Old machete

A place dedicated to the discussion & picture sharing of swords, hatchets, throwing knives, Native American Tools, tomahawk heads and other related items.
JACK OF ALL TIRADES

Old machete

Post by JACK OF ALL TIRADES »

This was my fathers and mom said she thinks it was her fathers so possibly from Portugal. It's got to be 100 yrs old. I remember a loose set off handles and duck tape. I made new stocks from some wild hickory. I fought to just drill out the two old pins and enlarge the holes a bit for new fasteners. This metal is very hard and the blade is crazy sturdy with just a little flex. It got covered in new duck tape but I recovered with some leftover camo. I found a nice kydex sheath too.
Attachments
IMG_1530.JPG
SteelMyHeart85420

Re: Old machete

Post by SteelMyHeart85420 »

C'mon, man....give it more respect than new camo duct tape, put some real scales on her...who knows, your descendants might be telling a story about great-great-gramp's cutlass in another 100 years
JACK OF ALL TIRADES

I think I may do something because the grip is to thick. The stocks will definitely stay but Ima belt sand this thing down at least past the "gripping slices" I put on her under that tape.
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

I love them old ones and I got about 5 of them.
Keep Near the Cross.
JACK OF ALL TIRADES

Well I stripped off the tape and sanded the stocks down and googled ' making micarta knife grips'. I am trying it with some, leopard-like,wrapping paper. IDK what I am doing but its better
JACK OF ALL TIRADES

I don't have many knives to put up the great pics, seen here,on AAPK, so I hope to at least stop someones hicccups or give a good chuckle. Hopefully this ends up sorta ok. The bench will clean up for sure.
20190128_223048.jpg
mrwatch

Post by mrwatch »

To drill out the pins and the hard steel, use a drill press on the slowest speed with lots of oil. The newer Titanium drill bits may work better. Prices have come way down.

Return to “Other Sharp Objects”