an axe with the handle cut flush to the eye a hundred years ago, and they are still tight today, to me, that's the proper way to do it. If you are new to axes do a search for the Forestry Dept. video, An ax to grind. It's an hour long and it kept me occupied. Tells how to pick a handle by the proper grain orientation, tools for sharpening, how to sharpen properly, how to hang, etc.
Hesmikeb

Post by Hesmikeb »

rarefish383 wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:29 pm
Hesmikeb wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:22 pm Couple more pics highlighting my not so good axe handling
I have 25-30 American axes with the original hafts in them dating back to about 1910. The trend toward having an inch or so of the haft sticking up proud, just seemed to me to be a lazy persons way of doing a half way job. That way it could be hung loose, and then spread it with a wedge. I think you did a good job with that hang. If they could hang an axe with the handle cut flush to the eye a hundred years ago, and they are still tight today, to me, that's the proper way to do it. If you are new to axes do a search for the Forestry Dept. video, An ax to grind. It's an hour long and it kept me occupied. Tells how to pick a handle by the proper grain orientation, tools for sharpening, how to sharpen properly, how to hang, etc.
Thanks rarefish... I appreciate the comment and the additional information. The grain is good on that handle (36 inch) and I've put a pretty good edge on the bit. Used it several times just chopping logs..its throwing big chunks and is still tight so we'll see. I have a few more to hang (all under 4 lbs) and will be trying shorter lengths to see what I like best for certain jobs. Just enjoying this new obsession for now and it's not expensive since I already have the heads.

I'll check out the video and thanks again for taking the time to comment
GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

Hesmikeb wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:24 am These both came out of the dirt on my property....soaked in vinegar to get the rust but man they are pitted. Can't find any maker's marks anywhere. I think I see a #5 on one of them but not clear. About to put handles in them and use them.
Nice!!!
Please visit my AAPK store: https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ca ... er_id=2383

They say, “Hard work never hurt anyone”, but I'm still not willing to risk it.
GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

Latest addition to my "medieval" collection...
Attachments
DSCF3369.JPG
DSCF3370.JPG
DSCF3368.JPG
Please visit my AAPK store: https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ca ... er_id=2383

TPK

Post by TPK »

Cool! 8) :D

GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

TPK wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 5:13 amCool! 8) :D
Thanks, ::hmm:: just incase of an impending Zombie-Apocalypse ::paranoid:: it never hurts to have one or two of these items around... ::paranoid::

TPK

Post by TPK »

GSPTOPDOG wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:23 pm
Thanks, ::hmm:: just incase of an impending Zombie-Apocalypse ::paranoid:: it never hurts to have one or two of these items around... ::paranoid::

I should probably get one then. ::paranoid:: :lol: ::tu::

GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

TPK wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 5:30 am
GSPTOPDOG wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:23 pm

I should probably get one then. ::paranoid:: :lol: ::tu::
::nod:: ::nod::

GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

Hesmikeb wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:11 pm Put a handle on one of them but dont think I did a very good job...I think maybe I should have cut that ridge down some so maybe the head would come on down further. The handle may not have been a good choice to start with...didnt come close to filling the eye and since I didnt shave those shoulders down, there was no excess at the top...but, its tight, I'm just not confident it will stay tight....need to take my time next time....still learning...will send a few more pics
They look good to me ::nod::

Here are a few I fixed up a while back. The were pretty rough, lot's of rust, but cleaned up pretty well.
Attachments
DSCF2985.JPG
DSCF2986.JPG
DSCF2987.JPG
DSCF3001.JPG
DSCF3002.JPG
DSCF3004.JPG
DSCF2816.JPG
DSCF2842.JPG
DSCF2845.JPG

Ridgegrass
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ridgegrass »

rdubya: The adze is cool! Back in 1970 I was a dock builder/pile driver superintendent in Baltimore. We built heavy industrial piers and bulkheads and all kinds of heavy timber construction. My crews were older, highly skilled black guys who could almost whittle an oak piling or mortise a pier timber with an adze and kept them razor sharp for amazingly close fits. They called an adze a "foot axe" and said it was very bad luck to break a handle, probably because they are really hard to find. Nice to see one again. ::tu:: J.O'.
buckshot22
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by buckshot22 »

Found this little Marbles #2 1/2 in my dad’s old collection. Anyone know where to find some handles? Also thinking about making my own with some cocabola I have laying around…
Attachments
87743020-D627-4B7B-AFA6-AF569C096666.jpeg
3FE56AA3-53CB-44E1-9F18-C4314A3689B7.jpeg
rarefish383

Post by rarefish383 »

Painter80 wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:26 pm I don't collect them, but I found this really small hatchet head so bought it for my son. Have to find someone to make a handle for it at some point though. It measures 4 1/2" x 3" (razor blade for scale)
I don't make handles and I really don't like hanging axes. But, I had a friend over looking at some Black Walnut slabs I had. He said what's that. It was an old Plumb Boys ax. I didn't remember putting it there, or where I got it. But, since I like Plumbs, and you could still see the Plumb logo, I took a flap disc on my angle grinder and polished it like a mirror. I ground 8 ounces of rust off of it. Once I got that far, I got a piece of Ash firewood off my firewood pile. I ran it through my table saw and squared it up. Found a longer handle that I liked and traced the pattern on a piece of cardboard, cut the middle out so I got it to about the size of a hatchet. After dinner I spent about an hour with a 4 in 1 hand rasp shaping it. Took 4 nights. I didn't like the polished look so I got some Birchwood Casey Rifle Browning and browned it. It turned out nice and I made it my throwing ax. It throws well. I posted all the pics here a few years ago. If I can find them I'll bump them back to the top. If not I'll repost them. Ash is a good wood for handles and files down pretty easy.
rarefish383

Post by rarefish383 »

Painter80 wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:26 pm I don't collect them, but I found this really small hatchet head so bought it for my son. Have to find someone to make a handle for it at some point though. It measures 4 1/2" x 3" (razor blade for scale)
Go back to page 19 and there are a bunch of pics of the little Plumb from a chunk of rust to a nice little throwing ax. If I can make a handle, anyone can. I would recommend Ash for a first try, it's much softer tan Hickory.
Painter80

Post by Painter80 »

rarefish383 wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 1:18 am
Go back to page 19 and there are a bunch of pics of the little Plumb from a chunk of rust to a nice little throwing ax. If I can make a handle, anyone can. I would recommend Ash for a first try, it's much softer tan Hickory.
Your project turned out nice. Maybe I'll try to make something eventually
buckshot22
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by buckshot22 »

After pics of the Marbles 2 1/2. Added the Cocabola handles.
Attachments
C3B00250-1434-45AA-B61E-7AF30688626C.jpeg
783542EF-05E7-4FE8-8A27-B0F05CC67B8D.jpeg
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Knice!
royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by royal0014 »

buckshot22 wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 12:49 amAfter pics of the Marbles 2 1/2. Added the Cocabola handles.
Excellant ! The brass really pops
Question .. what is the doodad on the back ??
Chris
i woke last night to the sound of thunder
how far off i sat and wondered
started humming a song from nineteen sixty two
aint it funny how the night moves
buckshot22
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by buckshot22 »

Thanks! It’s a pivoting mail puller. I guess that’s what gives it the 1/2. Without it, it’s just a #2. I’ve seen another Marbles like this that has a pivoting spike too. Interesting.

Return to “Other Sharp Objects”