My new Rapid River Timber Cruiser hatchet

A place dedicated to the discussion & picture sharing of swords, hatchets, throwing knives, Native American Tools, tomahawk heads and other related items.
Rupe

My new Rapid River Timber Cruiser hatchet

Post by Rupe »

Hi folks. I've been away for a while. Work has had me on the run. One week in Covington, KY. Two weeks in Sacramento, CA. Yep, I'm rackin' up the frequent flyer points this fall.

Anyway. On to my story.

This is my latest acquisition. A Rapid River Timber Cruiser. Its their latest offering and, as a member of their collectors club, I was lucky enough to win this one. Its a 1 of 1 custom that came with a leather sheath and custom display mount with a deer laser etched on it.

The handle has a brass guard followed by a 1" section of hardwood. A stacked leather handle and antler base finish the handle.

Edge length is 2.5". Overall length is 11.5". Height from edge to spine is 3 5/8". Its about 1/4" thick with a scandi-type grind with a slight convex profile.

And with a couple Shaggy Manes that I found in the yard.

Yep. I'm a lucky boy :mrgreen: .

Before receiving the hatchet and finding out it was a 1 of 1 custom I had agreed to test the Timber Cruiser and post reviews. I'm currently testing it and will post results afterwards.

Believe me. I know. I'm not a real fan of safe queens/display pieces but I gotta be true to my word. I can always send it back for a quick refurb. so I can put it on display later.

so far, I've just done some simple splitting.

Thanks for looking,

Chris
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: My new Rapid River Timber Cruiser hatchet

Post by orvet »

Very nice! ::tu:: ::tu::

Dale
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
Rupe

Re: My new Rapid River Timber Cruiser hatchet

Post by Rupe »

Thanks Dale.

I forgot to mention, its A2 tool steel. So far, no word on hardness. Made right here in Michigan.

I'm sure the tang goes fully through the leather but I'm not sure how far into the antler it goes. Being left handed, and the hatchet having the antler base in that position, it gives an extra bit of room for grip and almost works as a palm swell. Worked out nice as far as grip goes. I'm just afraid to lean into it without choking up on it.

For now, the antler is for decoration. Not a handle. :wink:

Chris

Return to “Other Sharp Objects”