Help with IDing this Axe

A place dedicated to the discussion & picture sharing of swords, hatchets, throwing knives, Native American Tools, tomahawk heads and other related items.
donjr

Help with IDing this Axe

Post by donjr »

Can anyone out there help me with identifying this 7 lbs. Axe? i.e. What kind of axe is it, what Mark is on it, age and possible Value? Any help would be Greatly Appreciated! All I know about it is that it is, somekind of Axe. Thanks in Advance! donjr
Attachments
DSCN9432.JPG
DSCN9439.JPG
DSCN9435.JPG
DSCN9440.JPG
DSCN9436.JPG
KleenCut61

Re: Help with IDing this Axe

Post by KleenCut61 »

You have a Broad Axe , Used to square Fresh Timber logs , ( After There Felled* ) ,Aside from the Two man Saw , There among the Earliest Lumber implements Could date back to the Pioneers Time Frame , Since it looks " OLD" and Has hand Forged shape. May be just that Used by the man who Forged it , so Not a lot of Famous Black smith forgers being Recognized these Days for there efforts , A Rustic Setting perhaps would fit the bill ( Wall Hanger* ) Just To Give you an Idea ,,, perhaps someone else can give you more .. KC Nice Find ::tu::
rarefish383

Post by rarefish383 »

I was going to say a Hewing ax, but I think KC is correct with a broad ax, I did a quick search and didn't see that much difference. I think the Hewing axes are only sharpened on one side, one bevel, and a straight blade, no curve. Most of the pics I saw of Broad axes were double beveled. But, I'm kind of new to ax collecting and identifying too. I'll gladly concede to more knowledgeable folks.
KleenCut61

Post by KleenCut61 »

Borrowed a Picture of a Hewing Axe from about the same time frame , I Believe they Are for more Detailed Work Than the Ruff Cut Broad Axe , as there isn't nearly as much Cutting Surface on Them~~ Single Beveled ..KC
Attachments
$_57 a.jpg
$_57.jpg
Woodly

Post by Woodly »

Hewing axes can be left or right handed...because sometimes one just can't stand on the other side of the log being worked. Most are on 'bent' handles to keep ones hands from getting 'knuckled' on the log being worked.
Many, same with broad axes tho there isn't much different, are marked and they are popular with collectors. I don't have a clue to the mark on that one though have seen similar or the same. Rust sure obliterates one mark whereas if a name/place was on it some of the letters may be readable and the remainder figured out.
The largest I've handled is 16" across the blade, that's a whole lot of weight to wield all day building a cabin or such.
I've seen an 18"incher in a collection.
The smallest? Under 4" and I just acquired it.

Donjr-what you have is more than just an interesting piece of history but also a nice collectible piece. Is it 10 or 12inches across the blade edge?

Return to “Other Sharp Objects”