Anyone Collect Axes & Hatchets?

A place dedicated to the discussion & picture sharing of swords, hatchets, throwing knives, Native American Tools, tomahawk heads and other related items.
rarefish383

Re: Anyone Collect Axes & Hatchets?

Post by rarefish383 »

WOW, that plumb is cool. Sorry it took so long to get back. I'm putting a 12X40 building on my property in WV. I've had to drive 2.5 hours each way 7-8 times in the last 3 weeks, just to point and say put it there, to the contractors.
Bfeldman

Post by Bfeldman »

Rare fish-Isn’t that Plumb a beauty? That sounds like a lot of work for a small structure.

Here’s the HB after a cleaning, oiling and sharpening. I think I’m going to sell it on to pay for the rest of the collection.
39930C8B-F343-478E-B67E-CE68C5176A6F.jpeg
CF141AFA-B3E1-475D-91AC-C2D79BE45688.jpeg
C43C4CA0-6A89-49C6-B70D-4151BC452CEC.jpeg
Bfeldman

Post by Bfeldman »

Wooo doggie am I excited. So yesterday I was running some errands and saw a sign for an estate sale. After poking around I found my way to the garage where I noticed a mattock and axe. The mattock was in good condition but nothing special. The axe was quite rusty but a quick glanced revealed an older style embossed stamp, so I knew I was onto something. I stopped examining it so as not to arouse attention, paid the $8 and took it out to examine it. Imagine my surprise at what had found!
422892FA-B763-4B53-A7A7-E3D367365BEF.jpeg
It’s on a replacement Dunlap handle that someone had covered in fiberglass on both the eye and below the head. I assumed was cracked, but after removing most of the fiberglass the handle appears sound. Unfortunately, whomever replaced the handle seems to have used the fiberglass to secure the head to the handle and the resin is in the gaps between the handle and head in the eye.

I’d like to remove the head, clean it and rehang it properly on the same handle. Any suggestions for getting the fiberglass resin out without damaging the handle or head?
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

That's a very cool looking axe head!!! ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

I don't collect axes or hatchets, but these 2 have been in my family forever. The one WITHOUT the handle has no stamp or markings of any kind (that I can find). The one WITH the handle is marked STANLEY MADE IN U.S.A. I'm not 100% sure, but I think
this was my father's when he was a lineman for N.Y. Telephone Company. If so, then 1946 to late 1950s? He could have obtained it later, but I would have no idea when. ::shrug::
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

I don't really collect hatchet, but I have a few.
I got this one mainly because I collect Keen Kutter items.
Any info would be nice. Such as what is this style called?
Attachments
20190525_164557.jpg
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
Bfeldman

Post by Bfeldman »

Doc B-Thanks. I’m still a little giddy about that find.

New Windsor-That’s definitely a lineman’s Hatchet so it would make sense that your dad picked it up when he worked as a lineman. Stanley made a lot of them for Bell and I believe that those all have a Bell Systems stamp on the opposite side. I wonder if yours has a stamp on the reverse.

Edge213-You have what’s known as a hewing hatchet, used in finishing logs into timber or even more refined work.
rarefish383

Post by rarefish383 »

Bfeldman wrote:Rare fish-Isn’t that Plumb a beauty? That sounds like a lot of work for a small structure.

Here’s the HB after a cleaning, oiling and sharpening. I think I’m going to sell it on to pay for the rest of the collection.
39930C8B-F343-478E-B67E-CE68C5176A6F.jpegCF141AFA-B3E1-475D-91AC-C2D79BE45688.jpegC43C4CA0-6A89-49C6-B70D-4151BC452CEC.jpeg
Attachments
20190413_112648.jpg
20190413_113429.jpg
rarefish383

Post by rarefish383 »

For some reason I was having trouble getting pics to post. My problem is my drive is over a mile and a half long with sevearl other farms drives off of it. I had to get the building manufacturer to see if they could get the building in. Then the local quarry is just a few miles away, just over the line in VA. They only have 4 trucks they can run into WV. WV requires "Apportioned Tags", and there trucks with them are quad axle dumps. He couldn't cross our cattle bridges. The guy that is doing the grading has the same problem. The only truck he can haul gravel on doesn't have Apportioned Tags. Finally found a WV guy that could do it, but he had to make two loads with his smallest truck. Then I had several trips to widen the drive from about 7' wide to 14' wide, the entire length of the drive. It will be all finished next week.
Bfeldman

Post by Bfeldman »

rarefish383 wrote:For some reason I was having trouble getting pics to post. My problem is my drive is over a mile and a half long with sevearl other farms drives off of it. I had to get the building manufacturer to see if they could get the building in. Then the local quarry is just a few miles away, just over the line in VA. They only have 4 trucks they can run into WV. WV requires "Apportioned Tags", and there trucks with them are quad axle dumps. He couldn't cross our cattle bridges. The guy that is doing the grading has the same problem. The only truck he can haul gravel on doesn't have Apportioned Tags. Finally found a WV guy that could do it, but he had to make two loads with his smallest truck. Then I had several trips to widen the drive from about 7' wide to 14' wide, the entire length of the drive. It will be all finished next week.
Sounds like a Royal PITA!
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

I just had this rehandled my our own muskrat man.....he thinks it's an old Snow & Healey. It's a Hudson Bay pattern for sure!

Can't wait to use it....

last pic is before I sent it to him!!
Attachments
IMG_5572.JPG
IMG_5571.JPG
IMG_5184.JPG
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

That is knice Scott. Muskrat man seems to be the axe guru. He sure does good work. Congrats. Better than a new one. ::tu:: ::tu::
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

If there is such a thing as a handsome axe, yours fills the bill Scott.
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Bfeldman wrote:New Windsor-That’s definitely a lineman’s Hatchet so it would make sense that your dad picked it up when he worked as a lineman. Stanley made a lot of them for Bell and I believe that those all have a Bell Systems stamp on the opposite side. I wonder if yours has a stamp on the reverse.
It is/was definitely stamped BELL SYSTEM. It appears that someone tried to "erase" it. You can still make out enough of the lettering to know what it says/said. I'm sure there's a good story in there somewhere. It's a shame I don't nor will I ever know what it was. ::dang::
Click To Enlarge.
(Original Post Near Top Of This Page)
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip
Bfeldman

Post by Bfeldman »

Scott-that’s a beauty. And looks a lot like the snow and neally that I’ve got (posted earlier in the thread)

New Windsor- that certainly does add to the mystery! Clearly someone wasn’t happy with Bell at some point.
rarefish383

Post by rarefish383 »

New_Windsor_NY wrote:
Bfeldman wrote:New Windsor-That’s definitely a lineman’s Hatchet so it would make sense that your dad picked it up when he worked as a lineman. Stanley made a lot of them for Bell and I believe that those all have a Bell Systems stamp on the opposite side. I wonder if yours has a stamp on the reverse.
It is/was definitely stamped BELL SYSTEM. It appears that someone tried to "erase" it. You can still make out enough of the lettering to know what it says/said. I'm sure there's a good story in there somewhere. It's a shame I don't nor will I ever know what it was. ::dang::
Click To Enlarge.
My first thought was why any idiot would try and hide the bell logo. Then I tried to think like I was using it many years ago. First, back then it was just a tool, probably in the company tool kit. All the gouges are on the flat, I bet someone was using it as a hammer too. Why carry an extra couple pounds around, when the company hatchet works just fine, and he wanted a wider striking surface than the skinny poll? :)
Bfeldman

Post by Bfeldman »

That could be it. I guess we will never know, which I believe gives you the right to make up any story you like about that hatchet.
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

vikingdog wrote:Looks good
....mike, good to see you posting!!...hope you are doing o.k.!!!....if it weren't for you, I would never have known about AAPK!!!........................ ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ....................
rarefish383

Post by rarefish383 »

Haven't posted any new ones for a while. Picked up two at an auction the other day. A nice Plumb double, and a Pennsylvania Rail Road. Don't know who the maker of the PRR is.
rarefish383

Post by rarefish383 »

Here's the pics.
Attachments
20190830_092430.jpg
20190830_092440.jpg
20190830_092420.jpg
20190830_092425.jpg
rarefish383

Post by rarefish383 »

If you click on the pic it will enlarge and turn it upright so you can see the PRR stamp, Joe.
Bfeldman

Post by Bfeldman »

Those are nice looking axes. I picked up a few recently. Including a Marlbes camp Axe with the original (although cracked) handle. I’ll post pictures soon.
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Post by Paladin »

Guys,
I picked up the hatchet shown in the photos in a batch of stuff I recently acquired. It is an AMOSKEAG from the 1860s. Now I don't collect hatchets and I'd love to send it along to someone who does have interest. It will be a booger to pack and mail but I'll get 'er done.
I'll take $110, mail in the USA included.

Ray
Attachments
1-IMG_9874.JPG
1-IMG_9875.JPG
1-IMG_9876.JPG
1-IMG_9877.JPG
1-IMG_9878.JPG
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
samb1955

Post by samb1955 »

rarefish383 wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:41 pm
New_Windsor_NY wrote:
Click To Enlarge.
My first thought was why any idiot would try and hide the bell logo. Then I tried to think like I was using it many years ago. First, back then it was just a tool, probably in the company tool kit. All the gouges are on the flat, I bet someone was using it as a hammer too. Why carry an extra couple pounds around, when the company hatchet works just fine, and he wanted a wider striking surface than the skinny poll? :)
Someone may have stole it and wanted to cover up where it came from.
Berryb

Post by Berryb »

They beat on the side to tighten the head to keep it from flyin'' off the handle. I've seen a lot of axes with the same damage. When you're sittin' on the back of a truck and all of the wedges are in the shop you do what you can.
Bruce

Return to “Other Sharp Objects”