Anyone Collect Axes & Hatchets?

A place dedicated to the discussion & picture sharing of swords, hatchets, throwing knives, Native American Tools, tomahawk heads and other related items.
mrwatch

Re: Anyone Collect Axes & Hatchets?

Post by mrwatch »

Plumb ball peen marked 32 oz. I told the mall lady I can always use another persuader. $3 Unmarked like a blacksmiths hammer. One on line said rivet hammer? Has a letter stamped on each side so may be his initials? Lady said it was her grandfathers and worked for Ford Motor Co.
Attachments
Plumb
Plumb
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

mrwatch wrote:Plumb ball peen marked 32 oz. I told the mall lady I can always use another persuader. $3 Unmarked like a blacksmiths hammer. One on line said rivet hammer? Has a letter stamped on each side so may be his initials? Lady said it was her grandfathers and worked for Ford Motor Co.
Which one is the axe or hatchet? ::shrug::
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
mrwatch

Post by mrwatch »

Maybe if I sharpened the little one it may work as a hatchet. But I didn't see a thread for hammers. I see that people turn hammer heads into hatchets. If I had a torch or forge at 32 oz. it may do-able?
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Tony Wood could turn that ball peen into a hatchet and make it look good to boot.
mrwatch

Post by mrwatch »

I do not know metallurgy, is their a lot of difference between hammers and axes? The dealer I got the ADZE from had a couple of axes with really nice names on the heads. Under $150. He had a hatchet with a very nice beryllium head. I think for non sparking in a fire danger area. One nice little salesman's sample tool for $150, And another tool with several numbers which I cannot describe now for $125. I may look at that one if I get back to the next monthly show. One about the size of a hammer had a bit of a spike that he thought was for a sawmill worker to pull the boards too him.
rarefish383

Post by rarefish383 »

mrwatch wrote:Plumb ball peen marked 32 oz. I told the mall lady I can always use another persuader. $3 Unmarked like a blacksmiths hammer. One on line said rivet hammer? Has a letter stamped on each side so may be his initials? Lady said it was her grandfathers and worked for Ford Motor Co.
I use little 2 ounce ball peen hammer heads to make hat racks. I also thought I'd find enough little Plumb ball peens to make an ax rack for just my Plumb axes, but my source dried up. I figure you can put hammers in the ax thread, I've got a couple axes that are as dull as hammers.
mrwatch

Post by mrwatch »

rarefish383 I would love to see your hat racks. Also your idea for a axes stand. Thanks.
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Hawks are going in a fundraiser auction to cover the family reunion food.
Attachments
WP_20180712_031.jpg
WP_20180712_035.jpg
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Ivoryman, was/is that a working peace pipe? I like the red handle. ::tu::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
rarefish383

Post by rarefish383 »

mrwatch wrote:rarefish383 I would love to see your hat racks. Also your idea for a axes stand. Thanks.
I don't have one right now, I need 3 more ball peens. The ax rack would look just like a hat rack with 2 ball peens set just far enough apart for an ax to hang in, then a big space and 2 more. Just imagine a flat board with turned dowel rods to hang the hats on, then stick the hammer heads on the dowels.
muskrat man
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by muskrat man »

A couple restorations I did this past week.
Attachments
AA&T boys axe (1).JPG
AA&T boys axe (2).JPG
Dads collins jersey (1).JPG
Dads collins jersey (2).JPG
Dads Kelly perfect Jersey (1).JPG
Dads Kelly perfect Jersey (2).JPG
Custom knives, repair, restoration & embellishment
Certified Hubertus, Taylor, & Schrade repairman past and present
http://www.muskratmanknives.com
https://www.facebook.com/Muskratmanknives
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Like them, makes me want to look for my gloves and a tree.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Anyone in need of a vintage collection of Keen Kutter axes and hatchets please contact me. I have access to a huge collection of these as you can see from the photo below. I don’t own this collection, but am considering purchasing all of it for resale. What do you think? Should I take the plung and buy it all? My biggest problem is storage. THis is a massive collection. Any help on how well these things sell , would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Mark
Attachments
9C4675A3-B071-4E83-A925-3BFD9DD25A45.jpeg
63B40B6E-CCC4-46C1-8E98-501DC9143B23.jpeg
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

How are the hammers and the hatchets suspended from the nails?
I don't know, really, but that may reduce value of a tool right there.
Joe
muskrat man
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by muskrat man »

looks like eyescrews in the butt of the handles. shouldn't affect value much unless the handles are original
Certified Hubertus, Taylor, & Schrade repairman past and present
http://www.muskratmanknives.com
https://www.facebook.com/Muskratmanknives
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

I didn’t notice how he had them up there. I sure hope he didn’t drive a nail through that handle, surely no one would be that ignorant of what that would do to the value.
He has two huge display cases w/ drill bit sets, planes, meat grinders, vegetable cutters, safety razors, manicure sets, pipe wrenches, adjustable wrenches, and so many things I have never seen before. This collection is massive. I am really torn about passing on this or taking the plung, but it’s a lot of money and I am way out of my league on this.
Back to the topic. If there is a specific axe or hatchet made by Keen Kutter that someone is looking for, let me know and I can call him or go and look for it. Anything is for sale at the right price. I think he is over collecting and would like to get it all out of his workshop.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
rarefish383

Post by rarefish383 »

The reason I collect axes is at farm auctions they sell "CHEAP". I tend to collect more Plumbs, and I have never paid more than $10 for one. I have Collins Legitimus,Kelly, Mann, some Swedish stuff. Some nice heads bring lots of money on ebay. Follow it and take notes.
mrwatch

Post by mrwatch »

Here is a $1 ball peen hammer I picked up. no name so probably had a stick on label. gave the worn handle a bit of sanding. And my home made mallet tool for large wood carving tools. Bob
Attachments
P1000297.jpg
home made
home made
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Did you spray the matte finish on the hammer handle?
Joe
mrwatch

Post by mrwatch »

FRJ wrote:Did you spray the matte finish on the hammer handle?
Yes on the ball peen, soaked right in. Found my boiled lindseed oil so may give it a few coats.
rarefish383

Post by rarefish383 »

I started on a display board for some axes. This is the same pattern I would use with small ball peen hammer heads. I got tired of waiting to get enough to make a board, so I bought all the brass drawer pulls Ace Hardware had. I still need more. If you look in the center of the board there is a single pull buy its self. I plan on putting one between each double, and one on each end. That will give me nine axes on this board. The ones on a single pull will hang head down on a leather choker, Joe.
Attachments
20180722_191251.jpg
rarefish383

Post by rarefish383 »

For those interested, on the board above, the first on the left is a Collins Legitumus with the "Collins Genuine Hickory" script still on the original handle.The second is a Plumb Cruiser my friend hung for me. He hand shaved the handle to an octagonal, feels great in the hand. The third was my wife's grandfathers American Beauty, and last is a True Temper Kelly Perfect.
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

rarefish383 wrote:For those interested, on the board above, the first on the left is a Collins Legitumus with the "Collins Genuine Hickory" script still on the original handle.The second is a Plumb Cruiser my friend hung for me. He hand shaved the handle to an octagonal, feels great in the hand. The third was my wife's grandfathers American Beauty, and last is a True Temper Kelly Perfect.

Awesome collection!! Do they get use?
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
rarefish383

Post by rarefish383 »

There is a fellow on youtube, and a member of arboristsite, that have a "cord wood challenge" going. The goal is to Chop, split, and stack a cord of wood with an ax. I'm using the American Beauty to try to make it. I'm basically chopping down all of the little Gum trees in the woods behind my house. The biggest pieces are 4-6 inches. Not trying to split any. For the guys trying to split pieces, you have to lay them flat on the ground, being tapered on both ends, from being chopped. I did chop down and chop up one gum tree with the little Plumb throwing ax I made a few months ago. But, since mowing season is in, and all the rain here, I haven't done much with the axes, except buy a few more, Joe.
Attachments
20180223_141634.jpg
muskrat man
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by muskrat man »

Rehabbing a battered old perfect
Attachments
006.JPG
007.JPG