Anyone Collect Axes & Hatchets?

A place dedicated to the discussion & picture sharing of swords, hatchets, throwing knives, Native American Tools, tomahawk heads and other related items.
CCBill

Re: Anyone Collect Axes & Hatchets?

Post by CCBill »

Wow! bd8b...
Nice work. There are a lot of talented Folks on this Site. I wish I was one of them...
...CCBill... ::shrug::
Only two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
Albert Einstein...
allmightyoz

Post by allmightyoz »

Champion Hatchet, possibly Kelly made? Not sure. Hope someone could enlighten me on this one. Very well made and really nice patina.
P1010038.JPG
Kelly Flint Edge. Good axe, little bit hard to find with this stamp. Stamped with this man forging an axe on the back and True Temper Kelly Works on the front.
P1010067.JPG
Plumb Champion axe. Made to commemorate Peter McLaren (Melbourne Australia) as a champion wood chopper. Austalian made Plumbs have a star stamped onto the back of the head, and are less valuable than ones not stamped with a star. A price difference from $100 plus for an Australian to $300 - $600 for an American made with no star stamp.
P1010015.JPG
P1010019.JPG
True Temper Kelly Jersey Felling Axe. Great axe for using, very well hardened bit and grooved eye for extra handle retention. Kelly Perfects were some of the best axes Kelly made. $100 range for a good one with a handle.
P1010041.JPG
P1010046.JPG
There's a mass without roofs. There's a prison to fill. There's a country's soul that reads post no bills. There's a strike and a line of cops outside of the mill. There's a right to obey and a right to kill.
vikingdog

Post by vikingdog »

Nice Oz! ::tu:: ::drool:: Got any more?
"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." Ogden Nash

My traditional Nordic knife blog: http://nordiskaknivar.wordpress.com/

Mike
allmightyoz

Post by allmightyoz »

yeah they are all going on the bay next couple of weeks or so. Thinking about puttin a Stanley 4 square on there (its ROUGH though), a Binghams Best Brand from Cleveland Ohio (have two of these, almost exactly the same condition), a Norlund "tomahawk" axe.

Those guys are into axes right now, looks like that's where the money is! I'll get some pics. Have some really really neat Keen Kutters that are staying in the Kollection. One with a stamp of geese and another with a stamp of a dog. These bring pretty nice money but are just too purdy to sell ::dang:: I will get some pics of these, as they are the best. Another good one is an original marbles safety axe, I'll grab a pic of this too.
There's a mass without roofs. There's a prison to fill. There's a country's soul that reads post no bills. There's a strike and a line of cops outside of the mill. There's a right to obey and a right to kill.
vikingdog

Post by vikingdog »

I'll be looking forward to seeing them.
"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." Ogden Nash

Mike
PigSticker

Post by PigSticker »

Not any good at taking knife pic's but here's axe pic or think they're called atz-no markings on it but doesn't appear to have much if any use at all
NEVER DOUBT YOUR DAWG
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Very nice head, PigStiker. It does look to be unused. Unsharpened for sure.
Joe
vikingdog

Post by vikingdog »

Nice PigSticker. ::tu:: Thanks for posting it.

Mike
PigSticker

Post by PigSticker »

Nice little camp axe-very little use unsharpened EDIT got rid of Photobucket pic's
Attachments
041.JPG
040.JPG
NEVER DOUBT YOUR DAWG
vikingdog

Post by vikingdog »

Really nice one. I wonder how old it is?

Mike
PigSticker

Post by PigSticker »

Thanks VD--i will tell you this i found it in the our basement my wife has lived here her entire life except for four years in her early 20's it was her grandfathers and i'm thinkin he bought this place in 36 so no tellin on it's age but it is has a good feel when you pick it up--i've got one more i brought back from my cabin i'll post tommarow.
NEVER DOUBT YOUR DAWG
vikingdog

Post by vikingdog »

I like that one. I'll be looking for your post tomorrow!

Mike
PigSticker

Post by PigSticker »

BoyScout hatchet still has origanal handle can't see in the pic but there is spots of red & green paint still on it
Attachments
107.JPG
108.JPG
NEVER DOUBT YOUR DAWG
almyjmoore

Post by almyjmoore »

I really enjoyed looking at the axes and hatchets that have been posted in this thread. I only have a few. Two are Norlund hatchets, two are Norlund axes and one is a fireman's axe head dated 1929. I beleive the Norlund pieces were made in the late 1970's but they have a nice shape.
Attachments
9-7-11 axes & hatchets 005.jpg
allmightyoz

Post by allmightyoz »

moore u might do well with that very strange fireman axe on the bay if u are looking to sell. that is really unusual. I've gotten 350 for a Keen Kutter fireman.

pig sticker, i like the boyscout. have the same one but in much much rougher condition. im jealous
vikingdog

Post by vikingdog »

Good stuff you guys. ::tu:: Do you have any idea when the scout hatchet is from PigSticker? I have an Estwing from the late 60s that's all one piece of metal.

Thanks for taking the time and effort to post your pictures. This is a good thread. ::nod::

Mike
PigSticker

Post by PigSticker »

No idea how old the Scout is i've had it all of twenty years now and it was in the same shape then--I have seen this same hatchet on Ebay and they had red and green paint on the handle orginally. I've got more at the cabin i'll get pic's of next time i'm up there.

Al that is a very cool firemen's axe also like those swede axes.

Just remembered i have one more i brought down from up north it's not handled and has no marking stamped on it but looks to have been forged i'll dig it out and get a couple shots of it in the next day er so
NEVER DOUBT YOUR DAWG
bigdaddys8ball

Post by bigdaddys8ball »

hello everybody i dug this up the other day ive had it for a long time it was my grandpaws and he passed in 1978 and ive have had it all these years i cleaned for about 30 minutes and on the side of it it says craftsman over =reg us pat off-m= it looks like it has never been used what can anyone tell me about this hatchet i would like to know when it was made
Attachments
001.JPG
002.JPG
005.JPG
PigSticker

Post by PigSticker »

Bigdaddy that is a framing axe-That is what all the west coast house framers used instead of a framing hammer and those guys would really butch stuff up with em-probably a 32oz.
NEVER DOUBT YOUR DAWG
wazu013

Post by wazu013 »

Does this count ?
Attachments
Knif AX 015.JPG
Laissez Les Bon Temps Roulez
vikingdog

Post by vikingdog »

Wow, it sure does! I've never seen that set before, very nice.

Mike
IMBand

Post by IMBand »

One that my brother gave me.
Attachments
Picture 038-33.JPG
AAPK #6581
MyDogsHunt

Post by MyDogsHunt »

I'm not really a collector, but here's an old Plumb Cruiser axe I found and revitalized.
Makes a perfect companion to my little Estwing Hatchet at camp.
I even made a cover for it to keep it from "chopping" the rest of my gear on the way to camp.
Had a hard time finding the correct 28" handle for it, but it was well worth the effort IMO.
I'd much rather have this old American made beauty than a whole pick up load of fancy, high dollar Sweedish stuff for what I do.
Charlie
Get my lantern Get my gun

Money can't buy happiness, but it will buy you a goat.
vikingdog

Post by vikingdog »

Real nice axe and nice pictures Charlie! If you made the leather cover you did a great job of it. ::tu:: I have an Estwing hatchet just like yours.

Mike
MyDogsHunt

Post by MyDogsHunt »

Thanks Mike
I did indeed make the cover but it wasn't my design.
A nice guy over on blade forums came up with it and shared it with me.
Love those little Estwings, they're indestructable.
I bought that one as a companion to one of my old favorites.
Retired the knife years ago, but the hatchet still lives in the camp box and always will.
Charlie
Get my lantern Get my gun

Money can't buy happiness, but it will buy you a goat.

Return to “Other Sharp Objects”